Neighbours complaining!!!

berryherbquack

Hatching
Sep 7, 2015
I live in the UK and bought 2 pekin bantam chicks as pets a couple of months ago that were unsexed. They are now 16 weeks old, and it turns out that one is a hen and one is a rooster. However, the neighbours have been complaining about the rooster's noise and we have to rehome the rooster now. I found a farm that are willing to adopt them. However, I still want to keep the hen, but will the hen be okay living by herself? But I was worried as the chickens have grown close to each other and would it be better giving both the hen and rooster to the farm? Or is there any other solution?

Someone please help, but no unhelpful solutions as they are pets and mean a lot to us.

As flock animals, they need friends. Lone chickens don't usually fare well.

As welfare for the two, it may be better to give them both away and start anew with new pullets/hens.

I have heard that they need some company to really thrive. I have only had chickens for 5 months now, we bought 5 (fully grown) hens. and so far they have been doing well. I would agree with "chicken canoe" probably get rid of them both, and start new with a few pullets. You might also try sending some eggs to these neighbors. that might change there tune.
wink.png
good luck

Back
Top Bottom