Nerf gun war

I agree with most of what everyone is saying. Get cameras, contact the parents and law enforcement. Then go clean up the nerf darts. As a mother to a 9 year old, I know how those dam* darts get everywhere! And chickens, dogs, any other animal can eat the darts and become ill. They can get stuck in crops or be hard to pass. Not to mention, very annoying when it comes time to mow

Don't punish the kids. This is awful parenting and a child, especially one so young, wouldn't consider hurting animals on this level.
Talk to the parents and threaten to get the law involved. For the safety of the chickens, reinforce your run. Cameras are optional, but a good threat may set those parents straight.
Good luck.

I don't know if I'd go straight to threats, because people tend to get defensive and double down and something terrible could happen to your chickens if these people the awful kind of people.

But this situation does need to be addressed. I would approach it as an investigation--ask the adults over there if they know what their children have been up to, and take it from there. This should confirm your theory about whether they think the rooster is annoying or not, and why. But I'd try to avoid escalating things until it's absolutely necessary, because such situations tend to get out of hand. I've had disputes with neighbors before and once the police get involved it can turn into a real pain for everybody if your neighbors are the retaliatory type. I'm not saying don't call them, just try to address this face to face before you bring in outside help if you can.

I 100% agree with the post about recording any and all interactions you have with the kids and if you have to interact with them, I'd keep it short and simple, but use clear and direct words that won't be easy to mix up for the kids whenever they run home to tell their parents. I would take things up with the parents tonight so you can avoid having to deal with the kids at all, if possible. People are crazy nowadays and you really have to make sure you're protecting yourself in every way over the smallest things. I wish you the best and hate you're having to deal with this complete and utter nonsense from pathetic neighbors. What kind of person thinks this is ok? This world is full of some real life monsters

Be a good neighbor and get rid of the rooster if you can. This is why chicken laws or hoa get started. I share egg with my neighbors.
You can nip this in the bud or grow it into an oak tree.
send the 5 and 7 year old home with some baby chicks (males) and fresh eggs for mom to cook.. That will fix dad and his nerf gun.
its a winning move. They keep the chicks and now are chicken folks or they bring then back and you keep the chicks they have named but they have to come take care of their chicks and see when their new pets lay their first egg. you have an opportunity to befriend the kids. don't pass it up. Neighborhood kids protect their own.

no offense but I think this is a really bad idea.

OP should not have to get rid of their rooster because they have rude neighbors.

She/he should certainly not give baby chicks to people who neither indicate a desire for or ability to respect animals.

A gift of eggs when having a come to Jesus with this neighbor, I agree - this could be a nice gesture to try and keep things friendly while broaching a serious subject.

well, if you don't need the rooster, why keep it. if you are disturbing your neighbor be it your rooster, barking dog or anything . Thats just rude. Its called common courtesy and being neighborly. Just because you can and its legal doesn't mean you should at the cost of living next to pissed off people.
Because maybe that rooster is a pet. That's like expecting everyone with a barking dog to just get rid of it

Because maybe that rooster is a pet. That's like expecting everyone with a barking dog to just get rid of it
Get rid of it? The police will fine you and then make you get rid of it for being a nuisance if it keeps barking all the time @4am. Like i said before, this is why laws and HOS get started. Pet or not, if you do not need it for protection or breeding and it stops friction with the neighbor. Talk with the neighbor and stop guessing. He might not know the kids are being KIDS. The rooster might not even be a problem. if it is and you need it for breeding or protection so be it. Being right and being legal does not resolve being rude.

Back
Top Bottom