1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Nest Box access

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by reksat, Aug 4, 2011.

1. reksat

reksat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    western,MD
    I was wondering when I should let my 14 week old chics have access to the boxes in order to get ready for laying.Right now i have them blocked off to keep them from maybe roosting or something else. Any suggestions would be fine. Thanks.

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I would wait until 17-18 weeks.

3. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    you can leave them blocked until you see signs of getting ready to lay. red combs, egg squat, etc. you may have 2-4 weeks+ still to go.

4. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    I waited until they were 17 weeks but that was not by choice really, I was busy doing everything else and then realized they were all doing the egg squat, then the next day I found one egg lol. so the nest boxes went in immediately!! :) good luck

Ema

5. reksat

reksat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    western,MD
    Thanks everyone for the quick responses. Thats what i needed to find out. This site is so helpful with lots of info for news chic owners like myself;)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  6. MakNugget

MakNugget Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Portland, OR
    FWIW, I didn't block my ext nest boxes at all. They had no interest in them until about 2-3 weeks before laying, but that was just mostly peering in to take some notes on which one was better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by