Nest box designs

What has been your favorite nest box set up?
Do you prefer the typical, or have you gone non-conventional? Inside set up or outside set up? I'm looking for some inspiration for a different set up for my nest boxes. I like to re-purpose things and love seeing other people's cool ideas and set ups.

Also, if you have a mixed flock, do your bantams lay where your big girls lay? My oegb pixie isn't having it. I believe it's just too big for her to feel secure, so if you have run into this issue, what have you used for your smaller ladies?:D
Our coop has nesting boxes but the chooks far prefer kitty litter containers LOL. We live in Florida where the summers are long and hot so I drilled large holes on the sides for ventilation.
SFm_-DHidw2ALC44t-KvYlDzM6Hv6W-HOAbFE1S7vwvjYmTXeQKnHgkyt4WwYd_G8RadZyWnV6Tuvdbuuzko0No1rZoloUtLIrQLEAMHt2zK53Ssb9xSo1w3Aa0V10juA3gc7D4LaL5_baVnjAt7GeBx0AGVzchCH9CIvpyalYZnL616nENX60GGR1pkpHC2PU_nP4Ay-F-2d3eW5FNt-p9ttaw6FbaWDDpAWbKOpoU5xhO0xkkthRTioVXSOHQTw4uxcrEtWxiD6ggK4aphCw9ARXjAuMzx44nqee8vBeE78_Y4unk9iFrPLPLO2ImiWtmlhjeG0pcryG0lCWJ9y-b1lWGIPjyZPpM_Io9WY3zC9L9qPftMPcgqICbtYGc9_mfXPZq6-RXPaGaGr4leTQj7hUJRFMX85qIRCQgM79Ob64_u7hQ4vEeZ1wC7V1U5v-DuRWlS8zTQ7EvCZXeOXAPfySSpR0dqfz9sv6lKle9iudtA1x_suF63x13JF5KPYc_7UxCvpg9kA-MBmOpyuMXnu7qWimRnp4LCMjyMjyxoZQdJQ7EkyPtqjropwlnxduwZXK7c2CkqAHMa9b_nmtzTFZSCa-Fs9vvocgq8UutUwIfmLYpcn2hQfxlDmcQYgjAmkrnrVf9J0XveeYFduxbAJkaqibuqZQJoSnnjvkSIxGxqaK78mLIBckoR4KSG3vNfz1pP0hSYIM_vRZRahK5l09z0OWJgVnEOd3m1WdYaPTHvRnneBUNFWh4ZjtxPOqqT0Ldz1tiGocDxCcHjN59bDWFOhgSnvDqxfol7b3uNuSmmyTHBx4BhZoIIS-ExBFTqr6AaLOLSbQOzqZT92JellrplGg8iwFWHSBi6TNQJilKXbLA2bKgFjtUhJ255-0yBPzpxnqveTDGpieec0NzTphyxJwMWE270CZqMX2Vb5g=w1041-h780-no

We use Home Depot buckets bungeed to a wire storage rack on wheels. When the wheels aren't locked the rack is easy to move into the other half of the barn so we can take it outside for hosing off, but when it's locked it's steady and doesn't go anywhere. The buckets are held stable with bungee cords, which are also easy to remove and replace for cleaning. We cut the bucket lids down by 2/3 and put them back on, then filled the buckets with plenty of clean straw to the level of the lid rim. Our biggest birds are barred rocks and they fit comfortably. One bucket is so popular with the brown leghorns that I regularly find two of them in it. The buckets are arranged on two levels of the racks and we have eight total for fifteen birds, although the top rack, about 4' off the ground, is by far the most popular one.

I've used everything from installed nesting boxes on outside of coops to pre-made wooden nesting boxes, baskets, milk crates, old wooden soda crates, small totes, cat litter buckets and a few more things.

