Neighbor's rooster

m.kitchengirl

Songster
8 Years
Jun 4, 2011
Maine
So, I have had chickens for about a year.
My neighbor caddy corner to me recently got chickens.
I heard a rooster start to crow over there about a month ago.
No big deal, at least it is not MY rooster.

Well, he is a good sized Buff Orpington rooster with 8 (at least) gals of his own, but he has recently started to come to my yard to visit.
It doesn't bother me too much, but I wonder about illnesses, and I worry he will be hit crossing the road (I guess I know why the chicken crossed the road...).
I have spoken with the neighbor, but he can't seem to find how the sneaky brat is getting out - during the week they are penned & only range during the day when they are around.
He's over here now, foraging with the girls... maybe he thinks that they are part of his flock & is trying to bring them back over there?

Are there any ways I can protect my flock from illness / know his flock is disease free?
I really don't mind him coming to visit, as long as he is not carrying something that will infect my girls. Or, is it likely, since we live so close, that many illnesses would already be things they are exposed to?

If he looks healthy, I wouldn't worry too much. The only thing you could truly do is insist that your neighbor keeps him at home. That would be the only way you could insure your flock won't catch anything from him.

I don't think people vaccinate adult chickens. It's usually done when the chicks are day olds. Some people are really crazy about bio-security. I do think it's important, but then you would have to make sure your neighbor never came over as well, or that he put special booties over his shoes when he even walked on your property.

Even wild birds can carry diseases. Truthfully, I just don't worry about it much. As long as he is a healthy rooster, and he's not hurting your hens, and you don't mind, I wouldn't do a thing.

thumbsup.gif

That was kind of my feeling as well, but I am new to this, and if there were huge concerns or red flags I wanted to hear them before I start tossing carrot peels out the kitchen door.

Back
Top Bottom