Neighbors dog

Legally (at least in VA), you have full right to shoot any domestic animal that is chasing and or disturbing your livestock. On the other hand, it's not the dogs fault that their owner is a piece of *** who doesn't even bother to try basic animal management techniques, and seeing as you're out in the country, you will end up with a lot of dead dogs on your hands. I feel your pain and I'm very sorry for your loss. Highly recommend electric fencing, if you want to make it a large enough area to where it doesn't make sense to cover it, but you're afraid of them flying out, you can always clip their wings a little bit.

Haha I was wondering what SSS meant too. If I shoot this dog I'm gonna go drop it on their front porch. No shoveling for me

You can do that, then when you come home one day your chickens are dead, or your barn is burnt down or your house or windows are busted out or tires cut etc, etc, etc---I think you get the picture. That's where the last 2 S.S. are the smart way to go----neighbor does not know where the dog went, so he does not sneak over time after time to get you back.

I would never kill a dog and tell about it. Well I did one time-----trying to find the owner of two pitt bull dogs that murdered my 300+lb sow---but no one came forward. The 114 buzzards that showed up for the feast----eat my murdered sow and the 2 pitts.

The WESTERN AG REPORTER newspaper here in Montana sells S-S-S bumper stickers referring to the rancher hatred of wolves but it applies to many varmints both two and four legged. Myself I follow S-x-S just shoot and shut up, shoveling leaves too much forensic evidence.

Let me add to this. I have been three years running fighting bad neighbors who's dogs perpetually get out and more code violations than you can shake a stick at. Here in N. Nevada to own over four dogs you must be licensed and permitted. They were permitted but bad fences never fixed them and dogs run amok all over. It took several citations and court misdemeanors but finally - the DA had enough - the County Commissioners called them in and jerked their kennel license. Major naughty.

Wait it gets better. They had ten days to dispose of four of their seven dogs. They flipped off sheriff and county and said no way come and get us.

So now are in contempt of court. DA will be pressing for jail time and huge fines now. They are in hot water.

Yes there is risk of retaliation, they drive by and harass my dogs but I film it. I'm also shopping for a paint ball gun LOL. I keep my 1911 locked and loaded. I.E., Make My Day.

I also contact local paper and put sheriff in very embarrassing light when he's caught dragging his feet citing them and he has been as his deputy had the gall to tell me he 'felt sorry' for the lawbreakers. Some sheriff, huh….. But use your press if you can. Seriously. That is sometimes all that motivates elected officials to do their jobs: public shaming up the gazoo.

Strength in numbers. I have now another neighbor who's had it with them and next time their kids are out blowing off shotguns and disturbing our livestock they are calling them in too besides me and we are insisting on citations for disturbing the peace. Again, document everything.

Public shaming and pressure WILL sometimes work as will the legal system if you study and understand your local codes. If you are in the right, report them and see if your local LE will cite and if your DA is lazy or worth his salt. They usually are afraid of not being re-elected - remind them you vote and can spread word they are not doing their jobs.

SSS - well, that happens out here too but too many potential witnesses so it is high risk.

Again, look up your codes. See what is on your side. May be worth pushing them into court and getting fined, etc. Me, I am looking forward to seeing my neighbors in stripes soon…..and fined up the gazoo. Best of luck, keep us posted. It is indeed a strange world we live in these days and I'm liking people less and less…..!

Back
Top Bottom