Neighbors Left Me in charge of Chicks, Chick is hurt, please help!

Plain yogurt, you can mix in your own flavors- less sugar.

She's probably okay over night, the swelling would have blocked her airway by now. IF you get up for any reason, just peek in and make sure breathing seems normal.

I'm working tomorrow, but I'll subscribe to this post so my phone alerts me if you post- Worried for the little one.
fl.gif

Sleep well!

Use some common sense here. The bird has had a bit of trauma, the string is off the tongue, make sure the bird has fresh water and some food. Leave the rest of these additions to the person caring for the bird. I think adding vinegar or anything foreign to water when the bird has had some trauma is a bad move. It may effect the birds inclination to drink if there is something unknown in the water.

What is with the vinegar fixation and chickens???

The AVC needs to be in plastic not metal the measurements you are using are correct I do this daily. Plain yougart is great, I mix with chicken starter few times a week, but so are the boiled eggs.
PS Hope the Chicken is doing well today.

You don't need ACV or anything except some extra protein and fresh water. ACV, garlic, vitamins, etc, won't make the situation better or worse. They have their uses, but really have nothing to do with this situation. Just let the trauma subside and hope the tongue doesn't swell too large for the bird to breathe. The only thing I might consider giving is a baby aspirin to alleviate the swelling. That may actually have some value in this situation.

well ts 8 in the morning. the bird is breathing fine, and it looks like she had a little to drink this morning. i gave her some scrambled eggs (1) but we didnt have garlic. she hasnt ate is yet, and i told her it goes on her hospital bill weather she eats it on not (lol). she is peeping a lot, trying to get out of the cramped animal carrier when i open the door, so i think she is ready to go home.

Well, if you're sure the bird has no more string in there, there isn't much else you can do except let her out and watch to see what happens as the day wears on. I'd just let it go back to the coop mates, will be less stressful for it.

10:00 AM. just went down and checked on the chick, i took her back to her coop earlier. she seems fine, is walking around with the others, napping with the others, and when i throw corn to them they all run for it. she is doing so good i cant tell which one it was (neighbor has 5 Barred Rocks) so i think she made a full recovery.
celebrate.gif
it was scary, but im hoping its over. thank you guys so much for the help!!!
thumbsup.gif

Sorry the pic is a little blurry
53087_small_stacy_pic.jpg

Back
Top Bottom