Neighbors dog killed chicken

In SC it is considered animal cruelty to shoot an animal with a paint ball gun, a BB gun or an air rifle.
Not if its killing harassing the animals. If a dog is doing that the animal owner can drop the dog in its tracks. If the animal Owner chooses to use less force to chase/scare the dog away---I guess he is doing the Dog Owner a favor. I would Much prefer my dog to come home shot than to not come home. I would sure be more careful to not allow my alive dog to ramble anymore and he might not come home the next time.

I am speaking from experience---my dog came home splattered with bird shot---I was angry that this happen, then I found out he tore up a mans chicken pen and killed alot of the mans chickens----Then My Anger changed to being Thankful that the chicken owner did not kill him----he had the right to. I kept my dog home and got to enjoy his company for several more years.

You really don't need to be rude.
I really wasn't trying to be rude. I thought it was a good thing that you and your neighbor have a good relationship that you would like to maintain. Which part was rude? Pointing out that free ranging has risks and if the friendly neighbor dog could get a chicken, so could a fox or coyote? Some people are honestly surprised when something nabs one of their free-range chickens. It happens. The only way to protect them from that is keep them penned. At the risk of being rude again, I'll stop here.

At the risk of sounding like I'm back to my former moderator days, bobbi-j was not in the least rude in her reply so let's just simmer down a bit here.

I think the original question was how much does the neighbor owe the original poster? Maybe if we just get back to that, things will chill.
wink.png

Sorry, when I posted that it was meant for elsewhere. I didn't know where it went. It was weird. You weren't rude. I get the free range-predator thing. That neighbor told me I need to pen my chickens. I told him I understand about wildlife predation being a risk, but I should not have to worry about neighbors dogs coming onto MY property and killing any of my animals. He told me his dog disappeared. I hope he doesn't think I did it, cause I didn't. I got the chicks to clear bugs off the property. Now, when I pen them, they pace. I feel bad. Other dogs have been showing up, so it's increasingly worse. Wish I could afford to fence large portion of the property. Anyway, sorry about the mixup. I don't let my animals affect other people, I expect the same in return.

At the risk of sounding like I'm back to my former moderator days, bobbi-j was not in the least rude in her reply so let's just simmer down a bit here.

I think the original question was how much does the neighbor owe the original poster? Maybe if we just get back to that, things will chill. ;)
Exactly! My rude response was a mistake. I didn't know it 2as there. I multitasking and somehow wires got crossed. As I said, I can't see myself kill any dog, even with the owners permission. The dog owner has never offered to replace my chicken and he no longer speaks to me. He told me his dog disappeared, so someone probably shot her, but it wasnt me. It's sad he thinks his dog has a right to attack my animals on my property. He never even apologized.

I'm disabled, so building a pen is difficult and I have no help. I rigged a dog pen, but they got out of that today and one got hit b6 a car. So far people are my problem, not true predators.

I added up the loss of possible income for the life of this one chicken and it was over $8,000. That's a lot of m9ney for me to l9se, not counting the emotional loss. All my animals are my babies and one is just as important as the next. In order to add another ch8cken, I'd need to spend a lot m9re money to get the same age.

You are not entitled to the money you might have been able to make from the bird but you are entitled to the cost of replacing the bird with a bird of the same quality. That includes the cost of feed and time it takes to raise a bird to that age. There are accepted methods for calculating replacement costs for poultry available online. Figure out what your cost will be, provide some documentation that substantiates your calculation and bill your neighbor.

You are not entitled to the money you might have been able to make from the bird but you are entitled to the cost of replacing the bird with a bird of the same quality. That includes the cost of feed and time it takes to raise a bird to that age. There are accepted methods for calculating replacement costs for poultry available online. Figure out what your cost will be, provide some documentation that substantiates your calculation and bill your neighbor.

I realize that.

I have had to shoot 3 pits that killed my flock off twice. They destroyed the chicken wire both times to get into a covered run the owner refused to buy me new birds or pay for repairs to the run. The last time they tried to trample the wire to get in. This is when I decided I needed to act to protect my flock as well as my small dogs that I keep leashed. I tell all of my neighbors about my birds and offer to take them and the dog to my house to show them that they can't attack birds. The only neighbor who refused this was the one who's pits attacked my birds. 5he dnr in the area told me to use deadly force to protect my birds. The owner of the dogs was charged with a dog at large. Of course we now have hostility. I would not recommend using deadly force if avoidable but it sometimes is the only choice. Thankfully he has no kids that were heart broken. But try to avoid killing them if possible. Being that I can't get a electric fence I try to talk to all new neighbors first or if I see they get a puppy.

Not if its killing harassing the animals. If a dog is doing that the animal owner can drop the dog in its tracks. If the animal Owner chooses to use less force to chase/scare the dog away---I guess he is doing the Dog Owner a favor. I would Much prefer my dog to come home shot than to not come home. I would sure be more careful to not allow my alive dog to ramble anymore and he might not come home the next time.

I am speaking from experience---my dog came home splattered with bird shot---I was angry that this happen, then I found out he tore up a mans chicken pen and killed alot of the mans chickens----Then My Anger changed to being Thankful that the chicken owner did not kill him----he had the right to. I kept my dog home and got to enjoy his company for several more years.
In most states where you're allowed to use deadly force on a dog bothering livestock, it is animal cruelty to use a bb-gun, or even some small caliber weapons. You can kill the animal, but you can't maim it. This isn't any difference than states having laws about what calibers you can use to hunt specific animals.

Indian Kool Aid - why can't you put up fences (or electric)? Seems like an easy solution that would keep neighbor problems to a minimum.

Back
Top Bottom