nerves taking over

loupan

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 24, 2011
newzealand
Is it just me or does everyone get so nervous the last few days that they convince themselves the chicks have died i feel like im going crazy
smile.png

Right there with you.
lol.png

I heard one of my 4 peeping, but the others I float tested (again)...all moved, nd the peep'er has now PIPd! (tomorrow is day 24)

I have ordered 2 orpingtons and 1 arocauna that are due same day as mine just incase gosh its so nerve wrecking dont think i was this nervous being pregnant lol

how do you do a float test, and that wont kill the babies? I use a flashlight, is there any other way to tell other than the candling thing? Wish I knew how to float test

I have been just reading up on the float test but it advises you to do that when the chicks are overdue i was tempted to put my mind at reast but im afraid i will harm it at this stage, i hate to think i may have harmed my wee baby by candling to much i was getting obsessed with seeing it moving around i just hope this hasnt harmed it
sad.png
that was my first worry when i couldnt see it moving around anymore .

so how do you do that, if it floats DEAD if it sinks its alive? I have Several I just break open if I aint sure, I broke one open after it was over due, and it was alive, but died. GRRRR

i was reading this from a byc member i also looked on you tube had a few vids on there hope this helps let me know how it goes
smile.png

Many Folks Are Having Eggs Go Overdue For Hatch And Wondering If They Are Duds, Late, Or Have Had Some Sort Of Fetal Demise.... The Float Test Is Simple Yet Effect Way Of Checking Egg Viability.

I Normally Give Eggs A Full 24 Hrs Overdue Before Float Testing. It Works On All Bird Eggs- Period! Takes Very Little Equipment Or Time To Do And Is Easy To Perform.

Start With A Bowl Of Sufficient Depth To Allow The Eggs Your Testing To Float Freely Or Sink. Add 100 Degree Water To The Needed Level And Allow It To Settle( Quit Swirling And Calm Down)

Once Settled Take The Egg Or Eggs To Be Tested And Gently Lower Them Into The Water With As Little Disturbance As Possible. You May Need To Wait A Few Minutes For The Water To Settle Again After Adding Egg/ Eggs. Then Just Watch....

Eggs Are Judged By Observation With Results As Follows:

1. Sinker= Dud, Never Developed

2. High Floater (like A Fishing Bobber Without Weights) Say 45% Or More Of The Egg Above The Water Line= Dud, No Development Or Fetal Demise, Likely Rupture Of Internal Membranes Causing The Egg To Dehydrate.

3. Low Floater= Viable Egg, Development Full Term

4. Low Floater Rockin And Rollin! This Is The Live Embryo Moving Inside The Egg= Definate Viable Egg!

Once Test Results Complete Take Viable Eggs And Gently Pat Dry And Replace In Hatcher. Duds Are Best Discarded At This Time.

It Should Be Noted All Eggs Warrant Close Inspection Prior To Float Testing--- Any Pips In The Shell? Do Not Float Test! If The Shell Is Broken, Pipped Or Cracked In Any Way Water May Enter And Drown The Chick Inside

Don't go by sink or float...2 of my ones currently hatching both sank but still moved. Once the water settles watch to see if the egg moves on it's own.
wink.png
Yes, only do if they are overdue and you see no rocking from them and only if the egg shells are still intct (not pip'd)

I learned how to do the float test the morning after assuming I had a dead turkey egg (saw no movement by candling) and cracked it open and the poor thing gasped for 5 min and died
sad.png

If my poor egg doesnt hatch i dont think i will be able to bring myself to crack it open i will be so scared
sad.png
im a right wuss when it comes to my animals lol how long should i let it go over before checking again would you advise to candle if its late or will it start smelling bad anyway if its died, i had a sniff today but to be honest doesnt smell bad at all just as an egg should lol i would have thought if it was dead it would be smelling by now the other eggs that were bad smelt off and made the incubator smell funny to but as soon as i took them out it smelt fine again my god there is so much to remember with this chicken hatching ,it was so much easier getting my other hens at a day old lol

Back
Top Bottom