Neighbor reported me to the city for having a "rooster" because one of my hens was very talkative yesterday...

Part of the problem, I think, is that we're in the middle of taking everyone's problems and liberties seriously, and they often collide, but we don't often have law that names priority.

Personally, I think that people need to accommodate their own issues and find their own solutions without attempting to limit their neighbors' rights.

Even within my own household, when my daughter was still living at home and had a job where she did night stockwork and had to sleep in daylight it was her own responsibility to buy blackout blinds and find a white noise source and not the entire household's responsibility to tiptoe around silently during normal waking hours.

A person who has to have an unusual degree of silence in their home can buy sound-absorbing tiles instead of trying to impose silence on their neighbors.

Of course there is nuisance-level noise, but if you live in town or in a subdivision rather than on an isolated property in the country you have to expect normal noise levels and it's your own responsibility to COPE. :)

My cousin recently moved from Austin, to the countryside. She text me and was complaining because her neighbors have roosters.
I told her that I have multiple roosters too, and that's why I live in the country.
Then I asked her why she lived in the country. I also told her that roosters have as much right to crow, as her 3 dogs have to bark.
My cousin probably would take a tape measure to your grass. She is HOA material.
Your cousin moved to the wrong place.

Oh my goodness. I have a hen or two that every once in a while goes off on a good cackle when they are working up an egg. And they all might go off at the same time if a hawk swoops over. It doesn't last very long. Certainly not as long as a barking dog. Let them keep making false reports and the city might come down on them.

I once got a visit from the police at 11 p.m. with a neighbor complaining about me dog. After a few days another officer came during the day. Quote I said, "When you can get all of the dogs in the neighborhood to quit barking, I will do something. Besides this is a neighborhood of dog owners." I never heard from them again.

Exactly! Tragically, I know of one such occasion where some horrid person threw rat poison pellets to the chickens. That lady cried for days losing her flock in such a torturous manner. They never did figure out who did it. Another guy had a little country market, with chickens, goats & a sweet long horned bull you could feed, with little .25 cents feeders that had the proper feed dispensed. Some freaking moron fed the bull a loaf of bread & the bull died! šŸ˜” People do the most stupid asinine things, sometimes evil, some accidental, some deliberately. Please install several cameras with signs "Smile, you're on camera" and take every precaution. Some folks are sicker than others, & you don't know just how sick in the head someone is.
We had a neighbor who put glass in hotdogs and threw them in our yard for our dog he didnā€™t like. (He just didnā€™t like dogs or children. He was that guy.) We called the police for that because we found the hotdogs before the dog did - thank goodness. A few weeks later, our dog went missing. We knew it was him somehow. Within a few weeks, the dog was found over an hour away. Thankfully a nice family found her and kept her healthy and safe for us. The neighbor bragged to another neighbor about doing it too. We contacted the police again, but with not much actual evidence, thereā€™s little they will do.

Document everything. Keep a camera up. Good luck.

I had lived in an area with an HOA, but they didn't have rooster rules. I had lived here 20 years, my neighbor moved in after us, and built our chicken coop, but complained about our rooster. They changed rules to not include roosters, but never enforced the rule. I keep my roosters when I have them enclosed more, a diff neighbor across the street from the complainer has a rooster, so ha-ha! I have roosters some times and keep them quiet.

I had lived in an area with an HOA, but they didn't have rooster rules. I had lived here 20 years, my neighbor moved in after us, and built our chicken coop, but complained about our rooster. They changed rules to not include roosters, but never enforced the rule. I keep my roosters when I have them enclosed more, a diff neighbor across the street from the complainer has a rooster, so ha-ha! I have roosters some times and keep them quiet.
I would imagine a rooster in the neighborhood prior to that new rule would be ā€œgrandfatheredā€ in?

ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ

One of my posts here was deleted for offensive language so I apologize, I surely do not mean to offend. I can't even recall what I wrote now, but I did use the other term for a female dog & a mule or donkey. Again, I apologize, won't happen again. šŸ˜”

Back
Top Bottom