Neighbours dog keeps breaking into our yard-what do?

While I do agree that better fencing may save you problems with other predators I do not think that you should be responsible for keeping out your neighbors dogs. THEY should be responsible for containing their animals.
If you have not asked the local pound or whatever authority you have regarding roaming dogs, ask them what your options are. Here, if an animal (domestic or wild as long as not a protected species) is threatening you or your livestock, you are able to shoot it. I think that most people catch the dog and contact the owners at first but if they refuse to contain their animal, they should not own that animal.
I have even seen ads on craigslist asking to rehome a dog ASAP because it kept killing the neighbors chickens and the neighbors have now said that they will shoot it the next time it does.

Follow the proper channels, advise your neighbors and do what you need to do.

Sorry for the losses. I just had my first loss yesterday but am not sure what did it.

While I do agree that better fencing may save you problems with other predators I do not think that you should be responsible for keeping out your neighbors dogs. THEY should be responsible for containing their animals.
If you have not asked the local pound or whatever authority you have regarding roaming dogs, ask them what your options are. Here, if an animal (domestic or wild as long as not a protected species) is threatening you or your livestock, you are able to shoot it. I think that most people catch the dog and contact the owners at first but if they refuse to contain their animal, they should not own that animal.
I have even seen ads on craigslist asking to rehome a dog ASAP because it kept killing the neighbors chickens and the neighbors have now said that they will shoot it the next time it does.

Sorry for the losses. I just had my first loss yesterday but am not sure what did it.
x2

x3

Electric poultry netting might be a good option. It's easy to set up and moveable and will help contain your birds in a safer area. I don't know how much of a zap it carries but it might be enough to discourage the neighbor's dogs that they apparently are unwilling to keep on their own property.

This keeps happening so obviously they don't really care about you or your chickens and they must not feel all that bad about what their dogs have done. If they did they'd keep them penned up. So no, you were not out of line in finally sending this dog off to the pound. They may not like you anymore but they aren't exactly being great neighbor's either! Far from it.

In a perfect world none of us would have to put up fences to keep other peoples animals out but the truth is that's just the way it is if we want to keep our birds alive. There is always, always going to be uncaring, unthinking people in this world who don't give a rat's behind about anyone else and there are always going to be dogs running loose. So, for the sake of our birds, we owe them a safe place to live.

You don't have to fence in your whole yard, just between you and the neighbor with the dog. One the dog gets a good hit off the fence it won't come near there again. The next best option is convince the neighbor to buy or borrow a shock collar. If you do put up an electric wire, you don't want it to be noticeable, the dog will think god got him.

You don't have to fence in your whole yard, just between you and the neighbor with the dog. One the dog gets a good hit off the fence it won't come near there again. The next best option is convince the neighbor to buy or borrow a shock collar. If you do put up an electric wire, you don't want it to be noticeable, the dog will think god got him.
Not true. Ive got a 50+ mile fence charger on 5 miles of wire. currently sitting on 17,000 volt on the lines. Even with 6&7 strands of wire dogs and coyotes will still go through it. Remember electric fence is a psychological (pain) barrier not chain-link fence.

Many folks don't know it, but if all your wires are energized, and the weather has been very dry, there is little grounding, except at night when there's dew on the ground. If you have 3 wires, leave the middle one un-energized, and ground it well. This way, the critter gets shocked as he passes between the strands. If he goes under the bottom one, well, you just have to hope for grounding to the ground. If you have more than 3 wires, just leave the second ground the second from the bottom.

When an animal acts like, kills like and preys like a predator. IT IS A PREDATOR! And, you are perfectly justified in taking actions based on this simple rule of nature.

Never threaten your neighbor's dog to the neighbor or anyone else. It's also not a good idea to write your intentions anywhere. Many folks who have run out of options choose the very quiet methods of either a spring-up snare or a conibear style body-trap to prevent future losses.

My neighbors are all fine folks and we watch out and care for each other. But, none of them would have been afforded this many opportunities to solve the "house-sitting" problem!

Back
Top Bottom