Neighbor's unaltered cats driving me nuts!

Vets here will spay or neuter a dog or cat for 10$ each. Cats and dogs are so overly populated that countless numbers of them are put down every single day. Our own local shelter does over 100 cats per month.

Wow that's cheap, around hear it's about $45 to spay plus rabies shots cost.
Both my family and are neighbor are in the same boat where both trying to reduce the cat population by spaying and neutering, but we don't have the money to fix everyone.
We are currently waiting till my mama cat Blue Eyes is not nursing or pregnant so we can get her spayed(she is my family's only unspayed female) . Does having unspayed or unneutered cats make anyone a bad person? No, so if your neighbors a decent person try taking to them they might be working on it or currently can't afford to do it.​

When i had that problem i trapped them and either found them homes or brought them to a shelter...

I have to add before we moved to this town we lived right next to an army base where people dumped cats all the time ...in one year my husband trapped and brought to the shelter 27 unaltered cats just out of our yard ..and that barely put a dent in the population!

unfortunatly the people that NEED to know this the MOST will not read it

sadly it is the frosting on the cake that cats do what they do because they do not know any better but we do what we do even when we do know better ..sigh ..

Thought I'd chime in with my 2 cents worth. When we moved in to our current place about 3 years ago, we discovered that the next door neighbor was feeding a large (40+) colony of feral cats. It has taken a couple of years of biting my tongue, being polite and doing a lot of the work, but we finally got the cats gone.

We trapped the ones that we could, but eventually you run out of dumb ones that will actually trip the trap. When that happened, I turned to the wisdom of BYC for help and got a GREAT tip... acepromazine. Since it sounds like you have horses, you probably already have some. I put about 10cc in a can of cat food, pulled up a chair so I could keep track of the critters and waited. I may have dosed a little light because it took about an hour for them to slow down enough to be catchable. But in the end we got 'em!

I still have a good relationship with the neighbors, probably better than I would have had without the cats, since we spent a lot of evenings devising traps worthy of Wiley Coyote.
hide.gif
Yes, there were times I would have like to call animal control and just let them deal with it but sure didn't want to start a feud about my critters.

Oh, if you can get the girls, the toms will eventually go away. And praying for a hungry owl doesn't hurt either!

What is SSS? I would trap them (discretely) and bring them to a shelter.

My neighbours annoy me at times because they think it's perfecrtly acceptable to put the cat out at night to roam the neighbourhood but are the first to complain when they see someone in the park with a dog off leash.

Recently we have been awakened by fighting cats in our driveway or found the moaning cat in heat on the back fence.

I would be afraid to complain or they might retaliate by calling in my illegal chickens. That's why I said discretely.

Quote:
Good advice!

Thanks to you all! I knew I could count on you to back up how I feel and to help give me options on how to deal with this problem the best way I can.
smile.png

I hope others have learned from your advice!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom