Nervous about the smell coop again this summer.

Can someone please tell me how I would add a poop board into my coop. I plan on making another roost a foot away from that lower one. Basically will be identical to it.

Could I make it like a large table standing on legs or something? I'm really not good at this stuff

Can someone please tell me how I would add a poop board into my coop. I plan on making another roost a foot away from that lower one. Basically will be identical to it.

Could I make it like a large table standing on legs or something? I'm really not good at this stuff

Yes that would work but you can also attach the board(s) to the wall if your layout permits. Mine is 30" off the floor and the roosting boards are 8" above that. I had my board lower but it is hard on the back.

Ok so I'll clean it that often then. Do u still pick up poop off the ground with that too

I don't.

I start with a couple inches of bedding then add another couple inches every week or do -- depending on when it seems to need it.

Once or twice a week I throw a handful of scratch into the bedding to get the chickens to stir it up. If the power of chicken labor isn't cutting it and there are places that have become crusted or packed I stir it up with my manure fork.

Can I just shove the bedding into my run if I need to clean it out or do I need to put it at the edge of my property.

Yes, you can add it to the run. Out there with access to moisture, the beneficial bacteria from ground contact (adding mature compost and/or leaf litter helps), and the little composting organisms it should compost over time.

Not a great picture but my drop board is the white line against the black at the back of the coop, roost boards sit on the white boards on the side walls and are all at the same level, reduces conflict as the birds settle down.

Edit. This was my original layout, I moved the drop board up onto the white side boards and moved the roosts 8" above that.

1609629308334.png

Not a great picture but my drop board is the white line against the black at the back of the coop, roost boards sit on the white boards on the side walls and are all at the same level, reduces conflict as the birds settle down.

Edit. This was my original layout, I moved the drop board up onto the white side boards and move the roost 8" above that.

View attachment 2472928

Wowwww pretty coop

Wowwww pretty coop

Thanks.

The design is from the Prince Woods book (1923) "Modern Fresh Air Poultry Houses" (see "My Coop" for a pictorial). I take no credit other than doing the research to find it. The design is brilliant and does what it was intended to do - keep birds healthy and happy.

1609629924260.png

Back
Top Bottom