neighbor's dogs & our animals

PuppyBantamCochin

Songster
9 Years
Apr 19, 2010
okay...i'll try to make this short.
we have 3 neighbors that live close by on the dirt road our house is on. all three have dogs, but one of our neighbors, who is nice and responsible, keeps her dogs, 2 pitbull types, inside and does not let them run loose. another neighbor has one dog, a jack russel, and he does run loose occasionally, but not hardly as much as our third neighbor, who has four dogs (1 jrt, 1 chow-chow, 1 basset houndx and a boston terrier type). Their dogs used to run free all the time.now, the hound is a sweet dog, and the little boston x is deaf and blind, but the others are a pain! last year, their JRT killed four of our pullets and 2 of our young roosters (we did not catch him in the act, but the bite marks were that of a smaller dog).(my parents never told them about it...but we really should've...at least we might've been able to get some money to replace the birds)
Earlier this year, he killed three of our (then) four hens.
Not long after that we talked to our neighbor who has the pit bulls. We told her that we thought that the other neighbor's dog had killed our hens. She told us then that yes, he was a chicken killer, and he had also killed ducks and that the chow-chow had killed her cats. wonderful.
Around the time that dog killed our 2 hens, one of our goats had a baby. they were locked in a shed with a dog kennel attached, and we once caught the jrt digging holes around the kennel, trying to get in at the goats.
not too long after we learned that the our neighbor's cats had been killed by these dogs, we left one day to go to school, we came back to a dead cat. No bite marks, nothing but a broken neck and dog slobber all over her coat.
now, for the most part the jack russel is kept inside. i think that the dogs' owners found out that their dog had been killing our chickens and chasing our goats.
we currently have 18 chickens and their coop is more secure now, we never let them free range without supervision, and with the dog being kept inside most of the time, things are a better. we also have 5goats and 3sheep.
a couple days ago, however, we let the sheep and goats out to graze and the little jrt was loose. he charged the sheep and they freaked, but i was there and charged at him and sent him back to his property. but my concern is he's a very small dog, and he can get through the woven wire fence we use for our animals. If he ever gets out while we're not there and gets into the sheep pen, could he hurt them?
Also, next spring we'll have lambs and goat kids arriving. Since this dog's killed 5-6pound chickens, will he go after 3-5pound kids and lambs?
i'm not sure what to do. my goats are pretty ''dog-aggressive'' and have butted dogs hard, but the sheep would rather run. it's such a mess...and the stupid dog isn't even 15pounds...i really wish I could shoot the stupid thing, but he never comes in our property if he knows we're around.
help!

thanks

F.V.

You should definitely let the dog's owners know of your concern. They may not realize the damage that their animals are doing and they should be aware, and they should lock their dogs up.

Someone else posted on here that they caught a neighbor's dog and painted a bullseye on the side of the dog and they never had anymore problems after that. If the dog is killing chickens it will definitely go after the young goats. Since the dog has a long history of killing chickens it will not stop, unfortuneatly you will need to shoot it or take it to the pound, it doesn't sound like the owner really cares about it.

hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
ohhhhh im sitting here looking at my lil' jack russel and thinking how can they kill somthing as cute as you... sniffle
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
(just kidding about how can they kill somthing as cute as you that easy with ear plugs ,rubber gloves, tissies and 2 blind folds one for me and one for you,
fl.gif
)
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

Talk to the dogs owners. Just cause they know their dogs are running loose does not mean they know they are killing the neighbors pets. Most people would be pretty horrified to learn their precious doggie killed something. definately tell them....remember communication is the key
smile.png

Get rid of any problem animals.Owners know their pets can klill or be killed.Contacting them just puts you in their sights if anything happens to the pet.When you let a pet run loose you put them at risk for death,injury,or being picked up by anyone.It was their choice to let the animals roam. Neighbor disputes can get nasty.Better to just remedy the situation without engaging in back and forth talk.

Back
Top Bottom