Neighbors dog killed chicken

I feel like it is my responsibility to protect my chickens from Mother Nature's critters. In 50 years of chicken keeping I have lost chickens to hawks and foxes. These chickens were free ranging, so the odds were to the predator's advantage.

Since I have lived on this property, I do not dare free range my chickens. I have lost way too many birds in the last 2 years to dogs that one particular neighbor refuses to keep home. When animal control informed them of the laws concerning dogs roaming at large the response? I live in the country, I will not chain my dogs up!

His dogs have torn up cages, dug under wall and gates, climbed up dog kennel walls and jumped down into pens, and chewed through another wall.

My opinion on neighbor "pets" is the neighbor's responsibility to keep his dogs on his property. If he does not, it is my responsibility to make sure the dog does not get the chance to come back to wreak havoc again. My rifle is my chicken's best friend.......

I forgot to mention that after the AC officer's second visit, my tires were slashed.

Kind of gives you an idea of what I am dealing with.......

Yep...an excellent example of why S-S-S is a good policy. Sorry you have neighbors like that (they sound similar to one of mine).

In some states, in agricultural zoning, it's not. In some states, unless the dog destroys fencing, it's completely your problem. The point is - know your local laws. You don't want to end up in jail over the cost of a roll of fence.

Animal Control brought me a coyote trap. I baited the trap and caught the dog. The AC officer loaded the cage and delivered the dog to the owners as their first warning. The next morning my tires were slashed. A police report was made. There have been no arrests from the tire slashing since there was insufficient evidence. Of course we know who did it but you cannot arrest some one just because you KNOW they commited the crime. There MUST be proof.

AC told me the neighbors have been warned. So, I am completely within the law to shoot the dogs.

The dogs have torn up metal cages that were made out of 1X 1 welded wire to get at the chickens inside the cages.

Animal Control brought me a coyote trap. I baited the trap and caught the dog. The AC officer loaded the cage and delivered the dog to the owners as their first warning. The next morning my tires were slashed. A police report was made. There have been no arrests from the tire slashing since there was insufficient evidence. Of course we know who did it but you cannot arrest some one just because you KNOW they commited the crime. There MUST be proof.

AC told me the neighbors have been warned. So, I am completely within the law to shoot the dogs.

The dogs have torn up metal cages that were made out of 1X 1 welded wire to get at the chickens inside the cages.
I've said it before and I'll say it again

S - S - S

Shoot - Shovel - Shut Up

Last edited:
I forgot to mention that after the AC officer's second visit, my tires were slashed.

Kind of gives you an idea of what I am dealing with.......

This may indicate you are perceived as abrasive in your approach promoting a confrontational counter attack or you are easy to intimidate. Latter not likely I suspect but you are clearly not try to build up a fan club.

Personally I don't feel your neighbor owes you anything - this time. From what I can tell you live in an area where it's considered acceptable to allow animals to run free. Your neighbor had his/her dog running loose and by all accounts it's a friendly animal that wants belly scratches. It's not the dog's fault that it's prey drive kicks in when it sees a bunch of free running birds, and if it has been socially acceptable to allow dogs to run in the past, it's not really the neighbors fault either (of course, I could be mistaken in any of these assumptions. Where I was raised you allowed your dog to run free because it was believed pinning them inside a fence made them more aggressive to people).

Like others have said, if it's possible put up some fencing. This'll have the added advantage of protecting your flock from everything else (I realize I'm stating the obvious here). Other peoples advice of calling animal control, or S-S-S is a nice way to make things get out of hand quickly. I'm not saying that there isn't a place for them in this (in the case of Enola for example), but maybe just take a 10 count or something.

I hope this helps. Sorry you lost a bird

Y'all are horrible! I would NEVER shoot a dog because of it getting my chickens! That dog is a animal with predator instincts it is not the dogs fault for that. It's the owner! I don't see how you could sleep at night KILLING a dog! I LOVE my chickens but I would never KILL a dog for killing my chickens. I would be very sad and angry but I would never kill the dog!!!

Y'all are horrible! I would NEVER shoot a dog because of it getting my chickens! That dog is a animal with predator instincts it is not the dogs fault for that. It's the owner! I don't see how you could sleep at night KILLING a dog! I LOVE my chickens but I would never KILL a dog for killing my chickens. I would be very sad and angry but I would never kill the dog!!!
No one here is "horrible". Some of us just have a different method for dealing with chickens being killed. You're certainly entitled to "be very sad and angry" but we are entitled to protect our chickens if we choose to do so. Please don't call names, it isn't nice.

Back
Top Bottom