Neighbor's dog came back for our ducks today! What to do?

That's why i have started this thread and uploaded the pictures.
But i'd like to document this more officially. Can i just go to the sheriff's office and report it?
I don't want to press charges unless they do, but in case they do, i want to be prepared.
Yes,call and report, especially since there was a bite.

They’d have no case even if you shot it! I probably would have! That’s some BS... your property, your pets... you have the right to defend it. They sound like seriously negligent nightmare neighbors. I’m sorry you’re going through this, but seriously... shotgun time.
The dog was within 10 yards of my house and it was inside of the fenced in area for the ducks. I am sure that i am allowed to shoot the dog in that situation, especially when i saw it with one of my ducks in its mouth - but i don't own a firearm.
The neighbor is threatening us with animal cruelty because she thinks we beat her dog with a shovel.

I would like to present a some thoughts and suggestions on this scenario:

1> Your neighbour has a responsibility to keep her dog on her own property and to not let it be a nuisance to her neighbours or your birds.
2> Your description of the events that happened next day tell me the dog acted in a fearful/scared manner. It knew it should not be on your property and when it could not easily escape it has acted defensively - including biting you. This does not mean that the dog is inherently dangerous.
3> The argument has resulted because your neighbour has then also acted in fear, that you will involve the police or perhaps take some action that might result in her dog being taken away.

I Suggest -
Open a line of communication with your neighbour again, ask them to come meet with you over a cup of tea (be sure to tell them that this meeting is a peacemaking mission and make it as non threating as possible).

Explain that it is in BOTH your interests to ensure that the dog doesn't do this again.

Explain that you believe the dog acted in a defensive manner and that you do not wish to take any action against the dog 'for that one example', but that you also had a need to protect your ducks and yourselves - hence your wife holding a space.

Show her your injuries - so that she has clear evidence to show that her dog bit you - and reiterate that your combined efforts to sort this situation is required to avoid a repeat scenario.

Offer suggestions to your neighbour if you have any - can they kennel their dog until the fix hole can be fixed? Decide who's responsibility is it to fix the fence hole and/or come to an agreement as to who/how the fence will be fixed.

In future - if the dog comes back to your property - your actions should include the following:

1> Address the immediate concern - remove the ducks to a safe location.
2> Photograph/Film/Document Details
3> DO NOT aggressively chase or approach the dog. Let it retreat to a corner or under a bench then either calmly call your neighbour to retrieve her dog or call a dog control officer to remove the dog.

Definitely report the bite and the incident asap to your county sheriffs office & health authority. In my state (texas) the dog will need to be quarrantined at home if current on rabies shot, or quarrantined at a local animal hospital, the pound, etc if not currently vaccinated. If the dogs owner doesnt want to do this, the dog will be euthanized & tested for rabies. Once a dog/other animal bites a human, it is a game-changer. Considered much more serious than an animal "merely" killing livestock, which is in most areas legitimate grounds to shoot to kill in order to protect ones livestock. Your neighbor is using classic bullying/intimidation tactics against you. You are 100% in the right & have done nothing wrong, so dont be afraid of neighbor' s threats. Call her bluff and notify the authorities asap.

I would like to present a some thoughts and suggestions on this scenario:

1> Your neighbour has a responsibility to keep her dog on her own property and to not let it be a nuisance to her neighbours or your birds.
2> Your description of the events that happened next day tell me the dog acted in a fearful/scared manner. It knew it should not be on your property and when it could not easily escape it has acted defensively - including biting you. This does not mean that the dog is inherently dangerous.
3> The argument has resulted because your neighbour has then also acted in fear, that you will involve the police or perhaps take some action that might result in her dog being taken away.

I Suggest -
Open a line of communication with your neighbour again, ask them to come meet with you over a cup of tea (be sure to tell them that this meeting is a peacemaking mission and make it as non threating as possible).

Explain that it is in BOTH your interests to ensure that the dog doesn't do this again.

Explain that you believe the dog acted in a defensive manner and that you do not wish to take any action against the dog 'for that one example', but that you also had a need to protect your ducks and yourselves - hence your wife holding a space.

Show her your injuries - so that she has clear evidence to show that her dog bit you - and reiterate that your combined efforts to sort this situation is required to avoid a repeat scenario.

Offer suggestions to your neighbour if you have any - can they kennel their dog until the fix hole can be fixed? Decide who's responsibility is it to fix the fence hole and/or come to an agreement as to who/how the fence will be fixed.

In future - if the dog comes back to your property - your actions should include the following:

1> Address the immediate concern - remove the ducks to a safe location.
2> Photograph/Film/Document Details
3> DO NOT aggressively chase or approach the dog. Let it retreat to a corner or under a bench then either calmly call your neighbour to retrieve her dog or call a dog control officer to remove the dog.
Of course the dog acted in a defensive manner! - It couldn't find a way out and then aggressively ran towards me, so i had to look more dangerous to defend myself, making the dog more fearful and so the situation spiraled out of control.
I don't blame the dog!
I blame my reckless neighbor: She promised me to take care of her dog and yet just 24 hours later it was back for my ducks!

There are no fences here, the properties are just too large and too steep to run fences. Another neighbor is running wire-ropes between their trees and shackles a long leash to those, so that their dog can run around a lot, but cannot leave their property.

Thing is, that is not even my direct neighbor: Their dog crossed another property before running on my property and then jumped the fence into my duck run. That fence is ~30 yards away from the property line.

Ugh! - I called animal control and ended up in a voice-mail. Described what had happened, left my contact data and asked for a call-back.
Called the non emergency line and they forwarded me to county animal services who declared themselves not responsible as the dog had not killed lifestock.
Called the sheriffs office and they recorded the case and told me an animal control officer would call me back.
That was an hour ago.
Not sure what to do about the injury, already have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow for something else, so she might be able to tell me what to do with it.
I rinsed the wound with 150 proof alcohol and applied some antibiotic ointment. It burns like hell…

Back
Top Bottom