Neighbors dog is back and will die......

I had a neighbors dog kill one of my ducks. I spoke with the neighbor and they got rid of the dog. I didn't mention this to them but I planned on shooting it the next time it came around. It's worth a try to talk to them.

Quote:
Ummm, I think you need to reword that. Hopefully your husband does not "shooot not knowing what the heck ...[he's] doing."
wink.png

Oops! I should re-word that....my husband is the hunter/shooter in the home...he would be doing the shooting!
lol.png

Quote:

We have spoke to them over and over anc over, AC has been called by me and my neighbors over and over and over. They take care of the dogs for maybe a week then after that who cares. AC wants us to bring the dog/s in but you will never catch them. They seem to be friendly but still wont let you get near them....I say them because there are 2 but one is the biggest problem. I have other neighbors with chickens, ducks, sheep and they wont stand for it anymore either. If it's not my husband shooting them it will be someone else. We're done.

At this point, it doesn't matter that it isn't the dog's fault. Dogs always have to pay for the owner's neglect since you can't take a dog to court. Many neighbors are just not reasonable and feel their dog gets a free pass, that your birds are meaningless. In many locations, especially rural ones, AC is non-existent, or in name only. Ours has one officer for the whole mountain county and many, many dumped animals.

I also hate hearing people suggest catching a dog. I will NOT risk being bitten by a dog. Even body language can be misleading with a dog and if you reach to grab, they can bite in a heartbeat. That is not my responsibility. My responsibility is to protect my flock, my family and my property. It's too bad, but dogs get caught in the middle of that all the time.

My understanding is, you can shoot the dog if it gets in your yard after your birds. Leave the dog where you shot it, call AC so they can come and verify it. Then just to get the point across to the neighbor, get a big plastic tub put the dog in it and leave it for them to bury. I know, sounds mean, but hey, its mean of them jerks to do that to the dog to begin with. If youre gonna be gone all day, leave your dogs free to run, then you should be accepting that sooner or later something bad is going to happen. I have dogs, and I had to chicken wire the bottom of their fence to stop my puggle from getting out. Lucky for me she can not jump over.

I would really hope that AC steps in, as a dog and chicken lover I understand the issue but it breaks my heart to think a dog would be killed doing what a dog does because of owners stupidity and neglect. I know the real world doesn't work the way we want it but...

If you call them here they ask you to deal with it yourself if possible unless an endangered or protected species of animal, but they do keep records of your reports.

I'm sorry also. I am an animal lover and go to great lengths to protect them (just last week I heared someone's alpacas back to their farm. They were nearly a mile away. I recognized them and knew where they belonged. The lady had no idea how the escaped the pocked pen). I have no heartburn though protecting my girls from any predator, just as I'd protect my family. Obviosly shooting would be a last resort, but non the less, the SSS method would be employed.

Back
Top Bottom