Neighbor reported me to the city for having a "rooster" because one of my hens was very talkative yesterday...

Pics

peyton233

Chirping
Dec 25, 2020
I have had chickens for a few years now, but up until last week they lived at my parents' house. While they did live on the edge of their neighborhood and therefor had no houses directly behind them, they do have neighbors on either side of them (one of whom is notoriously over-eager to report people to the HOA or city for any perceived rule-breaking). Despite this, we never received a single complaint or even comment from anyone about the chickens while they were at my parents' house. I finally got my new coop built at my house last week and moved my girls here. There have been no issues until yesterday, when my silkie decided she was very upset about something and was admittedly very loud on and off all day. I luckily was off work and did my best to keep her quiet all day- making sure she had access to food and water, and I even let them out to roam in the yard for an hour because I felt they were bored in their run, which definitely helped.

This isn't very typical behavior for her and I did my best to keep it to a minimum. Come this morning some guy from the city ordinance department comes knocking on my door to let me know I'd been reported for owning a rooster within city limits and he had been sent to follow up/investigate. I let him know that I owned no roosters but did have chickens and he essentially told me to just make sure I have my permits in order and seemed apologetic to have to be interrupting my day.

I'm honestly very annoyed that this was the reaction as all of the neighbors who share a fence with me have very loud dogs that bark constantly every single day, so it feels very hypocritical to immediately have jumped to calling the city and reporting us for something we don't even have. However, I do want to try and avoid it happening again so I was wondering if anyone has had experience with a hen being unusually loud and ideas on how I can help keep her quiet if she starts it up again. I would hate for this to become a recurring issue or bigger point of contention.

It might be a good idea to have a friendly chat with your neighbors. Explain that 1) you don't have a rooster, 2) that the hens are probably upset about the move and should quiet down soon, 3) explain that they can get noisy when they lay, but that doesn't last more than a few minutes and 4) that you are legally within your rights to have them. Then, as you are leaving, just casually and friendly like mention, "Oh, BTW, are you aware that your dog barks all day, while you are at work?"

I would hate for this to become a recurring issue or bigger point of contention.

If your birds are legal and you are following all the appropriate regulations then don't submit to the bully. When you submit to a neighborhood bully you can be 100% sure that the bully will immediately look for another way to torment you.

Don't go out of your way to be confrontational, but don't give in even a single inch.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. They may be more likely to go to Heaven yet at the same time likelier to make a Hell of earth..."

- C.S. Lewis

and while I'm sharing bits of wisdom:

1655404422058.png

If your birds are legal and you are following all the appropriate regulations then don't submit to the bully. When you submit to a neighborhood bully you can be 100% sure that the bully will immediately look for another way to torment you.

Don't go out of your way to be confrontational, but don't give in even a single inch.
Oh, I know. I'm going to do what I can to keep the girls quiet, but I'm very annoyed that this was their first resort instead of just coming and talking to us or even giving it one more day to see if it was recurring. I'm not going to let them push me around.

I have had chickens for a few years now, but up until last week they lived at my parents' house. While they did live on the edge of their neighborhood and therefor had no houses directly behind them, they do have neighbors on either side of them (one of whom is notoriously over-eager to report people to the HOA or city for any perceived rule-breaking). Despite this, we never received a single complaint or even comment from anyone about the chickens while they were at my parents' house. I finally got my new coop built at my house last week and moved my girls here. There have been no issues until yesterday, when my silkie decided she was very upset about something and was admittedly very loud on and off all day. I luckily was off work and did my best to keep her quiet all day- making sure she had access to food and water, and I even let them out to roam in the yard for an hour because I felt they were bored in their run, which definitely helped.

This isn't very typical behavior for her and I did my best to keep it to a minimum. Come this morning some guy from the city ordinance department comes knocking on my door to let me know I'd been reported for owning a rooster within city limits and he had been sent to follow up/investigate. I let him know that I owned no roosters but did have chickens and he essentially told me to just make sure I have my permits in order and seemed apologetic to have to be interrupting my day.

I'm honestly very annoyed that this was the reaction as all of the neighbors who share a fence with me have very loud dogs that bark constantly every single day, so it feels very hypocritical to immediately have jumped to calling the city and reporting us for something we don't even have. However, I do want to try and avoid it happening again so I was wondering if anyone has had experience with a hen being unusually loud and ideas on how I can help keep her quiet if she starts it up again. I would hate for this to become a recurring issue or bigger point of contention.
When I lived in California, I had a neighbor who's lawn would look exactly the same as mine height wise. This same neighbor would then mow his yard, walk into his house, and report us to the city for slightly over-grown grass. If you want my advice, stay away from people.

TBH, I blame the loud dog as the root issue to the problem. Chickens are prey creatures, so a loud predator is going to stress them out. And stressed out chickens make stressed out chicken noises. The alert that they put out for these situations is essential to the survival of the flock, so I wouldn't expect them to stop any time soon if the situation remains stressful.

Would it be possible to put up privacy fencing or bushes to block any line of sight to your chickens, and possibly dampen the noises? These will have the dual effect of reducing the amount of noise that is able to leave your property as well as reducing the overall stress of your chickens and therefore reducing the noise they make to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom