Neighbors dog got my rooster today as he was protecting his hens. Captured on security camera

First post here and I wish it was under better circumstances. Just started raising chicks this spring for the first time. Started out with 12 chicks back in the spring and one of them turned out to be a rooster. They just started laying about 2 weeks ago.

I setup up a coop with a very small run (3x7) back when we first got them, which was really way less space than they need. So we started letting them free range which went really well at first, but then the neighbor's dog got one of them about a month ago. We talked to them about it and came up with a plan to coordinate when we let the chicken free range vs. they let their dog out. All was well for the last 3 weeks, but then today we noticed the rooster went missing. Looked all over but couldn't find the poor guy.

On a hunch I checked my security cameras and was very upset with what I found. The neighbors dog was loose today despite our agreement and the chickens were out at the same time. Dog was up on the road and spotted the hens in our driveway and came in after them. But our brave rooster did all he could to keep the dog away, but in the end the dog of course prevailed.

Here's a link to the footage of the brave protector's final few minutes fending off the dog for as long as he could. I'm so proud of him but also very sad at the same time.

Needless to say, I'll be building a larger run for them after this episode as soon as I figure exactly how I'm going to do that given the location of the coop on a somewhat hilly slope.

Again, I really wish it was under better circumstances that I make my first post here, but I felt like I had to share my little guy's valiant effort to scare off the predator in an effort to protect his flock. He gave his life for them and I'm going to do what I can to maintain his legacy and protect the flock.

Im not sure where you are located and im very sorry you lost your brave boy. I have a cockrell in oklahoma you are welcome to if you want to have another roo for your girls.

I m very sorry about your roo. TBH I couldn’t finish watching the video.

I am not a fan of getting any type of law enforcement involved unless I just had to. IMHO, even worse things could begin happening besides losing birds.

Your chickens definitely do need more “chicken run” space, however, I would first put my money (and the neighbors’ too, since they are willing to help) on a secure perimeter fence. Welded wire (2x4 spacing) or even field fence (larger openings than welded wire and what we have around our property) is needed to ward off all predators, not just the neighbors’ dog. You also would benefit greatly from adding a few strands of hot wire. It only takes being shocked once and the dog will not be back. If you need to make the fencing aesthetically pleasing, add some split rail fencing in front of the wire fencing.

Living in the boondocks 😂 with your chickens free ranging, I’m afraid you will begin losing more birds to a myriad of predators. If I were in your shoes (which I am) I feel it would be my responsibility to keep all other predators at bay, including neighborhood dogs. Now if the dog got inside your fence, that would be a problem its owners would have to face/own up to and possibly even lose their dog. But running through the open countryside is something “country dogs” do.

And last, but not least, my speil to all newcomers:

Welcome to the Chicken Club! This is the place to be! You will learn more and laugh more than you ever thought possible! And, unfortunately even shed a tear or two, as you have already experienced. Oh, and just so you know, BYC loves pictures, lots of pictures, but we love stories too.

Best of luck with your situation, and keep us posted on what you decide to do.:hugs

We live in a similar area and the neighbor dogs are one reason our chickens don't free range. Other reasons include coyotes, bobcats, raccoons, possums, foxes etc. not to mention hawks and owls. We've had good luck using chain link fencing on our hilly land. We have some where we cemented in corner posts then used t posts in between with chain link fabric. We have also found used chain link dog run panels and attached them to t posts and that has worked equally well. You should add some wire on the ground outside the fencing to deter predators from digging in. Raccoons also like to reach through chain link to grab chickens if they can. A couple of feet of 1 inch chicken wire or some hardware cloth at the bottom of the fence can prevent that. It also keeps the chickens from sticking their heads out and keeps little chicks in. We put some strong hawk netting over our entire run. We fastened some 2x4's to the t posts to keep it up over our heads. We were so glad we did this - within 60 seconds of letting our youngsters out of the coop the first time, a large red tailed hawk dived down and bounced off the hawk netting.
Letting the dogs run loose is part of rural life in many places and I doubt that's going to change any time soon.

First post here and I wish it was under better circumstances. Just started raising chicks this spring for the first time. Started out with 12 chicks back in the spring and one of them turned out to be a rooster. They just started laying about 2 weeks ago.

I setup up a coop with a very small run (3x7) back when we first got them, which was really way less space than they need. So we started letting them free range which went really well at first, but then the neighbor's dog got one of them about a month ago. We talked to them about it and came up with a plan to coordinate when we let the chicken free range vs. they let their dog out. All was well for the last 3 weeks, but then today we noticed the rooster went missing. Looked all over but couldn't find the poor guy.

On a hunch I checked my security cameras and was very upset with what I found. The neighbors dog was loose today despite our agreement and the chickens were out at the same time. Dog was up on the road and spotted the hens in our driveway and came in after them. But our brave rooster did all he could to keep the dog away, but in the end the dog of course prevailed.

Here's a link to the footage of the brave protector's final few minutes fending off the dog for as long as he could. I'm so proud of him but also very sad at the same time.

Needless to say, I'll be building a larger run for them after this episode as soon as I figure exactly how I'm going to do that given the location of the coop on a somewhat hilly slope.

Again, I really wish it was under better circumstances that I make my first post here, but I felt like I had to share my little guy's valiant effort to scare off the predator in an effort to protect his flock. He gave his life for them and I'm going to do what I can to maintain his legacy and protect the flock.

So sorry for the loss of your rooster.

Next time the dog is loose, call animal control. Ideally, get the dog contained somehow so that he'll be brought to the pound, and the neighbors have to pay to get him back. It is not okay for your neighbor's dog to be on your property. Where I am, it's legal to shoot a dog if they're harassing livestock. I am in a similar situation, and am going to have to put up a fence to protect ourselves from our neighbor's aggressive dogs. Chickens are in a secure run for just this reason.

Welcome to BYC! Sorry you came on bad terms though:( I have also lost birds to a neighbors dog and it is very upsetting...... best you can do is watch your chickens and if it comes back either call animal control or if its really out of hand get a BB gun and shoot to hurt not kill.

Having read the whole thread, I want to say that I agree with you taking your neighbors up on their offer. Build a bigger run, then put electric fence around the run as an extra layer of protection - not just against the dogs, but other predators as well. I am a firm believer in trying to work things out and being on good terms with neighbors as much as possible.

Such a brave young roo. So sorry

Back
Top Bottom