neighbors & dogs

It is not good to stress about a problem that does not even exist. Take a thoughtful walk around your yard and make sure that your fencing is good and strong and that your yard is secure. Make sure that you have done what you can to keep your chicken safe from ALL predators that can get in your yard.

It sounds like you have already discussed your concerns with the neighbors. If you have not then do that.

Yes. some people have had bad experiences with dogs but not all dogs are rabid killing machines that will scale anything and dig giant holes to get at your birds. It sounds to me like you have a standard wooden fence in your backyard correct? So the dog will not even be able to see the birds? I would just make sure there is not a gap between the bottom of the fence and ground.

Give them a chance. If you came at me before I even moved in accusing my dogs of things that had not even happened I would be very off put and less likely to be your allie in the future.
I was very nice to them--we laughed about the dog/chicken situation. I wasn't rude and didn't accuse them of anything ;) It is a sort of standard fence around here, but you can see through between the slats. It goes all the way to the ground.

I think it is really good to be aware and concerned. But I don't want you to work yourself up into a fear frenzy either. lol. I really hope everything goes well and that they end up being great neighbors with a well taken care of dog.

If they dog jumps the fence and has a go at your chooks hit it or throw something at it. It is the neighbors job to keep their pet under control, But if you have a soft spot for dogs, (I do but when it comes to my chooks i'm vicious
somad.gif
) Just add wire to the fence. Its only a dog!! They cant jump too high.

Can a lab jump a 6' fence? Absolutely, they can (depending on training, age, weight and health of the dog)

Yellow lab jumping and scaling a 6' 3" fence right there...just for a ball.

Let's not forget that Labradors were specifically bred to retrieve fish and later bred and honed to retrieve game (mainly fowl!)

They can and will dig through almost anything to get what they want, as well. Rocks don't help. We didn't have chickens at the time, but in our old house (thankfully we have since moved) their dogs used to dig under the fence all the time to get to our little tiny dogs when we'd take them out for potty breaks (we never left them outside alone even for a second). We tried cinder blocks - they just dug and shuffled around them enough to get the dirt to settle a certain way so the blocks would fall in and they'd come right through. We tried pouring concrete and they just used the other side of their yard (not on our property so we had no control over it) to get out and jump our fence. We built a taller fence in the back - they jumped that as well. If they can't dig they'll jump and if they can't jump they'll dig, and to an untrained dog ... chickens are nothing more than mealtime.

We reported the dogs at least 10 times and several times they were actually confiscated by animal control - and every time the owners bailed them out of doggy jail.

I'm not saying this to scare you, I'm saying it to make you aware that (in my opinion) you may be in for a real battle and I don't believe in candy-coating things when it concerns an animal's life (I candy-coat almost everything else, though lol)

OR...the dog may not give two hoots about your chickens and do absolutely nothing

I don't know what to tell you on this one (we ended up moving only for the safety of our own pets!) but good luck.
sad.png
Never underestimate the power of a dog when it's made its mind up to do something.

Suggestion:

I would have another, lengthier and more serious conversation with the new neighbors. Be polite and courteous and respectful, but let them know that they should NOT take your politeness as passivity. You want good relations with your neighbors (everyone does), but they need to know that this is not a joke to you and you are seriously concerned about your chickens. It is a natural instinct for labs to go after chickens - that's what they were initially bred for.

Source: my own big mouth and not-so-humble opinion.

[Edited to add] IF the dog finds a way into your yard the first step is calling Animal Control...which you probably already know. IF he/she finds a way into your yard I would at least ask the owners if they would consider a dog run for their yard. I don't believe in tethering animals, it's inhumane...but a nice big dog run would prevent him from accessing your chickens in the future.

Last edited:
if you notice any interest from the dog just run an electric fence wire around the bottom of the fence to keep them from digging thru. I would replace my gates with six footers. Even if these folks don't buy the house anyone that does is likely to have a dog. just keep a watchful eye on things and don't discount small dogs either. My most determined to get at the chickens dog is a hard headed little Pomeranian mix

Lisa

Other options and considerations for you. Find out if pellet guns are legal in your neighborhood and if they can be discharged there. If so...get one. They are useful for predators and for sending a message to a stray dog. If not get a paintball gun...non-lethal but stings like heck and will let dog know that your yard means pain. Plus the added benefit for those neighbors who say "my dog never leaves his yard". Well explain the neon pink all over his arse then. I did that to a black lab years ago who was using my lawn as his potty every morning but according to the owner "never leaves his yard"
Worked for me but dog chose another neighbor's yard.

Last edited:
i think you are very smart to be considering all possibilities and wanting to take steps to protect your birds. You can't be too careful. Even though the 4' gates lead to your front yard, that still leaves your birds vulnerable. Any medium to large dog wandering loose in your neighborhood could jump over and get your birds. As for the new neighbors, would it work for you to keep your chickens penned at first so you can determine if their dogs are a threat?

Someone else was here looking at the house yesterday, with the same agent, so I think that may be a good sign that the other couple are maybe not buying the house. The previous couple seemed a little young to need such a big house (no kids, and it is $$). The new people had a baby and 3 or 4 year old with them.

(Yes, I'm being nosy! I can sit on my deck and see over into their back yard. We have *never* had anyone really live there in the 12 years we have been in our house. I want neighbors, with kids, without a big dog LOL)

I honestly have never once seen a loose dog in my neighborhood, not to say it can't happen, but I'm not very concerned about that. I should add on to the gates, but then my daughter wouldn't be able to open them. I think there are gate latches that can be accessed from both sides..I should look into that.

I could keep the hens penned, but they wouldn't be very happy about it :)

Please don't make any snap judgements about new neighbors just because they own a dog. The most important trait for the dog will be the training that the people give it and the amount of time they are willing to spend with it. If they have a dog, but leave it alone in the backyard all the time and ignore it, there is a dog that will need to find its own entertainment, which may be barking constantly, or chasing your birds, or some other anoying behavior.

My brother-in-laws lab would chase the chickens away from his tennis balls. That was the extent of his bird chasing. The chickens were allowed to take his rawhides, eat his food, sleep in his doghouse, but god forbid a chicken came within 3 feet of his ball! He would stack all of them in a pile out in the yard and stand guard against chicken thievery.

Just because a person owns a big dog, doesn't mean that their dog is going to eat your birds. And honestly, a small dog will be just as likely to kill your chickens. The important thing is for you to impress on the new neighbor that they are responsible for containing their dog in their yard.

I hope you can relax and not worry about the situation. Just evaluate the situation as it happens. Maybe you will want to keep you birds contained when they first move in to evaluate the actual threat level from a new dog in the neighborhood. Maybe let them free range only when you are home for the first couple of days.

Back
Top Bottom