Neighbors Cat

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by BantyHugger, May 2, 2009.

1. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    It appears that when my neighbors moved out they left behind their cat. I think it is an un-spayed male. Normally i wouldn't be terribly concerned about him seeing as some of my cats could probably feed themselves off of the local mice. However, i think he may be declawed in front (he ran over my foot today without scratching me). He is looking a little thin and one of his ears is bent over. I have never seen the ear standing up like normal so it may be his breed. He is terrified of stangers. I would leave him to be just another ferral cat, but he keeps getting into my house.
    *Underneath the house (a mobile home) one of the holes for the pipes to come through was cut too big and the cats fit through it. The other cats use it to get in and out and it seems this cat has figured it out. *
    Does anyone have any idea how i can tame this cat? I have caught and tamed feral kittens before but never an adult. I want to take him to the vet for a physical and to get his ear checked, but he won't let us touch him. Any ideas? What orange and white breeds have floppy ears and square heads? maybe its not a disease....

2. OSUman

OSUman GO BUCKS

Apr 17, 2009
    Central Illinois
    you could always live trap him and get him checked out that way

3. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    There is some breeds of cat that has curled ears. I think "american curl" is one... also feral male cats that have been neutered sometimes have a notched ear. Also some infections left untreated may cause a curled ear. As for catching him.. I'd use the same tactics as you did for the feral cats

Good luCk!

4. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    I have tamed cats like that simply by feeding them. He is scared and needs to learn to trust you.

5. chook pen jen

chook pen jen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    Collie W.Australia
    I have a cat like that, I have been feeding him for about 3 or 4 months, and when he gets a bit more tame I plan to have him neutered as I want him to get on better with my other cats. He is a lot tamer than he was when he first crept in through the cat door, I talk to him and let him see me put food down for him, but I am going to lose his trust if I take him to the vet to soon. I hope you do save this cat ,as they dont deserve to suffer for peoples stupidity.

6. texasgirl

texasgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    South Texas
    His ear probably had an aural hematoma, when they heal on their own it usually makes them curl over and they feel thickened and wrinkly. It's relatively common in outdoor dogs and cats.
    If he is declawed I highly doubt he is unneutered. It's just really rare someone would spend the money to declaw a cat (which would infer he was going to be an indoors cat) and then not neuter him (so he could spray stinky cat pee all over the house?)
    Trap him in a cat trap and run him over to the vet, they can tell you about his ear, and if he is declawed or neutered.

7. bradandcas

bradandcas Out Of The Brooder

domestic cats that have been left and abandond often do turn feral within a short period of time and have major environmental impact against native animals and birds (especially here in aus)... It would be good if you could find this cat a home as alot wouldnt give it a second chance if caught roaming without tags and for good reason without being nasty.

8. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    Quote:Good point. He probably is neutered/spayed (we don't get a very good look at that end of him). I will see what rescue groups are around here and hopefully some one will loan me a live trap. I really believe he has been declawed because my dog trapped him in a tree this morning. When i went to bring her inside the cat jumped down grabbed her face with his font paws and bunny-kicked with the back ones. She only has wounds from the back paws. I am a little curious about why someone would pay to have him medically cared for and then just leave him?

9. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    If the cat has been a house cat, he is probably on "sensory overload" too. One of my house cats got out last winter and spent the night outside. I hardly slept worring about the lug. The next day he was by the barn and hissed when I picked him up. I think he was just overloaded by all the new scents and being unfamiliar with the surroundings.

People should really take more responsibility with their pets. Poor kitty is probably scared to death, which is making him shy of strangers. Speak softly to him and attract him to you with food. You will win him over. Slowing approach him while he is eating, stopping to sit a while and talk to him. Its a slow method but it does work....I have 6 "barn cats" that I have used this method on and it worked for 5. Stinker just has a strict no touch policy.

10. MrsCountryChick

MrsCountryChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    PA
    Sadly we live in the country & have acquired our outside dog to a puppy drop-off......now a full sized happy huge cow of a dog, lol. But I've found homes for numerous kittens from stray drop offs here. Sadly our one house cat was another drop off that we found was neutered & front declawed, a Siamese mix, so sad what animals suffer from due to people's ignorant ways. But he's my husband's best buddy...(& he's not even an animal person [​IMG] ).[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by