Neighbors Got Their Dogs Back During The Week

Not sure how your pig pen is set up but a good strong hot wire should keep the dogs from getting into the pen... .. Put one strand just above the ground, one about nose hieght to the dogs and another along the top of the fence.. And put some power to it.. When they hit it it should make them yelp good.
And use slugs in that shot gun if you can.. Aim for the chest. Make sure you arent using some light bird shot.. that will just pepper them unless your real close..
The reason they are going for their ears has nothing to do with the ear treats sold at feed stores.. It has to do with going for the head of the pig and those ears are floping around and are easy to grab..
I feel real bad for you since your neighbor obviously has no common sense or love for their animals. If you DO shoot the dogs, take lots of pictures of your pigs and the dogs and also get some with both dog and pig in the same picture if possible. Call animal control or whoever covers animal cases there. And make out a full and complete report and press charges for the damages done to your pigs.. Any medications, vet bills, etc PLUS the loss of weight gain due to the stress..
Check into your local regulations.. Specifically dangerous animals running loose, harrassing/harming livestock, any leash law or dog being under control laws... etc..
Good luck
smile.png

Oh dang it, Ed.So sorry you're having troubles again. :thun
Hoping your pigs get thru this. Some people I tell ya..
smack.gif

Make sure if ya get pics have dates,times etc on your camera & wouldn't hurt to document this whole ordeal just in case those folks want to sue.
Good luck & I hope this gets resolved soon.
Miriam

Im a lousy shot. My husband shot a dog once and we warned the owner for two years before this happened. The owner was not happy and threaten to kill us and we had witnesses. The second time the deputy sided with him even tho he called the guy a&*hole. Then FINALLy just a month ago HE MOVED! I screamed hallejuah and called all my nieghbors elated. We won!!

I live in the country and the sherriff said there are no leash laws. It is the S rule out here, not the SSS. They won't drive an hour to my house. And what better way to document dates and times than right here on BYC? That is how I found the date of the last incedent! A year from now, I can go back and reread what I typed and relive it if I have to. I was glad to see that 2 of the pigs would let me scratch behind their ears as long as I was outside their pen. They are all eating good. I will have to put a hot wire on top, My black lab and the pigs are always sniffing each other. He does not try and get in the pen and I don't want to keep them from seeing one another.

Using a hot wire is your best bet so that other dogs don't also come by. Putting a bit of hot dog on the wire to make sure they know the wire is hot will keep them away (as well as many other predators.

It's well worth the time and $

Sandra

ed, you do what you have to do to end this. Nothing is going to stop them now that they have had a taste. Good luck to you and keep us posted.

Make sure you talk to the sheriff. Tell him if he won't do anything to stop the owners from letting their dogs attack your livestock, you'll press charges against the sheriffs office or the county. If he does nothing, go to the district attorney and tell him. If *he* does nothing, keep going up the chain of command. The only reason the law said they can't do anything is because they're either too darn lazy, firends of the dogs' owners, or both. I don't care what state you're in, your livestock are supposed to be protected by the laws. I was a witness for a friend who took to court the owners of a dog that killed one of his calves. We won.

That is really sad that the owners could care less about their dogs, and try and atleast build a pen for them to keep them from harming your babies or getting shot because of their ignorance. I see you live in Slocomb, AL. I'll see if i can't find someone that will come and get the dogs.If it's not too late, I know you have to do what you have to do to protect your piggies. I know Turtle Moon Rescue in Lineville, AL. rescue's that breed of dog.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom