Neighbor reported me to the city for having a "rooster" because one of my hens was very talkative yesterday...

You moved to the wrong place.
I grew up on the most depressing cul-de-sac in a decent neighborhood I think in existence. The ice-cream man had to turn off his music when he drove by my house because a neighbor reported him for disturbing the peace with his music from his ice-cream truck.

Or other neighbor right next to us would also pull down pieces of our fence so he could then call the city about our dogs being in his yard. We had it on camera as crazy as it sounds. I even caught him doing it. Most normal looking family ever putting there energy into stuff like that. It's insane. Only worse thing than putting up with them must be actually being those miserable people.

I grew up on the most depressing cul-de-sac in a decent neighborhood I think in existence. The ice-cream man had to turn off his music when he drove by my house because a neighbor reported him for disturbing the peace with his music from his ice-cream truck.

Or other neighbor right next to us would also pull down pieces of our fence so he could then call the city about our dogs being in his yard. We had it on camera as crazy as it sounds. I even caught him doing it. Most normal looking family ever putting there energy into stuff like that. It's insane. Only worse thing than putting up with them must be actually being those miserable people.
OMG! Wow!!!!

Wow that's freaking sad.
Who in their right mind hassles the ice cream man?
That's a good way to get punched in the face around here.
You do not mess with the ice cream man.
That's just a no-no.

TBH, I blame the loud dog as the root issue to the problem. Chickens are prey creatures, so a loud predator is going to stress them out. And stressed out chickens make stressed out chicken noises. The alert that they put out for these situations is essential to the survival of the flock, so I wouldn't expect them to stop any time soon if the situation remains stressful.

Would it be possible to put up privacy fencing or bushes to block any line of sight to your chickens, and possibly dampen the noises? These will have the dual effect of reducing the amount of noise that is able to leave your property as well as reducing the overall stress of your chickens and therefore reducing the noise they make to begin with.
Noise & neighbors, ugh!
Well, I planted large evergreens to help absorb some of the noise. A lot of various wind chimes can give background white noise but then some folks will complain about those, too. The hens will calm down as they adjust, but yeah, they do squawk to communicate. Darn shame people have to be so petty. 😕 I've offered free fresh eggs to my neighbors. Seems to have helped in my scenario. I wish you the best going forward.

I would probably install motion sensor cameras overlooking the yard though. You never know when terrible people decide to really ramp up their terrible behavior.
Exactly! Tragically, I know of one such occasion where some horrid person threw rat poison pellets to the chickens. That lady cried for days losing her flock in such a torturous manner. They never did figure out who did it. Another guy had a little country market, with chickens, goats & a sweet long horned bull you could feed, with little .25 cents feeders that had the proper feed dispensed. Some freaking moron fed the bull a loaf of bread & the bull died! 😔 People do the most stupid asinine things, sometimes evil, some accidental, some deliberately. Please install several cameras with signs "Smile, you're on camera" and take every precaution. Some folks are sicker than others, & you don't know just how sick in the head someone is.

Last edited:
My cousin recently moved from Austin, to the countryside. She text me and was complaining because her neighbors have roosters.
I told her that I have multiple roosters too, and that's why I live in the country.
Then I asked her why she lived in the country. I also told her that roosters have as much right to crow, as her 3 dogs have to bark.
My cousin probably would take a tape measure to your grass. She is HOA material.

Back
Top Bottom