Nervous newbie with a few questions

kittyacid

Songster
14 Years
May 30, 2009
Clayton, NC
My five chicks should be here tomorrow from MPC and I am excited beyond belief and a bit nervous. I think I am set up and ready but I have a few questions.

I'm using pine shavings covered with pieces of a cut up bedsheet, medicated Nutrena chick start, Gro-gel + B, Quik Chik and the chicks will be in half of a 24"x36" dog carrier in the bathroom with a red heatlamp. Okay so far, I think, but my questions are.......

1) I use the Quik Chik for the first two weeks, do I add anything to the water after that, it will be well water if it makes a difference.
2) After how many days is it safe to remove the sheet and use only the shavings? I am afraid of the chicks ingesting the shavings.
3)Treats only after two(?) weeks and once they get treats, I need to give them grit, right?
4)I have this week off, but starting next Monday thru Thursday, I am gone for 12 hours at a stretch. Is that too long to leave them alone? I can possibly go to work earlier and take a full hour for lunch, but I live 25 minutes from work so I would literally run in, check them and run out. Is that necessary?

Please let me know if anything seems amiss in my plans. Thanks so much. I have been lurking on this site for a while now and have learned so much from all of you!

Oh, I am located outside of Raleigh NC and my order includes five different hens: BO, Australorp, Blue Cochin, Red Silkie Bantam, Buff Brahma Bantam. They were all chosen for their temperment.

Last edited:
I was freaking out like you before I got my chicks but so far (had them for 2wks) They are pretty self reliant. I feed them in morning and at night and they are doing great. I think mine were prob a week old when I got them though. They are neat little critters.

I would suggest the quick chick be only given the first day or two. It will boost them from the shipment. Watch closely while your giving it because it can cause pastybutt. Other than that i think you have it covered. Make sure they can't spill the water while your gone. It will get the litter damp and that's not good for them. The paper can be removed after about 3 or 4 days. Good Luck and welcome to BYC

Please, anyone else?
hmm.png

Last edited:
I used paper towels for lining for the first three days and then put pine shavings over them. You kind of sense when to do it when you're changing the paper toweling 4-5 times a day...
roll.png

I'm home full-time with my chicks and I actually worry if I have to be gone for an afternoon so I know how you feel about going to work. If you can't find anyone just to check in on them once or twice while you're gone, just be really sure that they have enough food and water and that they can't drown in the waterer. I'm guessing they'll be okay. Sometimes I hear such a ruckus coming from the brooder I go to check on them to see what kind of trouble they've gotten in but they're 10 days old now and nothing bad has happened except a Pasty Butt episode - be sure to check their rears when you come home!

I'm in the same boat, expecting 25 Buff Orpington chicks on Friday.
The birds I have now came in as two month olds so I haven't been through this part.

I just have organic chick starter and water for them. Am I supposed to be using something additional? I want to avoid antibiotics as they need to be organic.

I am putting them in a small fixed up room in my barn with a concrete floor inside a dog crate which will have wood shavings on the bottom, and cardbord up the sides about a foot up. I will hang a red colored Christmas flood light above and have a special thermometer with humidistat and low temp memory features that I will hang on the cage.

I am here all day to check on them.

It's looks like your ready for them...You'll be fine...

Just give them time to adjust after there long travel...

What I do is check on them often, and leave them alone for the first day. I just make sure there warm and comfortable, dry, clean, waters ok and that there eating and drinking on there own.

Your going to be a great attentive Mom....Have Fun!!!

I picked up a few book from the Library about raising chicks learn alot from them, before i got my chicks, the day i got them they were put in a large plastic container I used for my camping gear which work out just great for 7 little chick i fed the them Starter food and they did just fine I did freak when they got Pasty but but I used warm water and a towel and got it soften up and clean them was gone in a couple of days .as for the water I just used one of those small plastic waterers from tractor supply and made a little stand from some 2x4 and they were fine with never got turn over by them, oh yeah make sure you dry them off when you clean that pasty but other than that I just made sure that the heat light was not to warm for them ,had to ajust it a few times during the night got a little cool at night here in Michigan but now they are 5 weeks old and in there house and doing fine.Had no Idea what i was doing but the info from the books and a nice lady at the Library helped out a lot good luck and they should be just fine you also!!

Back
Top Bottom