Neighbors dog got my rooster today as he was protecting his hens. Captured on security camera

First post here and I wish it was under better circumstances. Just started raising chicks this spring for the first time. Started out with 12 chicks back in the spring and one of them turned out to be a rooster. They just started laying about 2 weeks ago.

I setup up a coop with a very small run (3x7) back when we first got them, which was really way less space than they need. So we started letting them free range which went really well at first, but then the neighbor's dog got one of them about a month ago. We talked to them about it and came up with a plan to coordinate when we let the chicken free range vs. they let their dog out. All was well for the last 3 weeks, but then today we noticed the rooster went missing. Looked all over but couldn't find the poor guy.

On a hunch I checked my security cameras and was very upset with what I found. The neighbors dog was loose today despite our agreement and the chickens were out at the same time. Dog was up on the road and spotted the hens in our driveway and came in after them. But our brave rooster did all he could to keep the dog away, but in the end the dog of course prevailed.

Here's a link to the footage of the brave protector's final few minutes fending off the dog for as long as he could. I'm so proud of him but also very sad at the same time.

Needless to say, I'll be building a larger run for them after this episode as soon as I figure exactly how I'm going to do that given the location of the coop on a somewhat hilly slope.

Again, I really wish it was under better circumstances that I make my first post here, but I felt like I had to share my little guy's valiant effort to scare off the predator in an effort to protect his flock. He gave his life for them and I'm going to do what I can to maintain his legacy and protect the flock.

So sorry for your loss! Your neighbors didn't keep their part of the bargain! This is not acceptable. :(

I would show this video to your neighbors. They need to see what their neglect has done.
I would present them with a bill for the dead chickens, too.
And I would call animal control.
Donā€™t take this laying down. They will just take advantage of you if you are ā€œniceā€.
I would get a shotgun, too.

I would show this video to your neighbors. They need to see what their neglect has done.
I would present them with a bill for the dead chickens, too.
And I would call animal control.
Donā€™t take this laying down. They will just take advantage of you if you are ā€œniceā€.
I would get a shotgun, too.
Please read the whole thread. OP and neighbors have come to an agreement.

Where my husband comes from (Rural Arkansas) if someone's dog kills a chicken....they almost always do it again. Everyone here seems to understand the and they either keep the pet always under control or they put it down. Out here though, we raise chickens for eggs and meat and can't afford to lose birds to predators, especially domestic ones.

That said, I am really sorry about the rooster. I think it's awesome the he tried so hard to protect his girls. It's so sad. šŸ˜­šŸ˜­šŸ˜­šŸ˜­

Last edited:
My neighbor gave me a check today for $125 towards me building a proper run. I picked up 200' of fencing, a bunch of T-post and a 6' gate.

It was hot as all be today in Virginia, so I got an early start around 7am and dug my holes for the 4" round posts at the corners. The run is 60' x 30'.

chickrun_1.JPG

And by 4pm I had a way bigger run than before! In case I need to go taller than 4', I'll leave the 4" round post at their current height (about 6'):

chickrun_2.JPG

chickrun_3.JPG

chickrun_4.JPG

I do need to add some additional netting in this area as the slope caused there to be like a 4" gap at the bottom in places:

chickrun_5.JPG

So I think my neighbors did the right thing. I paid $6 for the rooster as a small chick, so them writing me a check for $125 towards the run is very fair I think. Yes, "ollie" is gone forever and the the girls miss him (both the hens and my 2 girls), but "things" happen. (don't know if I'm allowed to use the word I wanted to or not here, so I played it save). Still a newbie, lol.

As others have mentioned, dogs run loose here in the rural foothills of the Blue-ridge Mountains, so I don't see how calling the cops was really something I wanted to do.

Heck, my dog is probably over on their property more than their dog is on mine bothering my chicks.

My next project (once I fix the gaps along the ground in certain areas of the fence line), will be to build a feeding station for their water and food dispensers. It will have roof to keep things from getting too messy when it rains and they will be suspended so they won't make a mess of the water/food themselves.

So I think a the end of the day, this has had a positive outcome. I feel really sorry for loosing the rooster, but it got me off my butt to build a proper run for them.

Last edited:
My neighbor gave me a check today for $125 towards me building a proper run. I picked up 200' of fencing, a bunch of T-post and a 6' gate.

It was hot as all be today in Virginia, so I got an early start around 7am and dug my holes for the 4" round posts at the corners. The run is 60' x 30'.

View attachment 2284385

And by 4pm I had a way bigger run than before! In case I need to go taller than 4', I'll leave the 4" round post at their current height (about 6'):

View attachment 2284388

View attachment 2284389

View attachment 2284390

I do need to add some additional netting in this area as the slope caused there to be like a 4" gap at the bottom in places:

View attachment 2284392

So I think my neighbors did the right thing. I paid $6 for the rooster as a small chick, so them writing me a check for $125 towards the run is very fair I think.

As others have mentioned, dogs run loose here in the rural foothills of the Blue-ridge Mountains, so I don't see how calling the cops was really something I wanted to do.

Heck, my dog is probably over on their property more than their dog is on mine bothering my chicks.

My next project (once I fix the gaps along the ground in certain areas of the fence line, will be to build a feeding station for me to hand their water and food dispensers. It will have roof to keep things from getting too messy when it rains and they will be suspended so they won't make a mess of the water/food themselves.

So I think a the end of the day, this has had a positive outcome. I feel really sorry for loosing the rooster, but I got me off my butt to build a proper run for them.
I love it. And Iā€™m glad good things happened in the end. I would still go ahead and put a hot wire around the run.

So on the hot wire, what do I need exactly? Assuming I need a 120V source, I'd need to figure out someway to get a feed run under my paved driveway. Ugh...

Would a hot wire keep this fellow away?

bear_01.PNG

bear_02.PNG

bear_03.PNG

Per the timestamps this is from early May when I first put the chick out on their coop with a heat lamp (power cord running across the driveway).

Fortunately he was pretty full after eating what was in my trashcans (he made a real mess) and I have had that happening for years.

So on the hot wire, what do I need exactly? Assuming I need a 120V source, I'd need to figure out someway to get a feed run under my paved driveway. Ugh...

Would a hot wire keep this fellow away?

View attachment 2284420

View attachment 2284421

View attachment 2284422

Per the timestamps this is from early May when I first put the chick out on their coop with a heat lamp (power cord running across the driveway).
A hot wire is about the ONLY thing that will keep a bear out of something. And a hot wire is a MUST since youā€™ve got those big fellas around. Luckily I donā€™t have to worry about those. :bow

I forgot to respond to your question about what you need. Unfortunately, I do not know the specifics of what is needed to be able to tell you for sure, but I am certain if you went to any farm supply store and gave them your run dimensions, they would be able to tell you exactly what was needed.

Back
Top Bottom