Neighbors black lab, killed my favorite chicken, options/?!

We lost hens to our neighbor's labs, he was extremely apologetic and I have not seen hide nor hair of those "Bleeps" since then. We DO however have a HUGE roaming dog problem out here in the country and if the labs got under our fence I'm sure any other dog could get under there too. I plan on buying one of those high velocity pellet rifles that many use for squirrel hunting and God help the next animal that wanders onto my property. Another option if you are not inclined to kill the dog would be to use rock salt.

To be honest though, once they get the taste of blood.... they always come back. I dread the day my neighbor becomes complacent and those dogs are allowed to run loose again. I know they will be back. This time I will be ready for it.

Finally, you can look at getting a Livestock protection dog. Caucasion Ovcharka's are beastly dogs that have been known to kill bears when defending their "flock" which includes any and every resident (cats, other dogs, chickens, kids, ect..) http://www.courageouscaucasians.com/ Then when my dog killed your dog, well.... nothing can be done to me!

I HATE roamers, they make me see red!
somad.gif

Funny part about this whole story is I went to school with this neighbor
and we talked about chickens and how they had them when they were younger
and he told me to shoot the dog that was killing my chickens.

I am almost 99% sure that it is their dog since I knocked on his door and 5 other neighbors
who all pointed the way to his house and said "That's what prob happened to the white ducks last year."

I followed his dogs tracks backwards through the snow, across the creek in February
20 feet from his yard.
And the dog hasn't been back till last Sunday.
All the visits were in the early morning/afternoon, like they were just leaving him out when they got up.

Our dog is tied out now, all the time, when the chickens are free ranging.
He goes nuts, barks like someone is killing him when the dog or dogs show up.
So now I am on the alert for the "BARK."

I am a 45 year old woman who does not want to shoot a dog,
but if the old man is away, I will have to.
I will be practicing shooting the 22 rifle soon.
Been 20 years or so since I've shot a gun.

...........and we live on 17 acres that is surrounded by a creek on 3 sides.
A bridge to our house, so he is defiantly stalking our property to get here.

Back
Top Bottom