Neighbors dogs got my birds, how much should he pay to replace them?

Hopefully you can get a list from the county like what was mentioned.

On a side note:
Recently in the news there was talk of a 2 or 4 year old that went into a neighbors yard,and got bit by the neighbors dogs. The AC said the dog was secured in its yard,had a license,and rabies shot.All of these things resulted in the dog NOT being put to sleep. Despite those things the dog owner may still be held liable for medical bills for the child even though the child trespassed. According to the *law* the newscaster said you are responsible for your pets actions regardless of where that pet is.Then they said to look into homeowners insurance to cover pets. That is a shame,because I WANT my dog to bite those that sneak into my yard.Ofcourse not a 4yo,but heck don't sue me if your kid gets hurt in my yard.Attractive nusiance laws are so stupid.They protect those who should not be protected.

Great that the neighbor offered to pay.So many other posters do not have this experience.

It would be worth looking into your county's ordinances for nuisance dogs.

Many cities/counties have a 1-time forgiveness policy (the first attack) for trespass kills. The second instance results in the nuisance animals being destroyed. If your neighbor knew this, he might be a better neighbor.

Mattemma that's just a load of HOOEY.

If I was in that situation and those parents tried to sue me I'd use the law as well. I'd file trespassing charges if need be, and I'd contact CPS because a 2-4 year old is NOT old enough to be wandering a neighborhood unsupervised... that's neglect.

THEIR neglectful actions led to their child being hurt... child could have gotten hit by a car while wandering the street, then you'd be suing the driver because a 2 year old totally has the right to wander there. Would they also sue if their kid had been bitten by a snake on their own property? Who would they sue, Mother Nature? I really hope they have more sense than that. Bad enough their child was a victim of their negligence, but to drag other innocent people into the fray is just... gah!

There is a leash law where I live, and as a former owner of dogs who, despite my best efforts, would not be contained (had to give them up) I agree the neighbor should pay 100%.

A couple of years ago, I was living at my mom's before she passed on. My sister who lives with me now was taking care of her, and living there as well. I had my small mixed breed and a couple of my cats there as well. They had a chiuahua dog and some cats too. Their next door neighbor had a larg pit bull named Luke. Then they got a female, which they kept chained up, though they sometimes would let her loose in the yard. One day while I was at work, the female came over into the yard (both yards are fenced) and attacked my little dog. She came close to killing Mira, and the vet bill was around $300. We called animal control and the dog was put on like a probation thing...first offense. They said they would pay the vet but only paid $20.

Several months later we got to missing Mom's dog. While out looking for him, I found one of my cats, dead between a tree and the fence next to that neighbor's yard. And partially buried. My sister called animal control and mentioned something in her conversation with the neighbor (who was trying to say his dog had not gotten out of his yard), that the dog had been digging over next to mom's house, pointing to the corner where the bedroom jutted out. When I heard her say that, and saw the pile of dirt she was referring to, I KNEW. Picking up a stick, I poked in the pile of dirt a bit, and sure enough, out flopped Patches' ear. She had totally buried him in the corner.

Seeing absolute proof that the dog had indeed gotten out and killed our pets, the animal control officer gave the neighbor 2 options:

1) Turn the dog over to be destroyed (she had clearly demonstrated she was a danger to other animals, though not to people), second offense
or....

2) Build a chain-linked kennel of certain dimensions with a concrete floor and she was never to be out without being on a leash and under his complete control. Plus, he would be required to purchase a $1 million dollar insurance policy on her

He opted for the first.

It saddened me to see her being taken away, but I knew it was the best thing to do.
By the way, we had never known what the dog's name was till that day. It was Angel. Strange, huh?

Wow, that's an animal control officer with some... (how do I say it?)... well, you get the idea! A kennel with concrete floor and a million dollar liability policy!!!!

I believe that dog may have been trained to fight, since she obviously hated other animals. Even when she was chained, any time one of our pets was out in the yard, she went crazy barking at them and straining at the chain. Luke, the other pit, never acted agressive toward us. He would bark sometimes, but never acted the way she did.

Yep, a million dollar policy, that's what the officer told him. The neighbor offered to give her away to someone else, but the officer pointed out that no matter who owned her, they would be required to to the same things (kennel and policy). That's when he finally decided to turn her over to him.

In ALABAMA the LIVESTOCK LAW does not matter whether the chickens are locked up or not, nor the dog escaped or was on/off lead. It killed livestock period!

They are your livestock and his dogs killed them. He is liable to pay back 2 times the VALUE of the animal Plus any money that bird would have made you over the time of ownership. Basically 2-3 years for a Layer per doz eggs, Meat value on a meat bird etc... If they are breeders you would have to add up double the cost of the bird PLUS the loss of future hatchings being sold for however long you usually keep the bird.

I lost some 40 Bantam breeder birds a couple of years ago to 2 dogs. Adding it all up They WOULD have owed me close to $10,000 in Lost futures and current birds. I DID NOT charge them that amount, I only charged them replacement Value of what I had lost and did not go overboard and into what I could have gotten by law. I have dogs and would not have wanted someone to do that to me if they went crazy and did damage somewhere.
I did feel simple replacement was fair and might should mention that we killed their dogs that night.

Somewhere on here is the thread about what we went through along with graphic pictures.

Well, I've read all the posts. I have neighbors, that I know if this happened to me, and its come close, they would offer to replace. But I know they could not really afford to replace with like birds, (POL), or their real value.

I like raising baby chicks and I see you have children, bet they do to. That is what I'd do, order some baby chicks and duckies and let them pay for them and let your kids play with them and move on with life. This is your neighbor not someone 2 streets over or across town.

This is getting to be a bit of a heated discusstion with very good points noting the laws and ordinances.

Just try to be nice to one another less the mods get involved.

Remember, the OP just asked what the value of her birds were. How much she actually asks the neighbor to pay is her decision. We don't know her neighbor or what kind of person he is, maybe theyve known each other for years and hes a really nice guy, maybe hes a jerk and she should rip him off. Everything else is our opinions.

DebsChicks....I like that animal control officer.

But that episode makes me wonder....
Why would a person would get the type of animals almost
guaranteed to cause trouble with neighbors and the law?

Here's an aggressive / roaming dog!
He's gonna be trouble for someone!
I'll take him!
Oh crap, I have trouble now!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom