Neighbor shooting chickens

Amandaesparza

In the Brooder
Nov 29, 2023
Hi all!

We recently moved to zoned agricultural land last November (one year ago now). Upon moving, our introduction to our neighbor was a complaint about our one rooster who we use for breeding. Long story short, she harassed us for weeks on end cursing at us via text messages and we only kindly explained the importance of our one rooster and our desire to grow and raise our own food. We live on an island where it was particularly stressful during Covid with bare shelves and shipments not coming in. I thought surely anyone would understand the importance of self sufficiency here…as well as the fact that there is nearly nowhere you can go in Hawaii without seeing chickens (and roosters!) EVERYWHERE.

Anyways fast forward a year, they did finally stop yelling in the morning and sending terrible messages, but upon processing some of our roosters recently (they were not even of age to start crowing yet) we realized these wounds in two of them. They look like bb bullet wounds and left internal damage as well. We don’t have any predators in the area and not sure what else it could be, but very unsettling if it is indeed our neighbor shooting our chickens.

What do you guys think this is? I can attach photos, but don’t want to offend anyone on here. It’s basically a small hole in its back and internal damage along the spine on the inside.

I would call the police - this is illegal in more than one way. And it is possibly becoming more than I fight between neighbors. I disagreement with neighbors is a common thing that happens and 9 times out of 10, the problem is resolved and does not involve any people or animals getting hurt. They are harassing you, yelling every morning and sending nasty text messages. But soon your chickens will be more than just getting a few BB's in their backs. They might be on their dinner table!

Please attach pictures. If you feel it necessary you could put a trigger warning in your title.

Are your chickens free range? Were the chicks in a pen of any kind? If free range, do they ever go off your property?
IMG_1375.jpeg

Chickens are not free range, they have a large section of yard, but are completely fenced in their area and do not fly out.

Attachments

• IMG_1374.jpeg
    IMG_1374.jpeg
    357 KB · Views: 19
Are they on the property line or away from it???
they aren’t on the property line, but they are near it. We put up a large fence, but where the fence ends there is a space where they can peek into our yard and have a shot at them through some thick flower foliage.. We are going to extend the fence more.

This is land zoned for agriculture and “way out” in the country.. also in a state that is known for chickens and roosters, many houses here have dozens and dozens of roosters in their yard..I don’t think we are in the wrong for moving far out and keeping one rooster for food sustainability.

We also have 4 small children always in the yard. I would hope it’s not them shooting our chickens but also can’t think of what else would cause very similar wounds on their backs. And wonder how many others were shot, we only realized when we processed them and defeathered.

they aren’t on the property line, but they are near it. We put up a large fence, but where the fence ends there is a space where they can peek into our yard and have a shot at them through some thick flower foliage.. We are going to extend the fence more.

This is land zoned for agriculture and “way out” in the country.. also in a state that is known for chickens and roosters, many houses here have dozens and dozens of roosters in their yard..I don’t think we are in the wrong for moving far out and keeping one rooster for food sustainability.

We also have 4 small children always in the yard. I would hope it’s not them shooting our chickens but also can’t think of what else would cause very similar wounds on their backs. And wonder how many others were shot, we only realized when we processed them and defeathered.
I wouldn't think that children would shoot the chickens. I have heard many times of neighbors shooting or stealing chickens. You are definitely not in the wrong. You are just one of the many chicken keepers there. You just have some pretty rude neighbors.

I wouldn't think that children would shoot the chickens. I have heard many times of neighbors shooting or stealing chickens. You are definitely not in the wrong. You are just one of the many chicken keepers there. You just have some pretty rude neighbors.
No I know our children are not the ones hurting it. My mistake, by “them” I meant our neighbors. Its just unsettling that our children are also always in the yard.

Back
Top Bottom