Neighbor reported me to the city for having a "rooster" because one of my hens was very talkative yesterday...

I feel very fortunate to live in an area where I've had to call individuals down for being too loud and distressing my birds.
Yep, I've pulled a reverse Karen.
Felt good, can't deny that one bit.
I'm talking about one single man yelling at the top of his lungs trying to get dogs three places down to stop barking.
He had my whole yard worked up.
I'm out there trying to put up roosts and eventually just snapped.
It was like 90 degrees and I'm still not sorry I did it.
People don't realize crap can roll uphill if you push it hard enough.:)

It might be a good idea to have a friendly chat with your neighbors. Explain that 1) you don't have a rooster, 2) that the hens are probably upset about the move and should quiet down soon, 3) explain that they can get noisy when they lay, but that doesn't last more than a few minutes and 4) that you are legally within your rights to have them. Then, as you are leaving, just casually and friendly like mention, "Oh, BTW, are you aware that your dog barks all day, while you are at work?"
What a karen.

It might be a good idea to have a friendly chat with your neighbors. Explain that 1) you don't have a rooster, 2) that the hens are probably upset about the move and should quiet down soon, 3) explain that they can get noisy when they lay, but that doesn't last more than a few minutes and 4) that you are legally within your rights to have them. Then, as you are leaving, just casually and friendly like mention, "Oh, BTW, are you aware that your dog barks all day, while you are at work?"
Maybe that would work but it could make it worse.

My cousin recently moved from Austin, to the countryside. She text me and was complaining because her neighbors have roosters.
I told her that I have multiple roosters too, and that's why I live in the country.
Then I asked her why she lived in the country. I also told her that roosters have as much right to crow, as her 3 dogs have to bark.
My cousin probably would take a tape measure to your grass. She is HOA material.

Like those people who move close to the airport then complain about the airplanes.

That's pretty much what I figured, but I just wanted some second opinions. I'm feeling very frustrated about the whole situation and want to make sure I'm doing anything possible to keep it from happening again. Thank you for chiming in!
If it were me, I would not really be attempting to quiet the chickens down. You don't need that stress and neither do your ladies. Either they will settle down or they will continue to make noise. As long as you are within your legal rights and not hurting anyone, you have just as much right to live your life as your neighbors. Everyone has to adapt when there's change in the neighborhood. And if there are dogs barking that would definitely rile up the ladies.

I would probably install motion sensor cameras overlooking the yard though. You never know when terrible people decide to really ramp up their terrible behavior.
This very much. If you have a neighbor who is willing to report versus have a conversation there is no trust.

You've met her? 🤣

Back in the 70's the house I grew up in was right under the main approach route for Greater Pittsburgh International Airport. Not right at the end of the runway, but close enough that they had the gear down.

I've always liked airplanes and never minded the noise -- though I wouldn't have wanted a house directly off the takeoff end. But there were people who would move into new developments that boasted "convenient to the airport" as part of their amenities and then get up petitions to try to get the airport regulated.

My mother briefly worked for a small package courier service operating as a home business from their garage in such a development and her employers had a lot to say about the new neighbors who moved in and started complaining.

Back in the 70's the house I grew up in was right under the main approach route for Greater Pittsburgh International Airport. Not right at the end of the runway, but close enough that they had the gear down.

I've always liked airplanes and never minded the noise -- though I wouldn't have wanted a house directly off the takeoff end. But there were people who would move into new developments that boasted "convenient to the airport" as part of their amenities and then get up petitions to try to get the airport regulated.

My mother briefly worked for a small package courier service operating as a home business from their garage in such a development and her employers had a lot to say about the new neighbors who moved in and started complaining.
I'll never understand those people. I don't think my cousin is speaking to me. I haven't heard from her in a while. I suggested she buy some chickens of her own, and enjoy them. I love said cousin, but she is most definitely a karen.

I'll never understand those people. I don't think my cousin is speaking to me. I haven't heard from her in a while. I suggested she buy some chickens of her own, and enjoy them. I love said cousin, but she is most definitely a karen.

Neither do I.

We knew perfectly well when we moved in that we're 1/4 mile from a small sawmill. Doesn't bother us a bit -- in fact my 16yo has a part-time job there as general grunt labor.

We really should pity the people who go through life looking for things to complain about.

(They should try keeping chickens. Chickens make people happier).

Back
Top Bottom