Neighbors dog got my rooster today as he was protecting his hens. Captured on security camera

First post here and I wish it was under better circumstances. Just started raising chicks this spring for the first time. Started out with 12 chicks back in the spring and one of them turned out to be a rooster. They just started laying about 2 weeks ago.

I setup up a coop with a very small run (3x7) back when we first got them, which was really way less space than they need. So we started letting them free range which went really well at first, but then the neighbor's dog got one of them about a month ago. We talked to them about it and came up with a plan to coordinate when we let the chicken free range vs. they let their dog out. All was well for the last 3 weeks, but then today we noticed the rooster went missing. Looked all over but couldn't find the poor guy.

On a hunch I checked my security cameras and was very upset with what I found. The neighbors dog was loose today despite our agreement and the chickens were out at the same time. Dog was up on the road and spotted the hens in our driveway and came in after them. But our brave rooster did all he could to keep the dog away, but in the end the dog of course prevailed.

Here's a link to the footage of the brave protector's final few minutes fending off the dog for as long as he could. I'm so proud of him but also very sad at the same time.

Needless to say, I'll be building a larger run for them after this episode as soon as I figure exactly how I'm going to do that given the location of the coop on a somewhat hilly slope.

Again, I really wish it was under better circumstances that I make my first post here, but I felt like I had to share my little guy's valiant effort to scare off the predator in an effort to protect his flock. He gave his life for them and I'm going to do what I can to maintain his legacy and protect the flock.
Omg, I'm so sorry. This was hard to watch. What a brave little guy. (Also, I'd be REALLY mad at those neighbors.)

I'm sorry you lost your rooster. He was a very brave fellow! Looked like the dog came on to your property and the rooster was trying to protect his flock.

I'm in an even more rural location and deal with predators of all sorts constantly. My closest neighbor is over 1/4 mile away but his dogs still come and fool with my chickens and ducks. Naturally, being "dog people" they blow off the death of my chickens as dogs just doing what comes natural to them. I keep a shotgun and rifle at my back door and reply with "I'm just doing what comes natural". Around here it's perfectly legal and expected to protect your livestock.

I understand the coons, skunks, coyotes and foxes as they are just dinner but the dogs are using them for sport and just play with them. Mr Henry and Mr Remington stop the playing.

Seems the neighbors were decent about the situation and made a generous offer. Glad you didn't file charges and fill out any reports.

First post here and I wish it was under better circumstances. Just started raising chicks this spring for the first time. Started out with 12 chicks back in the spring and one of them turned out to be a rooster. They just started laying about 2 weeks ago.

I setup up a coop with a very small run (3x7) back when we first got them, which was really way less space than they need. So we started letting them free range which went really well at first, but then the neighbor's dog got one of them about a month ago. We talked to them about it and came up with a plan to coordinate when we let the chicken free range vs. they let their dog out. All was well for the last 3 weeks, but then today we noticed the rooster went missing. Looked all over but couldn't find the poor guy.

On a hunch I checked my security cameras and was very upset with what I found. The neighbors dog was loose today despite our agreement and the chickens were out at the same time. Dog was up on the road and spotted the hens in our driveway and came in after them. But our brave rooster did all he could to keep the dog away, but in the end the dog of course prevailed.

Here's a link to the footage of the brave protector's final few minutes fending off the dog for as long as he could. I'm so proud of him but also very sad at the same time.

Needless to say, I'll be building a larger run for them after this episode as soon as I figure exactly how I'm going to do that given the location of the coop on a somewhat hilly slope.

Again, I really wish it was under better circumstances that I make my first post here, but I felt like I had to share my little guy's valiant effort to scare off the predator in an effort to protect his flock. He gave his life for them and I'm going to do what I can to maintain his legacy and protect the flock.
My Stars!! I'd show this to Animal Control! This Dog will Kill again...your Flock is Not Safe! We have same Predator Issue, but my Flock does not Free Range unless I'm sitting with them. Our House & Run are completely secure. I'm so sorry for your Brave Lil Fella! He was just Amazing!!

Awwww, I so sorry this happened!! Please what ever you do post this to your local animal control and police department!! You just may have saved my roosters as I was getting careless leaving them outside while I went into town on errands! Thank you for sharing your grief and as painful as that was I hope the video saves more birds! I have 4 extra Americauna Cockerells if you would like one!!

