Neighbors rooster attacked one of my baby chickens

Barnes811

Chirping
May 14, 2020
So we let our chickens free range and so does the neighbor across the street 2 house down. Well her rooster has been coming over and my hens are folling him across the street back to there house and a few days ago I ran out there because I heard a chicken squawking and he attacked one of my 3 month old chickens. I talked to the neighbor and told her and she said she would lock them up but it’s been a few days and the 2 are still coming over. I’ve shot them with BB guns and chased them off like 4 times a day. Would I be in legal rights to kill them? Or is there someone I should call. I live in Indiana I can’t find anything on the laws if I could be charged for it. This has been going on for months now

So should I call animal control?
And the rooster has attacked my teenage hens already. One has a limp right now how could that be considered animal cruelty if I’m protecting my animals. Would it of been better if I shot it right then? I’m just confused

So we let our chickens free range and so does the neighbor across the street 2 house down. Well her rooster has been coming over and my hens are folling him across the street back to there house and a few days ago I ran out there because I heard a chicken squawking and he attacked one of my 3 month old chickens. I talked to the neighbor and told her and she said she would lock them up but it’s been a few days and the 2 are still coming over. I’ve shot them with BB guns and chased them off like 4 times a day. Would I be in legal rights to kill them? Or is there someone I should call. I live in Indiana I can’t find anything on the laws if I could be charged for it. This has been going on for months now
Out of curiosity, how close do you all live that you're both allowing your chickens to free range? Or is her rooster going pretty far to get to yours?

Honestly, you've already spoken with her. She's not taking care with her rooster which is her fault, not his. He clearly isn't a wild animal, please don't shoot him.

I would keep my chickens in their run at least until the situation is handled. There is no reason to keep putting them in harm's way when you know that rooster will keep coming over. Pen them up for their safety.

Then I would contact animal control. Take pictures of the rooster on your property as well just in case. Maybe if she gets a visit from animal control she will take care of her rooster's roaming.

And the rooster has attacked my teenage hens already. One has a limp right now how could that be considered animal cruelty if I’m protecting my animals. Would it of been better if I shot it right then? I’m just confused
Tell the neighbor to keep the roosters home cause they’re beating up your chickens. Otherwise you’re going to kill them. If they keep coming kill them. They’ll learn one way or the other.

Do you live in a fence in or a fence out township? Indiana has both as each township decides http://woodlandsteward.squarespace....on by,he desires to keep animals off his land.

In a fence out area, it is your responsibility to fence out any animals you don't want on your property.

In a fence in area, you could try forcing her to fence her's in but it might cost more than fencing yours in.

Indiana law does not allow you to shoot your neighbor's livestock, even if they are on your property or causing damage to you. "Indiana law permits a property owner to "take-up" animals that are trespassing and hold them until proper compensation is offered for damages and the cost of keeping the animal(s). If requested, the statute requires the township trustee to appoint two disinterested parties to determine the damages. If the owner of the animal(s) offers an amount to settle and subsequent court proceedings award no more than the settlement offered, the party claiming damages is assessed the court costs." Quote from same source as the link above.

Agree with others that suggest keeping YOURS penned until this is resolved. Do NOT shoot at the neighbor's birds; that will only get YOU in trouble! I'd make a record of your talks with the neighbor too: date and time, what was discussed, hell, even get their commitment in writing if you can. Video evidence is good too! Pretty much all cell phones will record a conversation with video and audio these days. Turn your video on as you walk over and drop it in a shirt pocket to record the exchange.

During this second exchange with the neighbor, ask them to keep their rooster off your property again, preferably on their property only, but you're concerned with your property. If they're agreeable to that, then you've again accomplished what you want, a commitment that they'll pen their rooster. Have them put a signature to your mutual agreement this time if they will. Then, you'll need to monitor that for a week or so to see if they're doing what they agreed to.

If the rooster comes back over and it likely will (yours are still penned mind you), then it's time for a 3rd and final talk. In this again-recorded talk, you ask for a third time that they keep the rooster off your property and hint that you don't wish to involve animal control, but that you can't have your birds attacked any longer on your own property. You are within your rights to defend your property and anything on it, but you want to do it amicably and without drama.

Hopefully, with some patience and dialogue, the two of you can come to live peacefully as neighbors and chicken keepers.

Last edited:
So should I call animal control? Eat them quietly! Free ranging animals near neighbors can lead to problems like this, if they are not confined to your property! If a strange chicken shows up here they are immediately dispatched with a gun to prevent disease spread to my chickens, they may turn up on my grill! If the chickens are not wearing ID badges, who knows whose they are? Irresponsible pet and flock owners make for the often, unwanted regulations in towns and troubles between neighbors!

Not sure what’s it’s like where you are at, but here we have the right to shoot any animal that is being a threat while on our land, that being said make sure you have evidence that it was being a threat while it was on your land.

If it’s the neighbors animal I will talk to them. But I only talk to them once, if they don’t do anything and the animal is still a problem I deal with it myself.

Back
Top Bottom