Neighbor's dog came back for our ducks today! What to do?

Pics
We don't have "Animal Control" here as this is a very rural area, we have "Animal Services" instead. It looks like they mostly "serve" themselves though… :(
Well, you may have to be animal control. No one has to put up with a vicious destructive animal. Put the owners on notice, you control your dog or I will.

You're not trying to eat plain yogurt straight, are you? Yeah, not many can choke that down, lol! Have you tried the ones with fruit?
Any kind of diary product that tastes slightly sour is causing a rather violent defensive reaction of my stomach! I know it is psychological but i can't fight it. I don't even know where it comes from. I can eat cheese only when it is molten and it took me a very loooong time before i was able to eat a slice of pizza. Kind of a nocebo effect in me.

Thank you!

No duckies until next month! Aaaarrrgghhh!!!! But it gives me time to finish their house.

I didn't want to order any birds this year because I had a shipping disaster a couple of years ago. But not many of my usual local sources are selling chicks this year. Those that are selling chicks have large minimums. I don't want 10+ chicks (well, I do, but that would be irresponsible of me!).

But, I found out Meyer ships their ducks out of California, which is great news! I live in CA. The duckies won't have far to go!

I want to ask about Nona, but I imagine you mention her in later posts. I haven't read that far yet!
LOL! You live in California? - Why would you order ducklings from Meyer's in Ohio?
Meyers is just forwarding your duckling order to Metzer Farms in Gonzales and they ship the birds.
I have not yet posted a Nona update, but i will do so next and it is good news!

Update on Nona Duck, good news:

She is improving quickly! She no longer moves like Grandma Duck, today was more like Old Momma Duck. She joined the cat food feeding frenzy, ate cat food out of the container, then was brave enough again to eat from my hand.
After the cat-food was finished and most of the ducks fled the scene, she stood in front of me and talked for a couple of minutes. Quaking, bickering, bobbing her head, squeaking, finally flapping her wings and walking off to the waterer upright like a proud Runner Duck.
I think she was telling me her story to relieve herself! I wish i could better understand Duck.

LOL! You live in California? - Why would you order ducklings from Meyer's in Ohio?
Meyers is just forwarding your duckling order to Metzer Farms in Gonzales and they ship the birds.
I have not yet posted a Nona update, but i will do so next and it is good news!

I KNOW. Ugh. And Metzer is offering free shipping. But their minimum orders are too many for me. I ordered 3 ducks. I don't need nor have room for 10 right now.

Well, you may have to be animal control. No one has to put up with a vicious destructive animal. Put the owners on notice, you control your dog or I will.
My wife already took that role, she said to the neighbor: »If i ever see your dog again with our ducks he will be dead!«

I KNOW. Ugh. And Metzer is offering free shipping. But their minimum orders are too many for me. I ordered 3 ducks. I don't need nor have room for 10 right now.
Who told you that? The Minimum shipment size with Metzer's is three ducklings, but they will add a hefty "small-shipment" fee, like i would expect with Meyer's too:
1610301224568.png

Easier said than done: There are no fences on my property at all! And the direct property line that i would have to cover is about 300 meters (1,000') long, so it is a cost factor!
I will start with a Cedar post in the corner, a really sturdy one with diagonal support studs (or whatever they are being called) and then set-up an electric fence first.
Later that electric fence will be replaced with a wattle-fence, segment by segment, topped with an electric wire to keep climbing predators out too.
But that will take time, as i need to find a way to fund all this…
I did a fence for my chickens it wasn't that pricey you could use 5ft or 6 tall T-Post from HompeDepot or Lowes and get 5ft or 6ft tall Chicken wire and connect it to the T posts here is what my fence looks like

Fence

I did a fence for my chickens it wasn't that pricey you could use 5ft or 6 tall T-Post from HompeDepot or Lowes and get 5ft or 6ft tall Chicken wire and connect it to the T posts here is what my fence looks like

Fence
the problem with that kind of fence is it will keep your birds in but it's not going to keep any kind of predator or dog out. Chicken wire is only for chickens.

Back
Top Bottom