Neighbor's cat getting into chickens! Help!!

SShuler13

Hatching
7 Years
Dec 30, 2012
Hey Guys,
Okay so I am having trouble with a domesticated cat getting into the chickens. We were going to solve the problem by well ending his/her life until we found she belonged to a neighbor, I have not had chickens until the beginning of this summer and have no idea what else to do. I wondered if anyone has had the same how they fixed it or if anyone has any ideas. They are free range chickens because it just breaks my heart to see them cages up. We have seen it every day since last month but we have chased it away from our yard just about every time. Help!!!! I also have an abused white silkies (because we had mean roosters) and I don't think that she has enough feathers for body heat to get her through the winter because every morning we let her out of their coop and she is shaking. I was thinking about making chickens saddles to help but don't know if that would help her at all! Thank you!

I had a cat that was constantly bothering my chickens. Nothing made him stop, he tormented them all day. I brought him in the house but he destroyed my favorite arm chair. So I asked a friend it in the country to take him and she did. I don't think you can deter him. Can you ask your neighbor to deal with it?

About the silkie, can you add a heat lamp to the coop?

Gosh that's a tough one. I've had dogs come on to my property and kill chickens a couple of times in the past. Since I don't like cats I have to admit I shamefully still like your first idea but that's very bad of me. I hope you can sort it out with your neighbour without falling out. Where I live the local council supply humane cat traps and if you trap one you can take it to the council pound. Owners then have to pay $150 or so to get it back. That would be an incentive for some people not to let their cat roam. Diplomacy with with the neighbour is the first option. Good luck, Deb.

Talk to the neighbor first, especially if it is someone you interact with on a regular basis. Cats aren't like dogs and therefore don't have the same regulations on roaming. If they aren't willing to work with you then the law says you can kill it if u see it harm your livestock. That includes poultry. Don't wanna go that route? Trap it, turn it in to animal control, take pictures for evidence and cat owner must compensate for your losses. That's how it works here.

Catch it and relocate it. I confronted a neighbor about her cats,and she became a NFH.Not worth the hassle of the attitude.If someone is OK letting their pets roam then they know roamers will disappear.

Catch it and relocate it. I confronted a neighbor about her cats,and she became a NFH.Not worth the hassle of the attitude.If someone is OK letting their pets roam then they know roamers will disappear.

X2! Or trap it and take it to the pound. Let the negligent neighbor pay to free it...or not. But be careful. I had the same thing with a neighbor and her dogs - and she became my personal NFH. I live in the country so I can't call animal control - the sheriff advises to shoot interloping critters if they come onto my land. Problem I have with this neighbor is if shoot one of her dogs I might come home to find my house on fire. Good luck to you!

Is it hurting your chickens?

My neighbours have 3 cats that come over. I don't worry about it. My roosters would take on the cats and they wouldn't stand a chance. Cats usually don't bother full grown chickens. I've had many. Neighbours have many. I would never kill a cat on my property. A dog, if I was allowed. Dogs can do damage. Real damage. Cats for the most part can not.

Is it hurting your chickens?

My neighbours have 3 cats that come over. I don't worry about it. My roosters would take on the cats and they wouldn't stand a chance. Cats usually don't bother full grown chickens. I've had many. Neighbours have many. I would never kill a cat on my property. A dog, if I was allowed. Dogs can do damage. Real damage. Cats for the most part can not.

My friend in montana had a pack of dogs come in and massacred her WHOLE flock. turkeys chickens etc. These were all well loved birds she had raised from eggs. The next day they came back to try to get the rabbits and her boyfriend managed to get one of the dogs before they ran off. He took the shot because they squared off on him baring teeth.

My friend in montana had a pack of dogs come in and massacred her WHOLE flock. turkeys chickens etc. These were all well loved birds she had raised from eggs. The next day they came back to try to get the rabbits and her boyfriend managed to get one of the dogs before they ran off. He took the shot because they squared off on him baring teeth.

Yeah, when dogs pack up and have done the damage your friend had done, it's game on. I wouldn't hesitate to take that kind of action if the marauders were in the act or had done the deed. But for me, if it's stray dogs (or cats) that are present but haven't done anything yet, I always go the more diplomatic route...hoping if my dog ever crosses the fence, the favor would be returned in kind. But if mine ever caused damage I would have to support others rights to protect their property as well.

Back
Top Bottom