Nervous about McMurray order

We've bought meat birds twice from McMurray and once from Meyer. (plus many other birds from McMurray) Although our meat birds from McMurray seemed healthier and grew faster, their insides were a mess (busted gall bladders easily, fluid on the heart, etc) and a few developed splayed leg. We've never lost any as chicks through McMurray other than to a cat and a snake and shipping from McMurray is always fast and reliable. I also have no idea how they manage it but we always get our birds within two days with no dead chicks. Not thrilled with their customer service but that's no reflection on the quality of their birds.

Meyer on the other hand took three tries to actually get us a single live bird. They did replace the birds but it was still a problem because we ended up having to wait several weeks between shipments until they had enough extra to ship us. Their birds didn't grow very well at all, taking 12 weeks to reach 6 lbs where my others have only taken 6 weeks, which plays havoc with paying for feed and lighting and cleaning out their pens, etc ... However, they cleaned better than any of the other meat birds we have ever done. There were no ripped skin, no splayed legs, no heart issues, large livers, feathers cleaned up very nice ...

We haven't used Ideal so I can't comment on them but if they can ship to you by the next day, you're better off going with them.

We keep a closed flock.. no guests.. no taking the birds to shows.. and we don't visit anyone who has chickens. It's not that we are paranoid.. I just like my little bit of biosecurity and so far it's been working for us.

I know there is always a chance of picking it up.. but we do our best to minimize that.
I agree with the biosecurity but unfortunately you can only take it so far. Did you know the skin form of Marek's, with it's dander, can actually come in on the wind? When I read this and later had a Vet confirm, I almost gave up right then.

We've bought meat birds twice from McMurray and once from Meyer. (plus many other birds from McMurray) Although our meat birds from McMurray seemed healthier and grew faster, their insides were a mess (busted gall bladders easily, fluid on the heart, etc) and a few developed splayed leg. We've never lost any as chicks through McMurray other than to a cat and a snake and shipping from McMurray is always fast and reliable. I also have no idea how they manage it but we always get our birds within two days with no dead chicks. Not thrilled with their customer service but that's no reflection on the quality of their birds.

Meyer on the other hand took three tries to actually get us a single live bird. They did replace the birds but it was still a problem because we ended up having to wait several weeks between shipments until they had enough extra to ship us. Their birds didn't grow very well at all, taking 12 weeks to reach 6 lbs where my others have only taken 6 weeks, which plays havoc with paying for feed and lighting and cleaning out their pens, etc ... However, they cleaned better than any of the other meat birds we have ever done. There were no ripped skin, no splayed legs, no heart issues, large livers, feathers cleaned up very nice ...

We haven't used Ideal so I can't comment on them but if they can ship to you by the next day, you're better off going with them.
The problems with the insides of the birds is the fast growth and amount of feed. If you can, the next time you raise them, hold back on the feed a bit towards the end and make sure to switch the protien percentage to one that is lower than what you started them on. Be as close to the 8 week mark as you can for processing and offer them greens and other food stuff they actually have to work at. I also give mine Sav-A-Chic with their water every filling for the first 2 weeks, then every 2 - 3 after that for weeks 5 and 6. Not saying this is the right way for everyone, only that this is what I do.

I've ordered from McMurray, Mt. Healthy, and Meyer.

I will admit, I've liked the chicks Iv'e gotten from McMurray the best. They all seemed a bit truer to breed type than the other two hatcheries, and the EEs from McMurray lay MUCH better than those from Meyer.

I've always been a big believer in getting chicks as close to home as possible. I'm in Ohio, which is why I tried Meyer and Mt. Healthy. But, my McMurray chicks have always arrived just as quickly as my in-state birds. There was no difference in the amount of time my birds spent in transit between Meyer and McMurray. Don't know how they managed it. I've ordered from McMurray for chicks ever since, since the chicks were so nice. Also, McMurray has always sent me extra pullets. My 2012 order included an extra EE pullet and two extra buff Rock pullets--no cockerel packing peanuts to deal with.

I ended up deciding to cancel my order from McMurray and order from Ideal.
Only time will tell if it was the right decision. I *do* feel better knowing that my chicks will be in transit for a lot less time and probably through a portion of the postal system that is very familiar with mail order poultry.

Both McMurray and Ideal have been top notch with customer service. McMurray canceled and refunded my money without question and quickly. When I called Ideal about changing the ship date they gave me they were very accommodating and friendly. From a CS point of view I'd happily do business with either company again.

Thank you all for your input, advice and suggestions. You are all a great help and resource.

I ended up deciding to cancel my order from McMurray and order from Ideal.
Only time will tell if it was the right decision. I *do* feel better knowing that my chicks will be in transit for a lot less time and probably through a portion of the postal system that is very familiar with mail order poultry.

Both McMurray and Ideal have been top notch with customer service. McMurray canceled and refunded my money without question and quickly. When I called Ideal about changing the ship date they gave me they were very accommodating and friendly. From a CS point of view I'd happily do business with either company again.

Thank you all for your input, advice and suggestions. You are all a great help and resource.
I just got my order from Ideal on Tuesday. Mine traveled from TX to east TN in 20 degree weather. I declined the packing peanut (male chicks) and only ordered 7 chicks, 3 ducklings. All arrived yesterday very healthy and all alive. Nobody looked sickly, in shock, nothing. I didn't even need Sav-a-chick. I have 14 hens, 12 of which came from Ideal 2 years ago. They are extremely healthy, beautiful feathered and I have never had one die. Everything that I have ever gotten from a feed store (even if I got them the DAY they came in) has died. Granted those three were all bantams, I think they just can't take the hot southern heat but still.Those all came from Cackle or Murray McMurray.

I think you'll be happy with your chicks from Ideal. All of mine are breed standard. All of my first batch were indeed female and they are excellent layers.

My Ideal chicks were hatched 1/29 and got to central MS on the 31st. All 25 BR alive in good health other than one that has something wrong with her leg. Not sure if it was from the trip or what. Very pleased with my Ideal chicks so far.

I have 2 BR chicks about 16 days old and they already come to me like puppies. I think they are going to be very pretty hens w cool personalities. :). Good luck w ur new babies!

Back
Top Bottom