Neighbor's Rottweiler Killed my Chickens and a Duck

Jemmie

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 29, 2014
Kunkletown, PA
So several months back, I got fed up with the neighbor's Rottweiler coming on to my property and charging me. The thing is huge! I told the neighbor to keep her dog on her property. She shrugged her shoulders in disbelief and then said "OK." I was relieved that she seemed to keep her promise.

Today I caught her Rottweiler chasing after my leghorns on my property but not before it killed 2 hens, a duck, and injured 2 hens. My spouse went over to their house with a bill telling her and her husband what they owed and said that if their dog comes on our property, he's going to shoot it dead. They responded by saying they didn't care and would call the police if he didn't leave their property. Of course he did and left the bill on their drive way.

This dog is huge and fearless and I am 5 foot tall and 110 pounds. Should I report this to the authorities or do I have the right to shoot their dog if it comes back on my property? I do not want to shoot the dog, but I'm afraid of it now and fear for my livestock. Will an electric fence keep it from coming over? It was savage, with slobber all over its face and absolutely excited by its killing spree.

I would definitely call the authorities, animal control or the game warden depending on where you live. They should give you confirmation if you can kill the dog if it comes back on your property. I would hope animal control would take the dog from them rather than let it get killed. The dog is only doing what is natural, and its the owners who are to blame.

An electric fence would definitely keep the dog at bay, assuming he can't jump it. If you get one, bait it. Hang bacon strips covered in bacon in such a way that he gets zapped in the nose when he investigates. You will also want a good charger - 1 joule should be the minimum in order to get a really good shock. My fence puts out 8000+ volts, and that will stop anything, especially if they get it on the nose first.

Electric fences can be expensive in start up costs, but they protect from all land based predators, so the Rottie may not be your only problem down the road, and once you have the fence, it will protect them from a lot of other problems.

Good luck.

I would definitely call the authorities, animal control or the game warden depending on where you live. They should give you confirmation if you can kill the dog if it comes back on your property. I would hope animal control would take the dog from them rather than let it get killed. The dog is only doing what is natural, and its the owners who are to blame.

An electric fence would definitely keep the dog at bay, assuming he can't jump it. If you get one, bait it. Hang bacon strips covered in bacon in such a way that he gets zapped in the nose when he investigates. You will also want a good charger - 1 joule should be the minimum in order to get a really good shock. My fence puts out 8000+ volts, and that will stop anything, especially if they get it on the nose first.

Electric fences can be expensive in start up costs, but they protect from all land based predators, so the Rottie may not be your only problem down the road, and once you have the fence, it will protect them from a lot of other problems.

Good luck.
Thank you for the reply, insight and suggestions. I'm calling the county animal warden when the office opens this morning, mailing a bill to my neighbors for the cost of replacement of those killed animals, and getting estimates for the fencing.

I've not lost a single animal to a predator (lucky I know), but understand it's always a possibility and also understand a natural predator is hunting for its meal. I wouldn't like it if a natural predator killed my chickens or ducks nor would I feel anger about it. When a neighbor's dog, however, and a LARGE and well-fed one, is out of control and the owners do not care, well...I didn't get much sleep last night. It breaks my heart, especially for my Khaki Campbell duck who wasn't fast enough to even have a chance to get away. But to your point, a dog IS a predator and now, it's going to be a problem because of its owners.

You are well within your right to shoot the dog. That said, are you and/or your husband proficient with a firearm? Unless the person doing the shooting knows exactly what they are doing, don't whip out a firearm. Poor firearm skills could endanger yourself or others.

A bad shot will lead to unnecessary suffering if the animal is wounded, not quickly killed. A dog will likely be a moving target, and takes more skill to hit than a deer chewing its cud.

This dog is huge and fearless and I am 5 foot tall and 110 pounds. Should I report this to the authorities or do I have the right to shoot their dog if it comes back on my property? I do not want to shoot the dog, but I'm afraid of it now and fear for my livestock. Will an electric fence keep it from coming over? It was savage, with slobber all over its face and absolutely excited by its killing spree.
Call the police and tell them everything that has happened so far. File a report - the more that is on paper the better.

PA law states:
" Under the latter, any person may kill any dog which he sees in the act of pursuing or wounding or killing any domestic animal, including household pets, or pursuing, wounding or attacking human beings, whether or not such a dog bears a required license tag. There is no liability on such persons in damages or otherwise for such killing."
https://www.animallaw.info/statute/pa-dog-law-chapter-8-dogs-consolidated-dog-laws

If the dog comes on your property again, and goes to harm your animals, shoot it.

You are all more patient than I. Around my neighborhood, you get 1 free chance. After that, the dog(s) will never be seen again. I have many animals that we as a family raise and care for as well as care about. I also have 2 children. You mess with my animals, you get 1 free warning. You mess with my children, your warning is void. Now, we have a neighbor dog that comes to visit regularly and he doesn't bother any of my animals, including my 17 year old cats. He loves to play with the kids, then he goes home. He is always welcome. I also agree with the above post about safe gun handling. If you don't know what you are doing, don't do it. Anything shot on my property doesn't know what hit it. They die instantly so there is no suffering. I will get off my soap box now...
wink.png

First I want to thank everyone for your responses.

My neighbor came through and offered to pay for the replacement of my livestock and has an invisible fence put in place. She said she was sincerely sorry. I think the initial reaction was just defensiveness and fear to my husband's threat to shoot their dog.

Regardless, I now carry a can of bear pepper spray at my side. Come spring if I can afford it, I'll be putting in electric fencing around the perimeter of my 4 acres.

Invisible fence is unlikely to stop the dog. One squirrel comes running by and that dog will run through the barrier. Once he's through, no more shocks unless he tries to come BACK through the fence.

It didn't work with my neighbor's dog, unfortunately. They have to keep batteries in the collar and if he breezes through, just like this member says, he won't want to come back through and be shocked again.

This was my experience with an invisible fence dog: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/385404/trapped-a-neighbors-dog-on-my-deck-got-an-earful

Back
Top Bottom