Neighbor's dog attacking chickens.

because

IMO, when it's a neighbor's dog and if possible, the best thing to do is to catch or trap the dog and take it to the shelter, repeat as needed. In my neck of the woods it cost the owner $100+ to get their dog back, that would get old quick.

I'm not at all opposed to shooting a livestock killing dog, but you need to weigh your options and consider the future ramifications of those actions. Living next to someone that really has it in for you can be a whole lot worse than losing a few chickens. YMMV
In my neck of the woods, there is NO shelter. I have called the Sheriff (our animal control) about a dog attacking my livestock, he came out, viewed the carnage, next time the dog came back, I called again. Sheriff showed up, big glass of iced tea, we sat on porch-a long time-dog showed up, and he shot it. Problem solved. He said, he has criminals etc....(true serious police issues), and won't tolerate predatory dog(animal) calls.

I knew there would be losses, and I hoped and expect that the rooster has prevented some. But the issue is the way the neighbor knows the dog can escape from the fenced area and has not taken any measures to prevent further instances even though the dog has attacked my chickens two days in a row.
Capture the dog and wait for owner to come get. Tell him next time you have to call animal control. Good luck. Neighbors and all those issues are so stressful. Its not like you can just pack up and move away. Good luck! Keep an eye on those fine feathered friends of yours 🐓

I think though, paintball gun, or even threats of "come pick up your dead dog" will ultimately lead to neighbour war - because of the mentality of the dog owner.
The OP is already in a neighbor war. They just fail to understand it. I chase off strays with a pellet gun. Any dog on my property even if they aren't attacking my chickens get run off. If I catch one attacking my chickens then I won't hesitate to kill it. If it's the neighbor's dog and they won't control it, then show them the video and tell them next time you'll kill the dog. If they make a big fuss over it, then tell them that you're trying to be good neighbor by giving them the chance to secure the dog. I feel like if you've given them fair warning then it's on them, not you.

The dog is doing what comes naturally. But that doesn't mean you have to just take the loss as he decimates your chickens. Unfortunately it's illegal to shoot the owners instead of the dogs, but such is the law.

I totally agree! If any animal is threatening my property, livestock, or me-i shoot to kill. I've had a dog destroy my coop and kill every chicken. Then she chased the other neighbors horses (into a barware fence). The horse owner shot her -did the entire neighborhood a favor.
The OP is already in a neighbor war. They just fail to understand it. I chase off strays with a pellet gun. Any dog on my property even if they aren't attacking my chickens get run off. If I catch one attacking my chickens then I won't hesitate to kill it. If it's the neighbor's dog and they won't control it, then show them the video and tell them next time you'll kill the dog. If they make a big fuss over it, then tell them that you're trying to be good neighbor by giving them the chance to secure the dog. I feel like if you've given them fair warning then it's on them, not you.

The dog is doing what comes naturally. But that doesn't mean you have to just take the loss as he decimates your chickens. Unfortunately it's illegal to shoot the owners instead of the dogs, but such is the law.

When the dog comes over can you catch it? if you can, then start the process of getting it picked up by animal control. I would even inform neighbor you caught but make so coming to get it without your permission is trespassing. This is to give dog owner some realized cost.

That said, I would still be looking in ways of protecting the chickens better as those dogs will not be your only troubles over time.

I post this based on considerable experience with these matters.
When the dog comes over can you catch it? if you can, then start the process of getting it picked up by animal control. I would even inform neighbor you caught but make so coming to get it without your permission is trespassing. This is to give dog owner some realized cost.

That said, I would still be looking in ways of protecting the chickens better as those dogs will not be your only troubles over time.

I post this based on considerable experience with these matters.
I have noticed this same thing, I do not have a "flock" per say, but will soon, thankfully and most unfortunately, I have learned through the death of several cats, that our neighbors don't care what their dogs are doing until they have to retrieve them from animal control with a fee/fine. I have not seen either of the 3 dogs in almost 4 months, so I don't know if they were surrendered or kenneled, but this tactic seems to hit where it hurts them, and not me and mine!

We have a new neighbor who let's her dogs loose and has about 8 cats we are in a very rural area with a 428 ft shared boundary. I have had to let her know that I will trap her cats and call animal control on her dogs, or dire consequences. She could care less about anybody around her and is breaking several laws just by living in her house. The County is letting her get away with it.
Aynesidea, I know this thread is a little older, but your situation sounds like mine. I've got a neighbor near me who has tons of cats and multiple dogs that regularly run across several acres of her property and then several acres of my property to try to dig into our coop. I can't even let my chickens out of the coop into a fenced area because the last time they were in there unsupervised, the neighbors dogs broke through the premier poultry fencing to kill and scatter all my hens. Everyone around here is related or has known each other since the dawn of time, so I'm reluctant to start a war, but I really don't want to risk her dogs injuring my animals or kids. Her attitude is "we all used to have chickens around here, now we don't." What did you end up doing about your neighbor? Have things gotten better?

Aynesidea, I know this thread is a little older, but your situation sounds like mine. I've got a neighbor near me who has tons of cats and multiple dogs that regularly run across several acres of her property and then several acres of my property to try to dig into our coop. I can't even let my chickens out of the coop into a fenced area because the last time they were in there unsupervised, the neighbors dogs broke through the premier poultry fencing to kill and scatter all my hens. Everyone around here is related or has known each other since the dawn of time, so I'm reluctant to start a war, but I really don't want to risk her dogs injuring my animals or kids. Her attitude is "we all used to have chickens around here, now we don't." What did you end up doing about your neighbor? Have things gotten better?

Things got alot better for me after calling animal control. I think they set him straight that he was actually the one in the wrong.

I also greatly beefed up perimeter fencing.

If the problem came back I would invest in a large animal trap they sell at tractor supply that a dog would fit in, or last case scenario, a pack of buckshot. I love animals and especially dogs, but I have to protect my babies.

Things got alot better for me after calling animal control. I think they set him straight that he was actually the one in the wrong.

I also greatly beefed up perimeter fencing.

If the problem came back I would invest in a large animal trap they sell at tractor supply that a dog would fit in, or last case scenario, a pack of buckshot. I love animals and especially dogs, but I have to protect my babies.
Thanks. I like to deal with things just between people, but my neighbor doesn't seem to give a crap. So, I'm probably going to have to call animal control too. The neighbor's dogs were on my property today less than 24 hr since my last interaction with my neighbor. Some how I don't think my neighbor is going to change anything without intervention.

Calling animal control was also my last resort which I resisted to try not being seen as 'the Karen neighbor'. Unfortunately your neighbor has already crossed that line by not addressing the problem. He needs it spelled out that he is in the wrong and the dogs can be seized if it persists. He also needs to know that you are legally allowed to kill any animal which harms your livestock.

I won't lie, it got to the point where I was looking for ways to discretely make the dog disappear. I was even very close to just running out with the shotgun once.

Back
Top Bottom