Neighbor's cat getting into chickens! Help!!

"that" cat...? each attack is a different one, and yes I did see it.. was pinning it to the ground when I shot it.

You must have some BIG (and hungary) cats in New Zealand
ep.gif
. We had a neighbor with about 25 cats (no kidding) we would find them around the chicken coops at night , but they were not after the chickens they were after mice that hang out there. They did a great job keeping down the mouse population. After years, the neighbor ended up getting rid of all the cats (everyone) and the tiny dear mice all but took over. At first I couldn't figure out why we were getting so many mice, then it occured to me all the cats were gone..........I have a couple cats but they aren't near the hunters the neighbors cats were.
sad.png

Is it hurting your chickens?

My neighbours have 3 cats that come over. I don't worry about it. My roosters would take on the cats and they wouldn't stand a chance. Cats usually don't bother full grown chickens. I've had many. Neighbours have many. I would never kill a cat on my property. A dog, if I was allowed. Dogs can do damage. Real damage. Cats for the most part can not.
Lost two 4 month old silkies, could a cat take them?

My neighbor has at least 10 cats. I finally started running them off when I see them because one stalks them and will pounce. It's doubtful it could kill any of the grown ones but I don't like that one bit. In spite of this love of all creatures, he has given me the go ahead to shoot any if I must. He understands. I really really don't want to do that though and won't until I see evidence that it's just gone way too far. I have my youngest in an electric fence so I know they aren't bothered.

It is highly unusual that a cat will attack a full grown chicken it's true, but some do. I don't doubt the stories of cats attacking chickens myself. But it is not the usual order of business for them, and a well fed one? VERY unusual. But that's not to say it can't happen at all. For every rule, there is the exception.

My neighbor has at least 10 cats. I finally started running them off when I see them because one stalks them and will pounce. It's doubtful it could kill any of the grown ones but I don't like that one bit. In spite of this love of all creatures, he has given me the go ahead to shoot any if I must. He understands. I really really don't want to do that though and won't until I see evidence that it's just gone way too far. I have my youngest in an electric fence so I know they aren't bothered.
It is highly unusual that a cat will attack a full grown chicken it's true, but some do. I don't doubt the stories of cats attacking chickens myself. But it is not the usual order of business for them, and a well fed one? VERY unusual. But that's not to say it can't happen at all. For every rule, there is the exception.
thumbsup.gif

One of my kittens would play like you are describing. She was all play and no harm though.

I have a video of that as well... At my last house.

I think we all need proof that a cat will kill a full grown chicken.

So if anyone has any links to videos, photos, or can say from their own eye witness account.....please let us know.

So far it seem that we are all saying its 'possible' a cat could do it, and 'I heard someone say' and 'I got a dead chicken and my neighbour has cats so it must be them' etc.

Sure it may be 'possible' for a cat to kill a chicken, but it is not 'probable'. Also its 'possible' another chicken could kill another chicken, or a duck might kill a chicken..............its 'possible' little green aliens might come in the night and kill a chicken, but that is no more likely that a cat doing it.

So if anyone has any links to videos, photos, or can say from their own eye witness account.....please let us know.

So far it seem that we are all saying its 'possible' a cat could do it, and 'I heard someone say' and 'I got a dead chicken and my neighbour has cats so it must be them' etc.

Sure it may be 'possible' for a cat to kill a chicken, but it is not 'probable'. Also its 'possible' another chicken could kill another chicken, or a duck might kill a chicken..............its 'possible' little green aliens might come in the night and kill a chicken, but that is no more likely that a cat doing it.
I tend to agree. While I would never presume to say it won't ever happen, I've sure never seen it happen or lost a chicken to a cat. Absolutely chicks and young birds are vulnerable of course. Although my tiny little sebright puff's up her feathers and chases my cats out of the barn on occasion. We have a lot of feral cats in our area and I've had some pretty big, nasty toms show up and slink around but they have no access to younger birds and they won't approach the adult standard size birds. One of my own cats is a big male, (and yes he's neutered!) nearly 20 pounds and an extremely avid hunter. He wants nothing to do with the chickens and stays out of their way, if they catch him in the pasture they run him off!

Huh? My cats take a ton of rabbits. The rabbits have no defense tools and can't fly. Chickens are faster at pecking than cats are at swatting (or pouncing) and can leave the fight in a flash if they choose.

I'm all for protecting the flock, but your fear of cats getting your birds might be legitimate in NZ, but it would be out of the ordinary in the U.S. Maybe your cats are hungrier and meaner.
They are mostly ferals, rabbits bite and kicks... a territorial male can rip a chicken to shreds by biting it's head and rucking the chest. We have a lot of ferals here, and they are big and hungry... they are known to take piglets under a week old.

All attacks happens at night when the chooks are perching.

i watched the docu but they did not show cats killing anything other than a tiny mouse and a baby bird very small bird like a baby robin.

Chickens beat up rabbits when i had rabbits the chickens picked on them big huge rabbits also lol they are scared of chickens, chickens are higher rank prey items
not our wild bunnies...

Sure it may be 'possible' for a cat to kill a chicken, but it is not 'probable'.  Also its 'possible' another chicken could kill another chicken, or a duck might kill a chicken..............its 'possible' little green aliens might come in the night and kill a chicken, but that is no more likely that a cat doing it.
experience is the best teacher... when you do, pm me. ;)

Back
Top Bottom