Neighbor's dog came back for our ducks today! What to do?

Pics
I know this is a bit into the future- but I would stick with keeping the electric line on the outside (the side that faces the threat) - at a spot the animal would have to touch before attempting to scale your waddle fence.

Getting shocked by the fence requires contact with the ground... and all the better if there is moisture in the ground. The reason birds can stand on electric lines and live to tell about it is because there's no ground contact.

You can, of course, put a wire at/near the top, but I would still offset it onto the side the dog comes from (as opposed to the apex of the fence), say 3-5" out in front of the top of the fence. Again- depending on the height - for the dog (or other invader) to get the deterrent shock up there, you'll have to run a separate wire that connects to the ground wires, and those two will have to be close enough that once off the ground, the critter touches both of them at once to be shocked.

The height of my artwork abilities below: The maroon box is the fence energizer. There are two connections on the box. My green line is the ground wire. The ground wire goes to your metal ground rods (the purple lines, pounded into the ground). The ground wires are wired together with ground rod clamps, and put in a spot that ideally stays nice and moist. The red one (the "hot" wire) goes to the polywire and is where the electric pulse does its work.

If you keep all the polywire at the level where the dog's feet are still on the ground to deter it from climbing, then the ground wire stops at the ground rods, at the 3rd yellow spot.

If you intend to put an electric wire all the way up top, where the dog's feet would no longer be touching the ground (the wood fence won't count as being on the ground) you need a separate wire run from the ground rods down the length of the fence at the top positioned so the dog would have to touch both the line from the ground rods and the polywire itself before making it over the fence. Otherwise, it's not going to get much of a shock up there- if any.

View attachment 2483872
For the future, when i build the wattle fence, the plan is to run two sets of wires - actual wires - along the fence. One set of wires at the bottom of the fence ~30cm (1') above ground and another one at the height of a deer nose to keep the deer away from my salad and kale. I am thinking about one hot wire with one ground wire above and below.
And each set of wires will be driven by a separate fence electrifier, just in case if one breaks.
I am also thinking of running an additional wire on top of the fence and hook it up to my tesla coil. The light effect would be crazy and deter everybody, humon's inclusive.

I know, i know, but i can't convince my stupid brain to accept the taste of yuckgurt or shuddermilk, i just can't swallow it. It is the smell and the taste that makes my stomach cramp even before i even try to eat it, i feel sick already… :sick
I will choke down some fresh Sauerkraut once i'm done with the horse-pills.
Put yogurt in a blender with some frozen fruit for the best smoothie ever :)
Or just take a probiotic (they even make chewable ones) :)

Update on Nona Duck, she has developed a severe limp in her left leg!
Right after the attack she wasn't limping at all and now, five days later she limps!
How can that be? And no, the drakes show no interest in her.
I will post a video of her later today.

Update on Nona Duck, she has developed a severe limp in her left leg!
Right after the attack she wasn't limping at all and now, five days later she limps!
How can that be? And no, the drakes show no interest in her.
I will post a video of her later today.

I have no ducks ... but I have to wonder if one of the dog bite locations has become infected and is causing her lameness now. Dog bites tear a lot of tissue and their mouths are filthy in terms of bacteria. I would look her over very carefully- feel for areas that are warmer - and smell to see if you can detect a trouble spot.

If you find a puncture that looks suspicious, I would lance it at the lowest spot... so as to let any further drainage drip out instead of refilling and scabbing over. Then, empty it then use hydrogen peroxide in a syringe to get it cleaned up (but only use hydrogen peroxide for the first treatment) - then triple antibiotic ointment or Vetricyn.

Today I found a hen with just a dime sized zit looking thing. I opened it up and it was delightful, yellow fluid and had delicious chunks. I'm pretty sure it started as an ingrown feather.

I too suffer from CRS after this many pages, so I'm not sure if Nona has been on antibiotics as part of her treatment plan. If she's not, I would strongly consider it. If she is, I would look at changing which variety.. And of course do the obvious look over for something like bumble foot.

I have no ducks ... but I have to wonder if one of the dog bite locations has become infected and is causing her lameness now. Dog bites tear a lot of tissue and their mouths are filthy in terms of bacteria. I would look her over very carefully- feel for areas that are warmer - and smell to see if you can detect a trouble spot.

If you find a puncture that looks suspicious, I would lance it at the lowest spot... so as to let any further drainage drip out instead of refilling and scabbing over. Then, empty it then use hydrogen peroxide in a syringe to get it cleaned up (but only use hydrogen peroxide for the first treatment) - then triple antibiotic ointment or Vetricyn.

Today I found a hen with just a dime sized zit looking thing. I opened it up and it was delightful, yellow fluid and had delicious chunks. I'm pretty sure it started as an ingrown feather.

I too suffer from CRS after this many pages, so I'm not sure if Nona has been on antibiotics as part of her treatment plan. If she's not, I would strongly consider it. If she is, I would look at changing which variety.. And of course do the obvious look over for something like bumble foot.
I didn't had a chance to examine her today, but for sure will do tomorrow and i will do my best to make a new video of her.

Yesterday the neighbor's dog almost killed our beloved Nona Duck:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-and-is-breathing-heavy.1437864/post-23813263

I spoke with the neighbor yesterday when they brought injured Nona back home and she promised me to keep her dog at home.

Obviously she was not very successful and the dog came back for our ducks. The ducks alerted me, i looked out of the window and saw the dog with another duck in its mouth and, ran out of the house yelling loudly. The dog let go of the duck and tried to flee, but could not find a way through the fence (2ft tall), panicked and turned on me. I cornered it and called the neighbor to pick it up and a loud argument started, she is accusing us to have her dog injured with a shovel (my wife had a shovel in her hand b/c she was afraid of the growling, barking and snapping dog). Neighbor is threatening us with the police and the law now and i am not sure what to do now, i like to report the incidence somewhere just in case the neighbor really tries to press charges.
Call animal control and make complaint about the dog tell them to go ahead and call the cops if the dog is on your property you have the God given right to protect yourself and your animals with whatever you choose to protect yourself with

I agree make sure you clean her wounds well and get her on antibiotic and vitamin water

Back
Top Bottom