Nerf gun war

Pics

FleishyWifey

Songster
Jul 5, 2020
Is it legal in Texas for the next door neighbor kids to come onto our property, and shoot our chickens with nerf guns? They're 5 and 7 and I'm 99% sure their dad told them to come over because our rooster "is annoying" I then put them back in their run and the kids opened their run and let them back out so they could shoot at them some more. And No, the chickens were no where near their property because we have close to two acres on county land and the coop and run are the opposite side as our neighbors.

In fact (sorry for the double comment) if you have a friendly sherrif/police department, ring up the department and ask them what laws the children are breaking exactly. Install a video camera, take the video camera and the list of offenses to the father and basically just tell him to tell his kids to stop. (people think you are more serious if you have a list :lau ) once again, good luck!

Probably thinks it’s harmless fun for the kids. He’s wrong, of course. Teaching them to trespass for one. Targeting livestock, for another.

because the kids were easily able to let your chickens out, you might want to make it harder for them to do so, as kids are kids and bored kids will sometimes do things they know they aren’t supposed to bc they are bored. One day you might not be home snd parent(s) might be “too busy” so the kids go looking for something to do.

good luck with resolving this. Above suggestions are good: set up camera, talk to law enforcement, list incidences, including the one that already occurred.

Be a good neighbor and get rid of the rooster if you can. This is why chicken laws or hoa get started. I share egg with my neighbors.
You can nip this in the bud or grow it into an oak tree.
send the 5 and 7 year old home with some baby chicks (males) and fresh eggs for mom to cook.. That will fix dad and his nerf gun.
its a winning move. They keep the chicks and now are chicken folks or they bring then back and you keep the chicks they have named but they have to come take care of their chicks and see when their new pets lay their first egg. you have an opportunity to befriend the kids. don't pass it up. Neighborhood kids protect their own.

I would put up no trespassing signs and if I saw the kids, explain to them it’s not ok and they need to leave while you record it and tell them you’ll have to talk to their parents if they come back. Lock your gates to your property and lock your coop door and if you see them scaling fences record it, tell their parents it has to stop and then go to police as a last resort if your kind requests go unheeded. Unless of course the parents are jerks and you can’t talk to them. Then record incidents and call the police and if you have to call more than once press charges.

Back
Top Bottom