This is my current set up using the cat litter buckets but I've added a 12th since taking photo. Also I no longer use pine shavings or straw in them but instead bought a 3x5 fake grass rug and cut it onto mats for each nest with extra replacements. They're easy to clean, reusable and they save me money. I did a test in a smaller coop with 3 nests and no more eggs got accidentally kicked out, I didn't have to buy shavings or extra straw. I saved $60 the first 6 months with that coop. Some hens from my main coop even started laying their eggs on the mats. I also noticed fewer broken eggs too. Now all my chicken coops use the buckets with grass mats. I'm planning on using the mats with my next batch of chicks, just have a few more extra on the side .

20220117_104257.jpg

Then added the large container but when I got guineas, I moved the container to their coop and replaced it with another litter bucket.
20201227_141256.jpg

I keep a few extra litter buckets and have used them with broody hens. I leave them in the coops on the shelf until it's close to hatch time. Then take the bucket with hen inside to the brooder. Easy to put another bucket in its place. Once babies hatch, I remove the piece on front of nest so babies can have easy access. (Babies hatched a few hours after moving to brooder)
image.jpg

I've used everything from installed nesting boxes on outside of coops to pre-made wooden nesting boxes, baskets, milk crates, old wooden soda crates, small totes, cat litter buckets and a few more things.

This is my current set up using the cat litter buckets but I've added a 12th since taking photo. Also I no longer use pine shavings or straw in them but instead bought a 3x5 fake grass rug and cut it onto mats for each nest with extra replacements. They're easy to clean, reusable and they save me money. I did a test in a smaller coop with 3 nests and no more eggs got accidentally kicked out, I didn't have to buy shavings or extra straw. I saved $60 the first 6 months with that coop. Some hens from my main coop even started laying their eggs on the mats. I also noticed fewer broken eggs too. Now all my chicken coops use the buckets with grass mats. I'm planning on using the mats with my next batch of chicks, just have a few more extra on the side .

View attachment 3387279

Then added the large container but when I got guineas, I moved the container to their coop and replaced it with another litter bucket.
View attachment 3387360

I keep a few extra litter buckets and have used them with broody hens. I leave them in the coops on the shelf until it's close to hatch time. Then take the bucket with hen inside to the brooder. Easy to put another bucket in its place. Once babies hatch, I remove the piece on front of nest so babies can have easy access. (Babies hatched a few hours after moving to brooder)
View attachment 3387359

You should make an article of this and enter it into the current contest.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/official-byc-article-writing-contest-19.1558165/

We splurged for the Best Nest box and while it is extravagant, I LOVE it and so do my girls! I had to 'train' them a little to use it in the beginning (because they were a new flock and afraid of anything new). The eggs roll out from under them into a covered tray, so they never get stepped on nor allow the ladies to become broody. And the eggs are super clean when I gather them. I have a walk in coop, so the box is 'inside'. It was the most expensive thing we purchased for them (other than the materials to build the coop) and we are glad we did.

Do you prefer the typical, or have you gone non-conventional? Inside set up or outside set up? I'm looking for some inspiration for a different set up for my nest boxes. I like to re-purpose things and love seeing other people's cool ideas and set ups.

Also, if you have a mixed flock, do your bantams lay where your big girls lay? My oegb pixie isn't having it. I believe it's just too big for her to feel secure, so if you have run into this issue, what have you used for your smaller ladies?:D
Went to the coop one morning and had an orpington and silki in the same box. Half hour later there was an egg from both. Guess that's one way to feel secure.

Purchased a HenGear laying box last year. From now on i will never go back to any other design. 6 hens use it now. Will be making my own or purchasing another for the other 6. No mess, no broken eggs, nobody going to be eating them because they cannot sleep in it, and no more purchasing shavings or hay/straw for the boxes.

My bantams use the same nest boxes as my large fowl. I like nest boxes that I can access from outside the coop. I always add a swing away drop floor. For easy cleaning. I am in the process of building roll out nest. I am hoping they will keep the eggs cleaner. We are having a mild winter. So mud is not in short supply.

Back
Top Bottom