Neighbors Dog Massacred My flock

Pics
I don't know if they were black copper marans but here's a link to 6 week old pullets:

https://www.mypetchicken.com/catalo...eek-Old-Pullet-Black-Copper-Marans-p1908.aspx

Day old pullets: $9.50 unless they're the Blue Copper Marans in which case they're $21.75.

And the other thing to take into consideration is buying someone else's adult chickens could bring disease to the remaining birds- even if they show no symptoms.
1 Blue Copper Maran
1 Cuckoo Maran Roo show worthy
1 Black/Splash Maran

Get some breeds you've never had! New beginnings can heal old wounds!
True!

But in the mean time have an objective basis for the declared value of the purebred chickens that were lost to the neighbor's dog - - it matters what it costs NOW to rebuild. Nothing saying you have to go with the same breeds, just make sure you are compensated for what you lost. i.e. you wouldn't take a Kia from your ins. company if your Mercedes was totaled ...

If the destroyed chickens were adults, their _adult_ value is applicable, not what their value was as baby chicks. Baby chicks are worth less because they haven't been fed or raised.

Common breed laying hens cost at least $25 to $30 each at flea markets or on Craigslist. Since these were rare breed chickens, my guess is that the value is at least $50 each. It could be $75 or $100 each ..I don't know. I'll estimate for $50 each.

For the 13 hens, you need to demand at least $650 plus repair costs. I can't really estimate what the rooster is worth because that depends on conformation, breeding quality, and other factors.

Once you factor in the repair costs, you're probably upwards of $1000.

Whoever above suggested a mere $100 values neither time nor money spent on feed costs to raise chickens.

The amount involved in this dog attack is large enough for small claims court. The neighbor will need to kennel his dog and not let it roam.

Once you factor in the repair costs, you're probably upwards of $1000.

If you're figuring $650 on chickens, then $350 on repair costs seems a bit excessive. Looking back on the thread it's never actually mentioned what kind of fencing was used, or how much of it was destroyed, just that the dog rammed it until it got in. If we're just talking chicken wire, or the dog just popped a couple staples off a post and squeezed through, then that would be significantly less.

Even if we're talking high quality fencing you can buy a decent 100 ft roll for $300 or less. I have a hard time imagining the dog destroyed that much of it. The neighbor should absolutely be on the fence for the costs of repair, but a lot of people in this thread are citing the cost of replacing. There is a fairly considerable difference I'd say.

If you're figuring $650 on chickens, then $350 on repair costs seems a bit excessive. Looking back on the thread it's never actually mentioned what kind of fencing was used, or how much of it was destroyed, just that the dog rammed it until it got in. If we're just talking chicken wire, or the dog just popped a couple staples off a post and squeezed through, then that would be significantly less.

Even if we're talking high quality fencing you can buy a decent 100 ft roll for $300 or less. I have a hard time imagining the dog destroyed that much of it. The neighbor should absolutely be on the fence for the costs of repair, but a lot of people in this thread are citing the cost of replacing. There is a fairly considerable difference I'd say.
You also need to realize you can't buy fencing in pieces, a roll of hardware cloth is between $100-250 depending. Also the dog broke the frame on the once side and we all know how expensive woodnis right now. The labor to fix it should also be included.

You also need to realize you can't buy fencing in pieces, a roll of hardware cloth is between $100-250 depending. Also the dog broke the frame on the once side and we all know how expensive woodnis right now. The labor to fix it should also be included.
I'm not trying to downplay the costs. If you're going to pursue legal action, then you need to have an accurate assessment though. Since you hadn't mentioned anything in detail I was merely saying $300+ is too high, and still is from your description. The fact you threw out a number from anywhere between $100-$250 speaks to a level of unpreparedness in your assessment, which would absolutely go against you in an official ruling if you went in demanding $1000. You can buy 15 ft rolls of hardware cloth for far less than $100, let alone $250.

The fact you threw out a number from anywhere between $100-$250 speaks to a level of unpreparedness in your assessment
Or it is because prices are wildly different at some places than others, and sometimes from one month to the next. Sometimes the cheaper ones are out of stock, too.

You can buy 15 ft rolls of hardware cloth for far less than $100, let alone $250.
That depends on how long the roll is, and how wide it is, and what part of the country it is in, and what gauge and hole size it has. Logically, OP should charge for hardware cloth that matches what is already used for the fence, at the going rate in their local store or ordered online.

Back
Top Bottom