Nervous/Anxious Hen

Mar 18, 2021
County Durham
So I’ve added a new hen to my flock and the poor little lass is terrified of humans. I suspect she has had little to no handling in her year of existence which is a shame. I try to keep my distance from her because she gets so scared and will injure herself one day soon from throwing herself into everything she can to get away.
Any tips on how to handle this?
All my other hens just watch her in amazement.
Photo not related just think it’s a nice pic of my chill hens/cock.

Attachments

• B49F2A1A-D375-46BC-8186-6C720AD90BDF.jpeg
    B49F2A1A-D375-46BC-8186-6C720AD90BDF.jpeg
    860.4 KB · Views: 38
Poor thing, Maybe you could start buy trying to hand feed your flock a couple times a day. If she sees that they trust you enough to eat from your hand maybe she will come around too.

So I’ve added a new hen to my flock and the poor little lass is terrified of humans. I suspect she has had little to no handling in her year of existence which is a shame. I try to keep my distance from her because she gets so scared and will injure herself one day soon from throwing herself into everything she can to get away.
Any tips on how to handle this?
All my other hens just watch her in amazement.
Photo not related just think it’s a nice pic of my chill hens/cock.
I would continue about your business until she realizes you’re not a threat. Her brain will register after awhile; just like cognitive behavioral therapy. I would not try and handle / tame / hand feed her or anything like that; at this point this is her personality towards people and trying to force her to be handled will make the situation much worse. I’ve had terrified birds before and I just ignore them - eventually their brains ease up and realize there’s no threat. They may always be a little skittish and flighty, but that’s just the nature of a chicken

I've found that anxious, timid, scared chickens newly introduced to our ranging garden will get over their anxieties if left to chill out and explore their surroundings and make new friends. It may take 2 or 3 weeks. Also, we found that when approaching poultry to not do so facing full-on. Angle your body to the side and don't approach them in a straight line. Then they see us as a member of the flock rather than a predator.

Back
Top Bottom