Neighbor's dog came back for our ducks today! What to do?

Pics
Easier said than done: There are no fences on my property at all! And the direct property line that i would have to cover is about 300 meters (1,000') long, so it is a cost factor!
I will start with a Cedar post in the corner, a really sturdy one with diagonal support studs (or whatever they are being called) and then set-up an electric fence first.
Later that electric fence will be replaced with a wattle-fence, segment by segment, topped with an electric wire to keep climbing predators out too.
But that will take time, as i need to find a way to fund all this…
I did a fence for my chickens it wasn't that pricey you could use 5ft or 6 tall T-Post from HompeDepot or Lowes and get 5ft or 6ft tall Chicken wire and connect it to the T posts here is what my fence looks like

Fence

the problem with that kind of fence is it will keep your birds in but it's not going to keep any kind of predator or dog out. Chicken wire is only for chickens.
Oh I didn't know that its because I have a friend who has ducks and chickens and she said that this fence worked great for her so I should try it out and I did and it worked for me

Yes- all my (non-metal) ground posts are treated and I am the queen of fancy insulators galore!

I was expressing jealousy for $7, 8ft cedar posts being available where Hillbilly lives. Around here $35 for ONE 4x4. $12 for ONE 2x4.
Wait! Don't be jealous so quickly: You are talking about dimensional lumber when mentioning 4x4 or 2x4, a pressure treated 4x4x8 here is more expensive than a red-cedar fence post:
1610341106992.png

Update on Nona Duck, she has developed a severe limp in her left leg!
Right after the attack she wasn't limping at all and now, five days later she limps!
How can that be? And no, the drakes show no interest in her.
I will post a video of her later today.

I didn't read through the whole thread, but wanted to share my similar experience.

When I was a teen my family had ducks. My mom caught the neighbor's black lab after our ducks one time and scared him away. The second time he came back he was successful in killing a duck, and when my mom tried to scare him away, he started chasing her. My stepdad blasted the dog with a shotgun, killing it, and fixed the problem for good. We had asked the neighbors dozens of times to restrain the dog, and they never did.

I'm not saying that was the best outcome or the right thing to do by law, but my feelings were never hurt that the dog died. It is a shame too many dog owners don't care about taking care of their dogs.

Glad to hear your duck is better. I hope you find a reasonable solution, hopefully one that doesn't involve any more deaths or disputes.
I will secure my land with an electric fence, have already started with the first post today, but hit an unexpected obstacle… see my later post. I do not want to kill the dog, only as a last resort…

Back
Top Bottom