Neighbor's dog attacking chickens.

Dogs running loose in most areas is against the law. Also in most areas if they are attacking livestock you are permitted to shoot them. Find out if that's the case were you live. If so tell the neighbor what the law is and the next time the dog won't be coming home. Don't get me wrong I have dogs, have raised, trained and shown them for close 50 years. And I've never had a dog on anyone else's property. Good Luck

IMO, when it's a neighbor's dog and if possible, the best thing to do is to catch or trap the dog and take it to the shelter, repeat as needed.

Good, non lethal strategy. As was the person who suggested 'paintball gun' to send the owner 'a message'.

I think though, paintball gun, or even threats of "come pick up your dead dog" will ultimately lead to neighbour war - because of the mentality of the dog owner. Let's face it, dog owner is too dumb to have dogs, possibly even to exist himself. But it is the whole "all types make up the world" thing. Unfortunately, there are stupid people, and dangerous people, and sometimes that goes together.

The beauty about the "calling the pound" strategy is that you get taken out of the mix. Focus then goes onto animal control and fines paid. And those neighbours won't want to pay the fine (motivation for irresponsible people), not that I am really pro-govt/pro-bureaucracy.

As others suggested, make your chickens more secure - from other predators. Basically, everything wants to eat chicken. If the neighbour's dog can get them, then the local foxes, coyotes, eagles, hawks, and everything else can get them too. It really is unpleasant to come across a pile of feathers that was, a short time before, a lovely little hen with personality. My brother-in-law and I did the 'forensic' investigation on the five massacred by foxes, with mother and cubs likely the culprits. At least three, maybe four involved.

So my vote would be the animal control route if you can either catch it or they can respond. The paintball option if not possible. And sure up your feathered babies regardless.

They have live traps for coyotes so maybe that would be an option to catch it... Hunting dogs tend to be trained not to return to anyone but their owner so catching while it's running around might not be an easy task. Animal control/sheriff are best options. Not only can they be fined for the dog, but they can receive a bill to replace chickens and possibly any damage to the coop their dog causes.
Once sheriff talks with you that you have the right to shoot it I'd verify you don't have to contact neighbor and just dispose of it yourself.
Good luck

Nomibird - I'm looking for a virtually predator proof chicken tractor - can you post pictures of yours please to give us all some ideas? Please !! Thanks !!!
Sorry, I don’t read this often. DCC9DDD5-4CB9-4750-8391-E75C08B24C1E.jpeg 66C3F0AD-DCCE-4FE1-8A67-C30DB563867D.jpeg DCC9DDD5-4CB9-4750-8391-E75C08B24C1E.jpeg 66C3F0AD-DCCE-4FE1-8A67-C30DB563867D.jpeg I hope these come through. We use hard wire cloth and there is a 12 inch skirt around the bottom so predators must dig down and under that 12 inches to get in. And this is my first time inserting photos and I appear to not do it well.

Attachments

• 61A6907F-5BC2-417C-9574-733440024D6E.jpeg
    61A6907F-5BC2-417C-9574-733440024D6E.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • DCE6DE89-4039-467D-861A-345D89E9EEA9.jpeg
    DCE6DE89-4039-467D-861A-345D89E9EEA9.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • 09B528BD-10CC-487F-BF5B-7E3E502DD86D.jpeg
    09B528BD-10CC-487F-BF5B-7E3E502DD86D.jpeg
    814.1 KB · Views: 12
Can you operate the tractor alone or do you need additional help?
The pictures posted. Seems like a mission accomplished to me.

Sorry, I don’t read this often. View attachment 3387208View attachment 3387207View attachment 3387208View attachment 3387207I hope these come through. We use hard wire cloth and there is a 12 inch skirt around the bottom so predators must dig down and under that 12 inches to get in. And this is my first time inserting photos and I appear to not do it well.
That is awesome! Do you have trouble moving it with the skirt, do you just clip or hook that up when you move it so it doesn't catch on everything. I need to have a skirt on the one i'm going to build and was struggling about how to work that with wheels but your design illustrates a solution to that. Thank you!

I knew there would be losses, and I hoped and expect that the rooster has prevented some. But the issue is the way the neighbor knows the dog can escape from the fenced area and has not taken any measures to prevent further instances even though the dog has attacked my chickens two days in a row.
We have a new neighbor who let's her dogs loose and has about 8 cats we are in a very rural area with a 428 ft shared boundary. I have had to let her know that I will trap her cats and call animal control on her dogs, or dire consequences. She could care less about anybody around her and is breaking several laws just by living in her house. The County is letting her get away with it.

We have a new neighbor who let's her dogs loose and has about 8 cats we are in a very rural area with a 428 ft shared boundary. I have had to let her know that I will trap her cats and call animal control on her dogs, or dire consequences. She could care less about anybody around her and is breaking several laws just by living in her house. The County is letting her get away with it.
It depends how serious it is. I know my neighbor does alot of things that breaks regulations that I will never report because I refuse to be a Karen. When his actions start negatively impacting me or my livestock is the only time I'll consider it.

After animal control visited him, I haven't seen the dog, but I still built a fence just in case.

Back
Top Bottom