Neighbors Dog Massacred My flock

Pics
Some of them were our first hens and very friendly and I truly loved my girls. The others were ones we hatched and raised ourselves.
I agree I can't put emotions into it otherwise I would request thousands of dollars.
But I've been searching for my breed replacements and there are not even chicks available right now.
I also had Marans too.
This is going to be had are frustrating to replace.
You can find chicks, juveniles and adult birds at this farm (Black Copper Marans) plus other rare breeds https://www.bressefarms.com/store/p...om/chicks--juveniles--starter-birds.html.html

I wish. I wish I could make them repair everything. Maybe then they would get the labor and hardwork that goes into it.
Every county has one. HERE is yours.

It will also help if you have to pursue this in Small Claims court later if he gets a citation for it. So be reasonable with your estimates, don't charge your labor or feed to grow birds back to their current age, but maybe do choose to pusrue the citation, since its a second offense.

Your neighbor should keep their dog on their property. Its the neighborly thing to do.

Let's say it took me a moment to figure out why I was standing there, and what the moment of blackness was as my neck stopped tingling. 0/10, would NOT repeat.
Here I am with my little contests to see who could hold onto the electric fence the longest with my cousins when we were kids. Actually, I don’t remember who came up with it but we all participated like a bunch of idiots. Sometimes you ended up on the ground lol

Last edited:
Here I am with my little contests to see who could hold onto the electric fence the longest with my cousins when we were kids. Actually, I don’t remember who came up with it but we all participated like a bunch of idiots. Sometimes you ended up on the ground lol
I normally test the fence by touching it with a thumbnail. Its annoying. But its a handy test.

This is the first time I've ever recieved the full potential charge - first time the ground did as it was supposed to. It was "surprising".

I normally test the fence by touching it with a thumbnail. Its annoying. But its a handy test.

This is the first time I've ever recieved the full potential charge - first time the ground did as it was supposed to. It was "surprising".
done that before....stepped backward into my wire.....not fun, but gosh, effective.
I think my uncle used a long blade of grass to test the wire, half a century ago.

My dad had a lightbulb with two wires. One on the ground, one on the hot wire. If I attached it, turned it on, and it lit up, then the fence was working. If it didn't light up, I had to go figure out where it was grounded out.

I bought a new "old stock" solid state fence charger for horses that puts out 9000 volts and would like to know if its safe to use around cats and dogs.Because they don't make this type of charger anymore its difficult to find any information. I know our cats will wind up getting shocked if I hook this up .They love to sleep on top of the run.

I bought a new "old stock" solid state fence charger for horses that puts out 9000 volts and would like to know if its safe to use around cats and dogs.Because they don't make this type of charger anymore its difficult to find any information. I know our cats will wind up getting shocked if I hook is up .They love to sleep on top of the run.

This sounds like what my dad bought back in the day for our dogs. It killed a full grown rabbit once, and my dad somehow toned it down but I don't know how he did it. I wouldn't use it around cats...

Look on CL for what breeds and ages yours were or comparable birds. Charge that plus price of materials to repair. And if you want (I would) tack on a couple hours labor cost. $10 or $15 a hour.
IMO that's fair and its what courts would decide if they were involved.
It might also be helpful to run up an itemized list of how much you paid per bird, how much you spent on supplies and feed, how much time you invested in their care each day, etc. If you sell your eggs, you should also do a projection of income lost during the time it will take you to raise up a new flock. The idea is that this might have more of an impact on your careless neighbor than simply asking for $10 a bird, or whatever. It would also give you a real appreciation of the true costs involved in raising chickens!

BTW, we have a rat terrier who'd love nothing better than to get at our birds. But we made a large paddock for them (we have around 40) surrounded by 6' high dog kenneling. Kenneling comes in panels of 4 (I think each is 8' long), and those panels are easily ganged together to make secure perimeter fencing. A set of 4 retails for about $200 here.

Only a few of our chickens have managed to fly out -- and we've clipped their wings to prevent future escapes.

Back
Top Bottom