Neighbors Dog is Back Again

zapperbunny

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 21, 2016
Gustine, California
ive been with BYC for a few years now, awesome advice for new backyarders and this if us who started again after DECADES! I’d like to respond to a post a woman is having with the lab/pit chicken murderer. I live in what’s called the city, lol, but there’s an alfalfa field 4 houses down, and another one street over. I’ve been around farm animals all my life and have had my share of smaller animals. My uncle once needed to teach a dog a lesson so he used a shotgun with rock salt...it doesn’t kill the dog, it hurts like holy HELL!, and it does not infect, but the dog learns that lesson after just one episode.

I would have to do some research to find the posts but a BYC member a few years ago had an issue with a neighbors dog coming into her yard and going after her birds. She told the owner of the dog and he kept saying it wasn't his dog in her yard. The next time she saw it in her yard, she shot it with a paintball gun. I'm sure it stung the dog but she didn't kill the dog. I think the owner of the dog must have got a message.

I protect my birds but if someone else's dog comes on my property and goes after my birds, I'm going to protect the birds on my property. I have seen some dogs on my property but only once did they go after my birds. I told the dogs owner and it never happened again.

At least here in Michigan, it's legal to kill a dog who's after your animals, but not to deliberately wound one. Any such sub-lethal shooting is animal cruelty and would be prosecuted.
Electric fencing!!!
Either shoot to kill, trap and send to Animal Control, complain to AC, and take photos of everything if possible.
Talking to the owner may work if it's all polite, or let AC handle it.
Mary

You can always do like I do and when the dog comes in my yard I fire my pistol into the ground between me and the dog. Do it enough times and when I am home that dog runs away instantly also I have used a 4/10 shotgun to fire into the ground but that dog depending on the breed may attack. Also paint ball gun shot to his butt would deter him a bit or they make shotguns designed for airport use to keep birds away from planes . They don’t fire harmful projectiles just gun powder blast which can also be accomplished but other types of ammunition .

That is so not right, if your going to shoot at something you shoot to kill it period. most can expect their dog is loose and after someones livestock it is going to get shot, one family's kids were traumatized they knew if dog got out and was bothering cows or chickens of the neighbors dog would be shot, well said neighbor wasn't a very good shot and blew the dogs leg off and partially paralyzed it and yeah it went home just to have have the family have to put the dog down.

Hence the "shut up" part in the 3S's. I am a believer in building a strong, as predator-proof as possible coop and run at the outset and in keeping/raising no more birds that can comfortably and humanely be housed in it 24/7, but if all of that fails and your birds still get attacked on your property by a predator (and a strong, determined, aggressive dog can overcome just about any pen), then I have no problem, as a last resort, in disposing of that predator.

Back
Top Bottom