Appreciate all the feedback guys! Let me provide some additional background information. I have lived in the same house for 20 years. When I moved in back then, there was no house across the street from me as I live in a pretty rural area. My neighbors build their house about 18 years ago, so I have known them for that long.

I got a German Sheppard when I first moved in, and he of course "owned" the land across the street since it was just open and nobody lived there. He gave the builders a hard time while the house was being build, and once the neighbors moved in (a female couple), we had an episode where my dog bit one of them in the leg while she was taking out the trash. They called animal control and they came and spoke to them and then came spoke to me. I showed them the vaccination papers for my Shepard and they were in order. They still took me to court, but between the charge and the court date, I build a 700 ft long wooden privacy fence along my road frontage with them. Showed it to the judge and he dropped the case. My Sheppard passed away about 7 years ago.

Had a rocky relationship with them for the next several years, but about 10 year years ago I got married and now have 2 girls aged 8 and 9. We have for the most part mended the relationship with the neighbors at this point, although these 2 chicken episodes was a bit of a setback. We also have a black lap and he also runs around on his own, including over in the neighbors yard. Again this is a very rural area.

It is a private road with a 6 properties on it. Each lot is between 10 and 100 acres. Mine is about 20 acres. I maintain the road as I have the equipment to do so and I also plow it in the winter when we have snow. All my neighbors are very appreciative of what I do to maintain the road and I have an excellent relationship with all of them. Some of them have lived here even longer than me.

My lap is actually protective of the chicks and if they stray too far from the house into the woods on the backside of the house, away from the road. He'll actually go round them up. We also have 3 cats and they couldn't care less about the chickens, even when they were little.

Anyway, I sent a link to the video to my neighbors and they sent me the following response back:

--- cut ---
We feel so bad on so many levels. I didn’t know she would do this. I was at home sick that day and couldn’t do much. I guess there’s some dog instincts. I thought they’d be safe from our dogs with the schedule for Wren. Can’t believe our dogs are responsible for two chickens dying.

I’m sure your girls and you all are sad. Please let us know if we can pay for the chickens and/or help contribute to building materials for the run.

I know there are no guarantees with chickens since they have so many predators, but I don’t want our dogs to be the cause of any more death. The run will give them some outside time free from our dogs and we won’t have to bug you all to coordinate time out.

Take care.

Sent from my iPad
--- cut ---

So I think I'll take them up on their offer to contribute the building the run. I got a lot of questions about how to best approach that and will start a separate thread about that.

Again, really appreciate the feedback everyone but I'd like to resolve this peacefully with the neighbors without getting the authorities involved even though they did take me to court 15 years ago about my dog. Funny how the tables have turned.
Wow! I just read this and your patience is amazing. However once a dog does this it’s pretty much open season on everything else including you girls so be very careful with them. Maybe have a can of wasp spray handy if the girls are playing outside in case the dog or other predators attack.
I’m so glad to read your neighbours’ response and hope you build a huge chicken run for them and again, I’d love for you to take one of my roosters 🥰 However I do hope you replace your sweet roo and keep using that surveillance camera!!

So sorry for your poor boy...but man, what a brave one! So proud of what he did for his flock. I actually cant imagine how upsetting that would have been to find in your footage. Valiant effort is right! So sorry for your brave Roo. ❤🐓

You could get a dog that protects your property and critters. Anatolian shepherds, Great Pyrenees, Australian shepherds (Aussies), most dogs whose family has critters will protect those critters. Especially if your puppy is raised around chickens. We have five dogs two Mini Aussies, one German Shepherd/Bull Mastiff mix, Border Collie and a Rotty/mix/ Dingo. they are with the chickens in our back yard nearly everyday. When we bring chicks home, we keep them in a covered playpen in our living area. The Border Collie tries to herd them in the playpen. When they are old enough we put them in our chicken house in a protected area and then finally let them roost when they are big enough. We have nine Bantams and 12 large chickens that are all hens. The two roosters are Bantams. We used to let them all free range all over the farm but the hawks got three of our Bantam hens. We also have owls and eagles, coyotes, cougars, wolves, and other predators. Our backyard and pastures all are fenced in by six foot chain link fences. There are many types of animals that protect there family critters. So sorry you lost your Rooster, he was a brave boy. It's very hard to lose any critter.

m

Back
Top Bottom