Neighbor's dogs killed all but one of my chickens!!

My neighbor's dogs broke into my fence and destroyed all but one hen in my perfect little flock that has taken me almost 3 years to develop. They are willing to compensate me financially but I don't know how much to ask. Sure, they were inexpensive when I bought them as chicks but they would certainly cost more as mature birds. We all know how much time and expense goes into raising healthy happy chickens. And I am devastated! It was really traumatic. Any advice?
I have a fenced yard and let my chickens out of the coop when I am home . We have a neighbor that lets her pit bull run loose sometimes . I have called the dog catcher but she calls him in before he gets there . The police told me if he gets into my yard I can shoot him if I feel threatened and I will . I am very afraid of them . He has killed sheep in the field up here .

So sorry for your loss, how heartbreaking. :( :hugs No financial amount of compensation is ever enough in these types of devastating situations. They were more then just chickens to you, they were your pets. Wishing you the best. :)

I have a fenced yard and let my chickens out of the coop when I am home . We have a neighbor that lets her pit bull run loose sometimes . I have called the dog catcher but she calls him in before he gets there . The police told me if he gets into my yard I can shoot him if I feel threatened and I will . I am very afraid of them . He has killed sheep in the field up here .
The police should fine her for that otherwise the neighbor has no motive to keep up the dog and shows no concern for the dog’s welfare.

My neighbor's dogs broke into my fence and destroyed all but one hen in my perfect little flock that has taken me almost 3 years to develop. They are willing to compensate me financially but I don't know how much to ask. Sure, they were inexpensive when I bought them as chicks but they would certainly cost more as mature birds. We all know how much time and expense goes into raising healthy happy chickens. And I am devastated! It was really traumatic. Any advice?
I'm sooooooo sorry. The coyotes got 2/3 of my flock (18 weeks old and just starting to lay) this summer! Now I've got a fence around my coop that looks like the exercise yard at a maximum security prison! But, losing them was very traumatic. I cried for a couple of days but am now enjoying my two remaining hens and am looking forward to starting again in the spring.

[/QUOTE
Are there no "leash laws" there? I get really tired of people always trying to "buy" their way out of a situation. More than money is invested when we decide to raise and groom a flock. It sounds like you had formed quite an emotional bond with yours. Most of us do.
Where we live, one is perfectly within their rights to shoot predators that kill or harass their livestock.

I recommend trading bullets for pullets, don't let a chicken killing dog leave your property alive. Keep it to yourself, your neighbors will not appreciate you protecting yourself, & you may very well be publicly crucified by them and their inbred social media friends. Shoot, shovel, shut up.

Hi,
im so sorry for your devastating loss. I had the same thing happen to my flock. It was very traumatic as I was home and couldn’t stop the dog. Finally caught it with the help of a neighbor. 3 birds killed on the spot and one I took to the vet had to be put down she was beyond recuperating.
the dog got loose from a pet sitter’s across the creek from us. She said she was willing to pay for my loss. I think she was shocked when she got my bill- the cost of replacing adult birds plus the vet bill. I found adult birds of my various breeds online and supplied her with that info. I also wanted the payment to be punitive so she would be more careful in the future.
Ultimately, the dog destroyed your chickens on your property. I think you are due the mature cost of every bird and the repair of your fence.

To prevent this from happening again, I'd get an airsoft gun. If found they are great deterrents for predators. A cheap one is anywhere from 100 to 120 dollars but it's a good investment. I'm a big airsofter so if your interested and want recommendations just let me know.

I recommend trading bullets for pullets, don't let a chicken killing dog leave your property alive. Keep it to yourself, your neighbors will not appreciate you protecting yourself, & you may very well be publicly crucified by them and their inbred social media friends. Shoot, shovel, shut up.
Redneck to redneck this a good idea except for legal reasons. I'd go with less lethal first. Maybe some cracker rounds out of a shotgun.

Redneck to redneck this a good idea except for legal reasons. I'd go with less lethal first. Maybe some cracker rounds out of a shotgun.
[/QUOTE
Any other wild animal yes. Dogs you may have some legal issues.

Back
Top Bottom