Neighbors Dog is Digging Into My Yard!

I prefer to only get the government involved when I'm unable to resolve the issue with the owners. If they're unwilling to work something out that's what the government is for. Protecting your coop is your responsibility, but an encroaching dog from neighbors shouldn't require you to fork out extra money when it's their responsibility. I've dealt with an aggressive neighbor dog and I told them twice, the second time I had my phone out with the number ready to go. They fixed the issue after I left their porch. Later that year the city forced them to give up the dog because of mistreatment. Luckily I moved away from that crap.

Probably. I think this happens with guarding breeds. People want tough, beautiful dogs and don’t want to put the work into giving them what they need to thrive.
Exactly. They are very beautiful though, it's a shame they're aggressive. I have a picture of them somewhere... found them both sitting in my front yard facing the street and i couldn't help it, they're beautiful ughhh.

Exactly. They are very beautiful though, it's a shame they're aggressive. I have a picture of them somewhere... found them both sitting in my front yard facing the street and i couldn't help it, they're beautiful ughhh.
I feel so sad for these dogs. Do you think your neighbor's would react badly if you did as @Nheiles suggested?

I feel so sad for these dogs. Do you think your neighbor's would react badly if you did as @Nheiles suggested?
I have called animal control so many times. Once, the white one followed me but only when my back was turned, but by the time someone came out, the dog went back under the fence.
Basically, the dogs have to be in my yard in order for them to remove the animal from the owner. It's ridiculous. The ONLY good thing about calling is the fence gets fixed until the dogs break loose again.
I would not know how to get government involved, really. I just try to avoid that area all together.

I have called animal control so many times. Once, the white one followed me but only when my back was turned, but by the time someone came out, the dog went back under the fence.
Basically, the dogs have to be in my yard in order for them to remove the animal from the owner. It's ridiculous. The ONLY good thing about calling is the fence gets fixed until the dogs break loose again.

Do you have a live trap, or maybe a dog run or a chicken coop that could temporarily be used to contain the dogs? If they come over and get themselves into it, then animal control could come collect them. Obviously, if using a chicken coop, be sure the chickens are safely in a different coop at the time!

I know it's possible for a dog to push under a welded-wire fence, then have the fence spring back into place and trap the dog, because it happened once when I was growing up. (The fence in this case was supposed to be secured at the bottom, but over time had become loose, and it wasn't noticed until the dogs got trapped inside.)

Imo, and I will be blunt, people dont know the value of training nor do they want the bother.

Takes about 6 monthes of twice daily ten minute sessions.

I had three trained rotties that sat on command and not budge until released. Told to "wait" as in wait your turn and not push pass to get thru door. Having well trained dogs was a God -send when dealing with young children . I could count on my dogs to follow command immediately whereas never quite sure with a child.

I often wonder about people as parents when they cannot manage a dog. Honestly, training my dogs was a great primer for training children.

(note: dogs had their own room, safely away from annoying small children.)

I do know what you mean. I have more patience for my dogs than I do for my kids.

My kids: mom
Me: what?
Kids: mom mom mom mom mom mom mom mom
Me: whaaaaaaaaat?!
Kids: :D

And the dogs listen better, Haha! For some reason my kids won't hear me calling them a zillion times but they can hear "no video games" just fine.

Do you have a live trap, or maybe a dog run or a chicken coop that could temporarily be used to contain the dogs? If they come over and get themselves into it, then animal control could come collect them. Obviously, if using a chicken coop, be sure the chickens are safely in a different coop at the time!

I know it's possible for a dog to push under a welded-wire fence, then have the fence spring back into place and trap the dog, because it happened once when I was growing up. (The fence in this case was supposed to be secured at the bottom, but over time had become loose, and it wasn't noticed until the dogs got trapped inside.)
I hadn't thought about it. I figure if they're not harassing me or trying to get into my yard, it's better to just keep to myself. I only worry about walks with my dogs.

I was trying to think of how to use the dogs' own behavior, plus the known behavior of your animal control officers, to maybe improve the situation :)
I wonder that too! But theres so many little dogs in the area. The shelter would probably run out of space on my neighborhood alone.
There was this other dog that lives on another block that would only charge at is if I was walking Stella. A bunch of neighbors got involved because these people would sit in the garage with the door open, while their dog roamed free, and if anyone said anything they would flip out. I heard animal control had to call police because she was being outrageous and yet she still has her dog. The landlord was finally evicting them until COVID-19 and no one can be evicted even if violating a lease agreement.

Back
Top Bottom