Neighbors dog

And to clarify, my dogs are inside dogs that go outside to potty. USUALLY I go out with them (on a leash of the chickens are roaming) and they come back in with me. The only times they are left outside alone is when they go too deep into the woods and aren't back when it's time to go in. In these cases, I call them every few minutes until they're back inside...
I don't out them out and leave them to do whatever they please...
Not that it is relevant to her paying for the damage caused by her dogs but I hate the idea of someone thinking I'm some sort of irresponsible pet owner... My dogs are well trained and cared for and very loved.

Maybe, but if your dog wanders onto her property, and you never see it again, she'd be "in the Right", legally,, if she found some damage ......  for your dogs' sake, keep them home.

Yes I'm aware... This has already been stated. It's already been said that they are walked on a leash and kept under hand since the lady made us aware that she didn't want them under there. We have told her that we would do our best to keep them in check and that if they did cause damage, we would pay for it. We take responsibility for our animals.
And again, has nothing to do with her not taking responsibility for HER dog.
Edited to add: The Alabama law states that animals harassing livestock and damaging planted grounds can be shot... She can not shoot my dog just for being in her property.

Last edited:
No doubt it was her dog. It was carrying the poor pullet back into its yard when we found it and it ran off and then it had the nerve to come charging at me to get at my cat I was holding (which is when I caught it and put it back in its yard)
I'm just saying......but if this happened to me than that dog doesn't make it back home. One time I had a dog come after me and my dog that luckily (for the dogs sake) the owners came outside quickly....after that they were magically able to afford a fence for there yard.

I'm just saying......but if this happened to me than that dog doesn't make it back home.  One time I had a dog come after me and my dog that luckily (for the dogs sake) the owners came outside quickly....after that they were magically able to afford a fence for there yard.

I was more concerned with finding the rest of my little flock and making sure everyone was ok at that point. I just threw the dog in and went running to the coop.

Called the small claims court. I'm going to have to pay $72 to file for $85 worth of birds. The lady said that if I request the lady pay the court cost, but judge "usually" grants it but if not? All this for $13? Oh and I'd have to pay to have her served which is $13 dollars (if I do it myself through the mail) so if I win and she has to pay court costs, I'm not even getting the value of my birds back... If somehow I didn't win I'd have spent $85 on top of losing my birds and have nothing to show...
Decisions decisions...

Last edited:
Yes, they are separate issues and she should pay for the damage her dogs did. What you don't seem to understand is that you are also in the wrong letting your dogs out uncontrolled. I understand you are no longer doing it, and that's a good thing. Alabama gives a homeowner the right to shoot a dog for damaging plantings. That could be as simple as your dog urinating on someone's prized tomato plant.

We have neighbors who let their dogs roam free. They have never done any damage to us, but one of them is now a 3-legged dog (they are car chasers). It just isn't safe to let a dog roam.

Yes, they are separate issues and she should pay for the damage her dogs did. What you don't seem to understand is that you are also in the wrong letting your dogs out uncontrolled. I understand you are no longer doing it, and that's a good thing. Alabama gives a homeowner the right to shoot a dog for damaging plantings. That could be as simple as your dog urinating on someone's prized tomato plant.

We have neighbors who let their dogs roam free. They have never done any damage to us, but one of them is now a 3-legged dog (they are car chasers). It just isn't safe to let a dog roam.

I'm aware and it has been taken care of...

In SC you call Animal Control, they come over to do their investigation. If you agree to appear in court, they file all the papers and then they tell the dog owner when to show up in court. When you go to court, your tell your side to the judge, dog owner tells his side of the story. The dog warden tells the judge what he found in the investigation. Then the judge makes his decision and fines the dog owner.

The second time, every one repeats the above steps. If the judge finds the dog owner guilty again he can/or will order the dog destroyed.

You NEED to contact Animal Control to see what your rights are.

I was more concerned with finding the rest of my little flock and making sure everyone was ok at that point. I just threw the dog in and went running to the coop.

Called the small claims court. I'm going to have to pay $72 to file for $85 worth of birds. The lady said that if I request the lady pay the court cost, but judge "usually" grants it but if not? All this for $13? Oh and I'd have to pay to have her served which is $13 dollars (if I do it myself through the mail) so if I win and she has to pay court costs, I'm not even getting the value of my birds back... If somehow I didn't win I'd have spent $85 on top of losing my birds and have nothing to show...
Decisions decisions...
Hi again, I've just been following. That's ridiculous! For court, couldn't you add the lost egg production for the next few years just to make your effort a little more worth while? Instead of court, I thought I saw that you mentioned Animal Control. Did you contact them? Sorry if you've already said this and I missed it in the thread. Have you taken pictures of the dog(s) on your property and the damage for proof? As retired AC, I would think there should be a hefty fine for stray at large. Here. it's $100. first offence, doubles each subsequent. #3 = Public Nuisance and the dog can be seized. Here, for worrying livestock we can issue a Potentially Dangerous Restraining order and homeowners are allowed to shoot even for chasing. I've had neighbor dog issues several times. Polite warning a couple times, then I locked the dogs up in my barn. When the owners went out searching, I let them fret a very long time, then told them I had the dog(s). I firmly said that I could have shot them but didn't and next time I would take them to the pound or shoot them. If you took her dog to the pound, she would need to pay fines and impound fees. Maybe that angle would get your point across to her? i hope you get this resolved.
ETA I just saw you have pics.
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll call animal control now and post later with that I find. I really don't want to have to borrow money to take her to court for such a small amount. I'm by no means rich as a stay at home mom. My birds were meant to lower our future grocery cost and losing them just as they start earning their keep is a kick in the gut (and wallet)

Back
Top Bottom