Neighbors are feeding wild raccoons, now what.

Oh, I don't know why it opens in the middle of the night, sorry!
Then you need to stop relying on it if it's malfunctioning. You'll have to just do things manually/physically. Go out when all the animals are in for the night and latch it closed. Early in the morning, go open it up.

As stated in many areas it's illegal to feed wildlife. I'd call and report it. I'd also get traps and dispose of anything caught on your property. Hanging them up won't deter other coons and will only invite other vermin to feed on the carcass. If they are feeding coon you will most likely have a host of all kinds of animals coming up also.
How ironic someone who likes raccoons enough that you have pet ones tells someone else to "dispose" of any raccoons caught on the property. Do only pet raccoons have the right to live because they are owned by someone like yourself? It's totally illegal in many states to have a pet raccoon.

How ironic someone who likes raccoons enough that you have pet ones tells someone else to "dispose" of any raccoons caught on the property. Do only pet raccoons have the right to live because they are owned by someone like yourself? It's totally illegal in many states to have a pet raccoon.
Lots of people around here have pet chickens and eat them. Lots of people have pet rabbits but won't think twice of killing a rabbit that's eating their garden.

Animals do not have rights; they fail to recognize the rights of other animals.

Yes, in 'many states' it IS illegal to have a pet raccoon. neo71665 is a bit of an expert on the subject.

Lots of people around here have pet chickens and eat them. Lots of people have pet rabbits but won't think twice of killing a rabbit that's eating their garden.

Animals do not have rights; they fail to recognize the rights of other animals.

Yes, in 'many states' it IS illegal to have a pet raccoon. neo71665 is a bit of an expert on the subject.
My post wasn't intended to argue about animal rights. All animals have to eat to survive, including many times eating other animals. That is how nature is set up. There is a food chain. Unlike humans, animals aren't sitting around thinking about what to eat or not eat. Their choices are limited. But it wasn't my intention to discuss that matter, either.

I just felt is was hypocritical for someone with pet raccoons to show so little concern about the lives of wild raccoons, as if their lives mean nothing, whereas her pets' lives obviously mean something. Plus, the owner is feeding raccoons, sheltering them and holding them, all the while condemning someone who might be feeding them. Just sounds hypocritical to me.

Last edited:
I just felt is was hypocritical for someone with pet raccoons to show so little concern about the lives of wild raccoons, as if their lives mean nothing, whereas her pets' lives obviously mean something. Plus, the owner is feeding raccoons, sheltering them and holding them, all the while condemning someone who might be feeding them. Just sounds hypocritical to me.
But that is EXACTLY the point. There is a HUGE difference between a pet and a wild/feral animal. I'm all about pet dogs ... but if you have a pack of feral dogs running around, they need to be put down. Farm pigs, great. Some people even have pet pigs, great. Feral pigs ... not great. Pet rat, great. Feed it, shelter it, hold it. Don't feed wild rats and if they enter the zone of your house/coop, kill them.

Would you consider a person with a pet rat a hypocrite for killing wild rats that are attacking their chickens or getting into their house?

Feeding wild raccoons is dangerous to them and to people. It's not at all hypocritical to treat wild animals and pet animals differently.

Once the predators killed the 1st duck they added your house to their list of good places to "hunt". They won't ever stop hunting your ducks until they've killed the last one then they'll start killing your chickens.Their young will be taught to hunt there and they'll teach their young to hunt there as well. My dad got by without predator proof coops or runs but I chose to keep mine in secure coops and runs when I left home.I don't have to trap or kill anything and I don't suffer loses. My neighbor pretty much keeps chickens like my dad. His flock has an open coop with no door and they free range during the day. I could blame him for luring predators in the community too because his chickens are easy picking but I don't.

Clearly, you have no idea just how much is involved in keeping a captive wild animal. In my state (as in most where its even legal at all) you must have a state issued permit renewed every two years. There are specific housing requirements and emergency protocol planning requirements; inspections may be made at any time and if anything is found unsatisfactory you can loose your license and your pet. There are vaccinations (first of all finding a vet who will even see them), enrichment, and a proper varied diet that must be provided as well. (Not to mention the obvious 15-20 year commitment to everything stated above.)

This is a FAR cry from feeding raccoons in your backyard.
I love raccoons, but I do not feed wild ones because human dependence is bad for them and me. And, yes, problem predators must be treated as such for the good of all of the animals under my care.

Back
Top Bottom