Wounded Chicken

BrookeP

Chirping
Feb 26, 2023
Our chickens have been slowly losing feathers for 2 months now and it didn't become concerning until recently. Since this is our first flock of chickens (we have had them about a year now) I don't know of many of the diseases or issues they have. I thought maybe molting.. more and more chickens started losing patches of hair on their backs. I thought if it was damage from the roosters it would be on their heads too but they barely have any missing hair on their heads. (I believe the roosters cut them and then it got infected) Well 2 of my chickens have bad open wounds on their sides under they wings now and they both look infected. Any guess as to what the issue is? I didn't post the more graphic picture. Also it looks like her skin is separating from her body...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240301_161957_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240301_161957_Gallery.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 15
Get the roosters out of there, and separate them. Trim any spurs and dull them with a file. Spray saline or a wound spray on the wounds and coat them with antibiotic ointment twice a day until they heal. If the wounds are not hidden well, the others may peck at them. You can separate the wounded hens in a wire dog crate with food/water within the coop or run if the wounds are pecked. It can be normal to have some feather loss from over breeding with a young rooster. How many roosters and hens doe you have, and how much room do they have? If you are seeing other feather loss that is not molting, take some pictures.

Back
Top Bottom